·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do sleds cost? Just curious.

·
Registered
992 Posts
LOL Steve, Im not sure i even want to ask..........But if you build one let me know and ill rent it, I need some practice. May even be able to give you a hand. A pull back would be simple, but if you wanted something like used in antigonish, i think it would double the cost.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ben46a;1584794; said:
LOL Steve, Im not sure i even want to ask..........But if you build one let me know and ill rent it, I need some practice. May even be able to give you a hand. A pull back would be simple, but if you wanted something like used in antigonish, i think it would double the cost.
I just wish there were more pull around, I know if Moncton had a sled it would be kept busy:D

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
You could probably rig up something fairly cheap that would mimic a real sled.

Get a used delivery van ($2000) that runs. Load it up with sand bags to it's GVW. You will then have to fab up a mechanism that will apply the brakes adjustably as a function of distance. If it's air brakes it would be easier.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I talked to the promoter of our area pulls yesterday and the conversation came up about sled cost. According to him a new sled cost in excess of 100k. The one we pull with needed some work when he purchased it and it set him back over 60. He is looking nationwide for a second sled now and has only found worn out junk in the 40's. I was surprised that they cost so much.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do you guy normally paid to pull? it would take a long time to pay back 100,000 plus normal operating expences

·
Registered
506 Posts
McRat;1584961; said:
Get a used delivery van ($2000) that runs. Load it up with sand bags to it's GVW. You will then have to fab up a mechanism that will apply the brakes adjustably as a function of distance. If it's air brakes it would be easier.
That is a great idea. But the hard part is figuring out a way to apply the brakes.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
tlee05;1585115; said:
That is a great idea. But the hard part is figuring out a way to apply the brakes.

If it's air brakes it's simple. You run the compressor up to full pressure and turn it off. Put a ball**** on a brake line with an adjustable bleeder on the end. Hook a rope and spring to the ball valve lever and to the pulling truck. You will need a couple of inches of slack in the sled chain. When the truck moves, it will start bleeding off the compressor air which will slowly apply the brakes until they lock.

You can get a cheap delivery van on www.dovebids.com do a search on Diesel. These are FritoLay 6.5 Chevy or 4-cyl Cummins trucks with high ratings for next to nothing.

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
A $100,000 piece of capital will require about $10,000 profit a year to break even. In essence, you could invest $100,000 and make 10% a year off it.

This is nearly $1000 a month after expenses, taxes, maintenance, fuel, insurance and labor.

You'd have to have a full schedule to make any money.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
McRat;1585129; said:
If it's air brakes it's simple. You run the compressor up to full pressure and turn it off. Put a ball**** on a brake line with an adjustable bleeder on the end. Hook a rope and spring to the ball valve lever and to the pulling truck. You will need a couple of inches of slack in the sled chain. When the truck moves, it will start bleeding off the compressor air which will slowly apply the brakes until they lock.

You can get a cheap delivery van on www.dovebids.com do a search on Diesel. These are FritoLay 6.5 Chevy or 4-cyl Cummins trucks with high ratings for next to nothing.
That wouldnt be very fair. Air would beed off so much every so many seconds appling the brakes so much. In theory if you could pull the sled fast enough, you could get to the end before the brakes started application. The guy whos pulling an ac w45 in first woudlnt be traveling as fast as the guy in a farmall h, therefore the speed would be differnt and the air bleed off would be different. Hope that makes since. New "self contained " sleds are 100,000+ but local antique tracotr puller club made one from basically scrap steel and parts and got away for under 6,000 dollars but wont stop modified tractors or semis either.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Typically we pay about $1400 a pull for the sled, operator, track scraper and scales. I sure would take some time to pay one off if you figure fuel and paying some one to transport it.

ZR1160;1585076; said:
What do you guy normally paid to pull? it would take a long time to pay back 100,000 plus normal operating expences

·
Registered
12,036 Posts
thejdman04;1585211; said:
That wouldnt be very fair. Air would beed off so much every so many seconds appling the brakes so much. In theory if you could pull the sled fast enough, you could get to the end before the brakes started application. The guy whos pulling an ac w45 in first woudlnt be traveling as fast as the guy in a farmall h, therefore the speed would be differnt and the air bleed off would be different. Hope that makes since. New "self contained " sleds are 100,000+ but local antique tracotr puller club made one from basically scrap steel and parts and got away for under 6,000 dollars but wont stop modified tractors or semis either.
Correct. It would be used for "tuning" your truck, not competition. And can be resold at the same price when you are done with it since (if it's air brakes) you are only spending $10 in modifications to the truck plus sand bags for weight if necessary.

You would adjust the bleeder to drain all the air before you hit 200 ft. You'd have to play with it. A smart guy (I is not) could figure away to apply the brakes on a function of distance, not time to make it "fair" for multiple types of pullers.

I haven't done this, but I've thought about it. It could also be used to tow your truck to the pulling area so you could actually do this all by yourself. But the dairy shut down, and we do not have a farm anymore to use for land so the idea was scrapped.

You could test out the theory cheap before buying a used van, by renting a Uhaul truck, loading it up with weight, and with a second driver in the truck, have the puller get the truck moving then apply the brakes to see if it will be enough drag to stop the puller.

·
Registered
989 Posts
ZR1160;1585076; said:
We Pay $30 per class pull. That will get you 2 pulls and into the pull off if you make a full one. The average at our pulls is about 50 truck's. Most pull in their designated class plus the open class. so let's say 80 trucks x $30 = $2,400. The event promoter still makes money on the Gen admission and concessions. It takes a lot of people and prep time to make an event come together. These guy's can't be getting rich.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
How about a lowboy trailer dropped w/ a skid loader on it. As you pull the trailer forward someone in the loader could drive it forward & that would put more weight on the front of the trailer, just like a weight box transfer. Just need a old trailer & a friend who is trustworthy to drive the loader.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
WSmudge, thats very dangerous for the dude on the loader. Be like, "Bubbe, hold my beer, I gotta go move this thang real slow like while Jim Bo pulls this sum beechin trailer wit his deezul truck" :lol:

On a serious note, I have dug a little online and came across THIS nifty site describing in detai lhow to make a decent load transfering sled. The price can be cheap if you can source some of the items (axxles, engines, steel skid plate, etc.) for cheap enough.

If I ever have my own farm, there'll be a dedicated 350' spot for this. ;)

C-ya

·
Registered
506 Posts
Like Mcrat said you could use a delivery van, but my idea is to put a giant spring with metal on bolth sides on the front of the van. Then hook the truck to the back spring plate as you pull it would compress the spring, have the back plate hooked to the brakes so when the spring compresses it applys the brakes.

·
Registered
174 Posts
the one they use at are local pulls is homemade, outa a old schoolbus stripped down. they use the trasmission, i believe theres several to move the weight box. it's driven off from the drive axle. it's got a 5hp motor to run the air compressor for the brakes and air bags. the front pan is held on using a tractor trailer 5th wheel. this way they can unhook the front pan and back a roadtractor under it to trasnport it. they use a loader to set the pan up on the sled. this will stop all the trucks at are pulls and the farm tractors. if ya had some hot trucks ya could always add more weight as the weight box is just a open box with lead and concrete tossed in for weight. it's works very slick.

the link that smokeshow gave is very similiar to the sled i'm talking about. the one in the link is just a bit smaller. you should be able to find a old school bus for less than a grand. heck you don't even need the bus part. just the frame and axle.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
theres always the old way of doing it, a sled in the conventional since and ever so many feet you throw stones on it or stones and people step on it. yeah somone could get hurt and cant do w/hot rod tractors but was done like this in the old days.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
I guess if you were very serious about it you might be able to build one. I think that if you are mechanically inclined and have the schematics you could do it for less than buying a new one. Make it so you can fill it with (weight) not sure what and then a weight distribution sled rigged like a real sled.. Doable for sure...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.