Diesel Place banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well im looking into getting another chevy (never should have bought anything else!) i just sold my 92 cummins, im looking into getting a 2500hd extended cab long bed auto with the 6.0 gas, so heres my question. i got a 25ft gooseneck trailer i use to tow cars back from the auction. how do the 6.0s handle towing loads, such as that trailer (5,500 lbs) plus a truck and a car on it. probably around 16k max.

any thought or help would be great, thanks guys!

·
Registered
422 Posts
i bought the new 6.0 and love it i pulled about 18,000lbs and she handled the load just fine and i just installed the edge evo and when i turn it up and put some 91 octane in the tank it rips i also get about 14-17mpg on the hiway and 10-12 in town so all in all its your choice!
Tom

·
Registered
935 Posts
We pull a goose 3 horse trailer with the 06. I figure with 3 horses in the trailer it weighs a bit over 10,000. It does pretty good. Personally, if I was pulling more trailer, I would look at a Duramax. That's just me though. Lots of guys pulling big loads with the 6.0 gas. Whats the specs from Chevy? I'm thinking a little over 10,000 with the 6.0 single rear wheel truck. My thought is that if there was an accident, even if it wasn't my fault, a hungry lawyer would really look close at load weight. Just food for thought.
Ted

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My dad has a 6.0. He's hauled a couple big loads. We have a 32 foot goose and he has hauled some pretty hefty loads with it. He said that the 6.0 did well. It will struggle a bit to get something like that moving, but it doesn't do too bad.

If I was towing all the time, I would at least get a big block. I have a 7.4L dually and when hooked to the same trailer, with the same load, I can almost idle away with the load. That 6.0 needs some gas to get it moving.

Empty and no trailer though, that 6.0 will walk all over my 7.4! It is a snappy truck!

So I would say that you will do fine with it. But if you are hauling frequently, I guess that I would look at something a bit bigger. But the 6.0 will do it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys, i was a little worried going back to a gas after a diesel, the only reason for this is i am trying to get myself into a house pretty soon so i figured a cheeper gas truck would make my payment lower helping pay for the house. i do plan on buying a duramax in 2 years.

·
Registered
191 Posts
The 6.0 will tow about anything but something that heavy she's grunt and groan a little bit. If your looking for a gasser I would try finding an 8.1, similar mileage but more hp and the nice allison. Around here you can find them for about the same price as a 6.0. For instance a good buddy of mine just bought a 2001 8.1 with 84k on for 11,500 ec/sb fully loaded. But if a 6.0 is what your looking for i would not dis it seeings how i own one. But for regular heavy towing it is not my first choice.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Get the 4.10 gears if your going to pull that heavy. my previous truck 01 6.0 dually(4.10s) would pull a house. new truck, same motor different gears (3.73s), doesn't pull the house as easily. gears make a huge difference, as does a stick (with granny gear) compared to a automatic...

·
Registered
928 Posts
FYI all 2500hd with 6.0 have 4.10s.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I have a 2500 LD with the 6.0 and 3.73's and I pull a 20ft x 7 gooseneck trailer with 7 to 9 cows on it. Total weight tops out around 14 to 16,000lbs, and it does good. I find when you get up to speed on the highway, it has no problem, it just takes a bit to get there. Get used to the 2700-3500 rpm range and the 10mpg.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
This will be an unpopular response:

I used to have an 8.1 and it ran and towed pretty well. On one ATV vacation I got used to pulling my 25' flatbed with 5 ATV's - not a really heavy load but probably about 6,000 to 7,000 pounds total. We took a side trip and loaded three ATV's on my trailer and hooked it up to a friends 6.0. Towing power was like night and day, the 6.0 basically took forever to get to speed. As far as milage goes, when comparing the 8.1 to the 6.0 the 6.0 would get about 2 to 3 MPG more when running empty but once loaded, the milage was the same as the 8.1. From where I sit, if you want to go with gas, look for an 8.1.

However, if you are looking at frequently towing 16K, you'd be far better off with a diesel. Aside from the obvious performance gains, 16K is so far above the max tow rating for a 6.0 that you could have serious legal problems in the event of an accident - even if it wasn't your fault.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i know, i dont tow that often maybe once a week now and in the summer 2-3 times a week. i know i should be gettin another diesel but its just not in the cards this time around.:(

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think that part of the problem might be money for him. A 6.0 I believe is cheaper then a 8.1. And they are a lot easier to find. I would LOVE to get a 8.1 dually to replace my old 7.4. But I think that I will have a better chance of getting the cash for a Duramax.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Here's the deal. Anything will pull anything. It just depends on how fast you want to pull it and how often you want, or probably don't want, to stop at the pump. In severe cases, how many parts you want to replace! I have had 10,000+ lbs. behind my 5.3 several times. Guess what. It pulled it. Would I do it once or twice a week? Hell no!! I didn't count sled pulling, that's just play.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Go with the 8.1,with those wny winters you could use the extra weight:D
I sure do miss the Buffalo wings and pizza!!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Go with the 8.1,with those wny winters you could use the extra weight:D
I sure do miss the Buffalo wings and pizza!!!!!
there amazing arnt they!!!!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
you mind if i ask why you sold the first genner?
well the first gen was falling apart (not the motor) the tranny was slipping really bad, the body was falling off ( thanks WNY) and it just wasn't worth putting any more money into it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts