Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I am in a debate on exactly what this rating means. Stock hitch on my 07 Dually is rated at 7,500 lb weight carrying capacity. We tow with a pintle/lunette eye for our 12,000 rated trailer (no weight distribution system involved here). I say the weight carrying capacity rating is for the total gvw of the trailer we can pull. The other guys say that is bunk. Who's right and if you can give me a few web sites saying such would be appreciated!

BTW I already upgraded to a class V hitch rated at 12,000 lb weight carrying capacity.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You are right. Without a weight distribution hitch, the stock hitch is only rated to pull 7,500 lbs.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately a lot of people around my area do not get it when it comes to the tow a trailer especially over the 10,001 limit. With the DOT crackdowns around these parts it is becoming a nightmare if you get pulled over. We are spending some money trying to make things as right as possible. And I am attempting to convince a few others to learn from some mistakes we have made and save them some money and aggravation in the process. If I can back it up with some on-line documentation then all the better. I have already forward some of the discussions on rv.net so if you have more then feel free to post.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
boondokr;1580983; said:
You are right. Without a weight distribution hitch, the stock hitch is only rated to pull 7,500 lbs.
the stock GM hitch isnt even made for a weight distribution kit. watch as you put it on next time, the hitch actually twists. my class V doesnt move at all

·
Registered
226 Posts
the hich rating is more about toung weight. I'm not sure what the rear dually axle rated at, 10,000#? Any way when they run you across the scale they usually weigh each axle. You could maybe weigh the weight on the jack and adjust your load to get this right. We haul alot of stuff with a 38' gooseneck and are licenced for 36,000 with a one ton dually. We're allways on the edge of overloaded and it some times gets tricky to get the right weight on all the axles. You'll notice semi's haveair slide 5th weels to adjust this weight. anyway?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tongue weight rating is listed at 1,000 lbs when used as a weight carrying hitch.

I think that most people look at the weight distribution rating (12,000 wd capacity and 1,500 tongue weight) and go with that without having the weight distribution components on it.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
dmaxaddict;1582061; said:
The tongue weight rating is listed at 1,000 lbs when used as a weight carrying hitch.

I think that most people look at the weight distribution rating (12,000 wd capacity and 1,500 tongue weight) and go with that without having the weight distribution components on it.
x2. That is why I upgraded to those ratings...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts