Diesel Place banner

What engine oil should I use?

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  1dmbth 
#1 ·
Just bought a new to me '01 Duramax, what oil should I use when it's time to change? The truck has 81K on it.

#3 ·
Everybody has their own opinion on this, but I like the Rotella's 2.5 gal jug, dump it in and you are good to go.

#4 ·
you cant go wrong with rotella T 15w40. GM and DURAMAX both approve of this oil.

#5 ·
If money is not an object I recommend Mobil Delvac 1 5w40.

#6 ·
I looked at Shell Rotella, Mobil and Valvoline and all were in that $8 a gallon price.............is that a good price?

Also, what oil filter? Napa Gold?

Thanks for the help/advice

#7 ·
I get the 2.5 gallon jugs at Tractor Supply Co. for $18 and some change. Napa gold are good filters, most of the time I just run AC Delco filters.

#8 ·
8.00/gal is about right unless its synthetic, then double that figure.

#10 ·
I use the Delvac 1300 Super 15w40. AC or WIX oil filter.

#11 ·
Anyone use Castrol 15w-40?

#12 ·
Amsoil

AMSOIL. See My Garage for direct links to products. Search this site for "AMSOIL" for other opinions. --Paul.

#13 ·
For what it is worth; AMSOIL. A man's oil is about as hard to change brands as his whisky, so use a good one! I use AMSOIL and Gentleman Jack.:bow:

#15 ·
I use Shell RotellaT 15w40 and a Baldwin filter. Chevron Delo or Mobil Delvac for oil and Mobil 1 filters are very good choices too.

#16 ·
Chevron Delo 15-40 oil and ACDelco filters only.

#18 ·
I use Rotella T Synthetic 5W40 ($14 per gallon at Wmart) and stock Delco filter ($11 at the dealer). Oil still looks good at 5K. Only 25k on truck though.

Been thinking about an Oilguard bypass system...

03/ZF

toybreaker

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.