Diesel Place banner

what engine match

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  djb 
#1 ·
Have a 98 6.5 t with high miles and valve noise on pass side. Went through local classifieds and found 6.5 from a 95 and one from 92. Question is will these be compatible with mine or would it be better to just get complete rebuild specific to 98?

#2 ·
The 95 and 92 would work....those blocks won't have oil squirters...no big deal...

You would have to swap your IP onto the 92....

You may also need to change intake manifolds depending on whether the other engines have emissions equipment or not...

Why not just get yours rebuilt?

#3 ·
Single father with no garage and not a lot of time or money. Getting quotes from 4500 t0 5600 for rebuild then time or cost to do swap. seeing what other options are out there before committing. Thank you for the response

#4 ·
What is that - 360kmi - high time to replace the rocker-arm keeper buttons - they're nylon and will become brittle from heat and eventually crumble.

Place your palms on the turbo cover, notice how much quieter the ticking becomes.

Also remove the clamp on the upper heater hose pipe, pull it away from the engine a bit, see if the noise quietens.

But - the buttons should be replaced B4 you lose valves and pushrods - should quieten it down, if it is the valve-train.

#5 ·
so if I ask for rocker arm keeper buttons would they be sold seperate or would I need to buy a kit. I have never heard of these . This is not like being asked to find left-handed wrenches or something like that?

#6 ·
This should be the buttons GM P/N 23500076, I think Federal Mogul ones are the same P/N at your local parts house for about 1/3 the cost thats what I used, remember you need 16 if they sell them individually.

#7 ·
djb;1603450; said:
so if I ask for rocker arm keeper buttons would they be sold seperate or would I need to buy a kit. I have never heard of these . This is not like being asked to find left-handed wrenches or something like that?
No way now TD said you need a Bosn Punch, then I would question it.
My first ship a GMG3 told me get a Bosn Punch for the 3"/50 gun mount we were working on. But when I went down to the Bosn locker and seen the size of BM2 Rugg.:eek: I put 2&2 together and hauled arse!:D

#8 ·
Gunner0812;1604937; said:
No way now TD said you need a Bosn Punch, then I would question it.
My first ship a GMG3 told me get a Bosn Punch for the 3"/50 gun mount we were working on. But when I went down to the Bosn locker and seen the size of BM2 Rugg.:eek: I put 2&2 together and hauled arse!:D
Those never worked on me either gunner... but I do find it hard to believe that a GM figured it out...:lol: ... now go find me some gig line...

#9 ·
Now thats funny. :funnypost

#10 ·
Hand rail cooling outlet temp gauge.. Snipes.....

#11 ·
thanks guys the responses sure give me something to laugh about!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.