Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know what everybody is using to wash the outside of the trucks. The owner manual says not to use dish washing liquid because it drys the paint. I have always used dish washing liquid on my vehicles with no problems. Is there any truth to that?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Dish detergents are special surfactants designed to quickly remove fats and oils from dishes. Good waxes and glazes are made from fats and oils. Dish soap will remove all of your wax protection.

·
Registered
514 Posts
IIRC dishwashing detergent has a very high alkali content. Max is right that it definitely removes wax for sure. Much better off using a product designed for washing cars such as McGuires, Zaino, Mothers or what have you. Edited by: Hound

·
Registered
410 Posts
We in New England dont have to wash our trucks..the acid rain takes everything off !

·
Registered
444 Posts
Don't use dishwash soap regulary it's much to strong as stated. Actually it makes a good once a year wax stripper. Make sure you rinse very well. This idea is actually from the owner of Zaino wax. He suggests it to remove all old wax, prior to using Zaino.

I use Zip wax mostly but any brand name car wash would do.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Dunno, I'm just glad the automatic carwash near me can take trucks up to 7'. I got room to spare. It's great to sit back and watch the high school kids prewash it and the kids like all the multi colored soap!

·
Registered
42 Posts
*ZAINO*

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Zaino ...lots of work but well worth it. The Zaino leather conditioner is also the best stuff I've used to date ...and I've tried a bunch.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
Cheap gallon jugs of blue liquid that is labeled "Car Wash".

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
What about Ivory liquid, I was told it's not so harsh? I've used it for years and never seemed to notice wax removal. Is it made from the same stuff as other dish soap? It doesn't burn your eyes so I think it might be different but does anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
224 Posts
Dish detergents used to petrolium based..! It used to bubble the paint on your car, I guess they must have changed them..? It would still scare me to wash my truck with it though. I use Turtle Wax Car Wash but on a more regular i use the local Oasis car wash

·
Registered
490 Posts
I always look for car wash that states on the label, "Will not remove car wax". K-Mart had some green stuff for .97 a bottle with a $1.00 mail in rebate!

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Pick said:
I always look for car wash that states on the label, "Will not remove car wax". K-Mart had some green stuff for .97 a bottle with a $1.00 mail in rebate!

If you read the entire label it also states "Will not remove dirt"
Just kidding ...

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
You're soaking in it...

Dishwashing Liquid!

Relax Madge...... it's Palmolive

Reminds me of the old commercialEdited by: hoot

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
DMAX2DAMAX said:
What about Ivory liquid, I was told it's not so harsh? I've used it for years and never seemed to notice wax removal. Is it made from the same stuff as other dish soap? It doesn't burn your eyes so I think it might be different but does anyone know for sure?

Ah stop washing your eyes with the stuff ....

Most Dish soap has grease remover in it to make for squeaky clean dishes ... I feel like a chick here WTF ..
.. It will strip your wax ... Buy some car wash you el'cheap'o leave the Ivory soap for the dishes ...

Mac

·
Registered
224 Posts
Brake fluid DOT5 will remove your wax - and the dirt, and the paint
Leaves your hands silky smooth

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all of the responses. No wonder I can never keep a good coat of wax on my vehicles...duuhhh. It sure makes sense about dish soap removing wax.

It sure is great having a resource like this forum for knuckleheads like me...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts