Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my truck has cranked bars now about 2" (5 turns)
i put about 1/2" of spacers on shocks but im not totally satisfied w/ ride
im thinking of going green keys and osu 2 "extended shocks will this
will i even feel a difference? i want it to be about the same height or even higher.. now its 39 3/4" front / 41" rear i want it level 41" all around.

is there a difference with osu keys and green keys?
anybody have any experiences with this kit?
heres the link http://www.offroadunlimited.com/ProductCart/PC/viewCat_P.asp?idCategory=366
heres a pic of my truck

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
while looking at their site i noticed it didnt see anything saying that the shocks are extended..?
when i called the guy said the schocks were mare just for them and wouldnt give me a part #.. do you think they are just regular 5100 replacements?

·
Registered
594 Posts
i have the green keys and the ride is moch better. you can put them in and adjust them all the way up but the front sits higher than the rear and it rides like $h!t. i kept the same shocks as factory and no problems here. hope this helps. P.S. i have 285/75/16 bfg mud terrains and there is 10 inches between the tire and the top of the wheel well all the way around.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
My HD is 41" at both ends with the OE keys and 5125's on 285's.

Why not just get the shocks and put another turn on the OE keys?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Specially made? They are for Dodges & happen to fit GMs. The shocks have to be modified to fit & are a motha to install. they ride worse than the yellow bilsteins. The torsion keys at $100 is redicoulous & you don't need them.
Im sure you do get 100 calls a day, there is alot of unknowing people outthere that get suckered in. Customer service sucks & the techs aren't any better.
what do you have to modify?
the reason i dont want to crank my bars any higher is becuse it ride like ****. thats why i want green keys. i had it at 41" all around and the front was bouncing all over the place...

on dps's sit 5100 are $85 each
> same shock right?
osu is $80 each

thanks for the info guys :ro)

·
Registered
201 Posts
So Clean-if you don't like the ride with them cranked then you won't be happy with the green keys. What do you think these will do to your ride? They are just a reindexed "hex" cut into the key to allow more preload in the torsions so you can have more room to tighten the bolt and get yet more lift. The ride will be the same if you twist the torsion to raise the truck regardless of what method you use to twist it. What you will feel a difference in is the better quality shock. but not if you overcrank the torsions.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Heres the #s off of mine
Front 0603BE5 6136T5
Back 3804BE5 6682H5
I ordered another rear due to a bad seal & the guy said to me "you have a Dodge". Checked a few other places & same thing.

Heres a link to Kores website look at the recon series, same shocks.http://koreperformance.com/performance_suspension.htm

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We couldn't get our hands on enough cams, so we had them casted, no different than the GM parts. Our shock is NOT a Dodge shock, Bilstein does not make a shock that works perfectly with a 1.5 to 2" lift. Call them and ask for that part #, and they'll tell you that we designed that shock to the full suspension travel of the HD, and it has our part # and logo on it. Call them @800-537-1085, it's a free call. Then you'll see that we're not over priced just trying to make a buck. ----
so are your shocks made for 1.5-2" lift?

so your shocks are off a dodge? (noreaster)
did it fit perfect? hows the ride?

whats the diff from osu bilsteins and the dodge's recon kit 5100's?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Ok I changed the thread title so it says ORU since people are getting confused.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
are there any other shocks that are about 2" longer

·
Registered
843 Posts
I got my shocks from ORU and they ARE for a DODGE. I called Bilstein and they said they do not have a shock available for 1-2" lift for a Chevy HD. ORU is blowing smoke, unless Bilstein has started producing shocks for them, however at the time I got mine they were not.

Now about the shocks. Install was EASY, just like any other shock I have ever installed. I had a tougher time intalling shocks on my wife's Trooper. The Bilsteins do have stiff compression so they can be very difficult to compress to get the bolt holes lined up. On my old lifted truck I got the Bilsteins that come with the RCD lifts. The shocks were no different as far as difficult of intallation. The pressed in bushings and sleeves are the appropriate size, slide right into the shock mounts, and the bolt slides right through. They are a perfect fit. The general use 5100's have totally different sleeve sizes and need to be modified in order to work with the factory bolts .

The shocks being for a dodge really does not matter. The lengths are appropriate both collapsed and extended. I measured , remeasured, compared, remeasured again... :rolleyes: I even checked the valving. I compared the valving to both the stock length and replacement Bilsteins. I called Bilstein several times to get the valving numbers. The valving on the replacement (dodge) shocks and the stock replacement Bilsteins are virtually identical. They are not exactly the same numbers, but they are so close (like 1 or 2 numbers) it would not matter. I think these ride way better than stock. They ride just like all the other Bilstein shocks I have had. I have had Bilsteins made for RCD on my 1/2 ton silverado with a Rancho lift. And I have had the ones made for RCD on my '02 2500HD with a Fabtech 6" lift. I don't see how others feel they are so bad. Especially when the valving is virtually identical and the lengths are appropriate; maybe it is do to how much the t-bars are cranked. Anyway good luck:)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got my shocks from ORU and they ARE for a DODGE. I called Bilstein and they said they do not have a shock available for 1-2" lift for a Chevy HD. ORU is blowing smoke, unless Bilstein has started producing shocks for them, however at the time I got mine they were not.

Now about the shocks. Install was EASY, just like any other shock I have ever installed. I had a tougher time intalling shocks on my wife's Trooper. The Bilsteins do have stiff compression so they can be very difficult to compress to get the bolt holes lined up. On my old lifted truck I got the Bilsteins that come with the RCD lifts. The shocks were no different as far as difficult of intallation. The pressed in bushings and sleeves are the appropriate size, slide right into the shock mounts, and the bolt slides right through. They are a perfect fit. The general use 5100's have totally different sleeve sizes and need to be modified in order to work with the factory bolts .

The shocks being for a dodge really does not matter. The lengths are appropriate both collapsed and extended. I measured , remeasured, compared, remeasured again... :rolleyes: I even checked the valving. I compared the valving to both the stock length and replacement Bilsteins. I called Bilstein several times to get the valving numbers. The valving on the replacement (dodge) shocks and the stock replacement Bilsteins are virtually identical. They are not exactly the same numbers, but they are so close (like 1 or 2 numbers) it would not matter. I think these ride way better than stock. They ride just like all the other Bilstein shocks I have had. I have had Bilsteins made for RCD on my 1/2 ton silverado with a Rancho lift. And I have had the ones made for RCD on my '02 2500HD with a Fabtech 6" lift. I don't see how others feel they are so bad. Especially when the valving is virtually identical and the lengths are appropriate; maybe it is do to how much the t-bars are cranked. Anyway good luck:)
is this in the rear? (sleeves)

thanks for the info

·
Registered
710 Posts
I placed an order from ORU the week before last, they sent me an e-mail saying they were shipping, but when they didn't get here this week I called them. Now they are telling me that the shocks are on back order and they will not get them for a month Censored

I'm thinking of getting the keys from someplace else, but I do want the shocks to match the 2" lift. Anyone got a part number for the Dog...I mean Dodge, shocks?:grd:

I'm not sure if the part numbers noreaster gave are for the Bilsteins or not.

·
Registered
843 Posts
is this in the rear? (sleeves)

thanks for the info
Yes. I can't rembember if the fronts were the same.

I will look at mine today and post the part numbers. Acutally, now the more I think about it, I got the same run-a-round from ORU. I ended up cancelling my order and got my shocks Rough Country?? in Utah?:confused: I don't remember, but ORU told me the same thing, shocks were shipped. However after not receiving them in a timely manner, I called, "Oh...they're backordered." Gee, thanks, give me my money back:rolleyes::mad:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts