Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of upgrading the 3208NA in the 76 my grandfather gave me, but i'm not sure which way to go. What is the difference between the Na block and the turbo block? I've heard an extra oil ring on the piston, but is that it? Good years for blocks? any ideas? thanks.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Don't know the difference between an NA and turbo engine but they aren't the best of an engine. Lots of head gasket problems. I would put in a 5.9 mechanical cummins. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
455 Posts
We got 2 old White farm tractors with them...Lasted for ever buttt damn they use OIL

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea, I know there are tons of better motors out there, and a 12V Cummins is defenitially one of them. The thing is that I basically want to rebuild this truck for my grandfather, and that was the motor he chose back in 77 when he blew up the 454 that came in it. There may be a few late model 1 ton trucks with this motor in them, and I'ld like to keep this truck in those numbers. I'm not building a monster, just freshening up an old truck.

Yep, it'll use a little oil, smoke like a freigh train on start up, and no efi live for this one, but it lasted for 25 years on the first build, and i hate the idea of buying another new truck that i need a computer to troubleshoot.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
I agree, a 5.9 would be much better as far as power, reliability, ease of swap etc etc.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Cat 3208 engines are great engines and only lose headgaskets after an overheat. The latest (yellow imprint) gaskets even do good as long as you don't absolutly cook it. Longevity should not be a problem with upkeep and oil changes. Seeing how it already fits the truck, it only makes sense to put one back. There are a few variations. Avoid the similar but 225 hp 1160/3160. Easy to spot because these have an inline pump. Turbo to NA differences are block, (some have piston spray tubes) cam, pistons, and injectors. I work mainly with marine, so not really up on hp ratings for truck engines. I do know the old 210 hp NA can uprate to 250 hp without a turbo with no real problems other than a healthy blast of black smoke when you get on it, and a fine gray haze when it is really pulling. Not much reason really to run a 3208T unless you want one. Good luck and if I can help you in any way, let me know.

·
Registered
441 Posts
" I know there are tons of better motors out there, and a 12V Cummins is defenitially one of them."

Having spent 5 years working for Cummins NW and over 20 total on diesel of all makes, Not really sure that is true. 359 cubes vs 636 cubes sounds like the Cat will enjoy a healthy advantage in longevity and low end torque.

Seriously though, sounds like a fun truck to drive with any sort of trailer...

·
Registered
988 Posts
I agree with oddplane, keep it NA. Switch to the 3 ring pistons, they are a huge upgrade, makes it a completely different engine. They also have
a little higher compression ratio. Switch to a roller cam, the later years of 3208 came with them. Turn up the fuel a little, easy 250 HP.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the later year motors, are they any more complicated wiring wise, or are they one wires like the early ones? what about the turbo motors, is there much to doing the na to turbo swap? i know it'll be getting a little more cramped in the engine bay, but i really would like to do the turbo swap. i am pretty sure that the block that i have is junked (was ran out of oil), so im going to eat the money for a core if i go with a reman block from somewhere anyway.

so, has anybody ever heard of rhino reman engines?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Look at all the GM and Ford Trucks on the Road with 3208s they seem to run very well. I used to have a Hesston Field Queen Forage Harvester that was 3208T used to replace the engine every 2 years or 5500 hrs. What killed them is that it ran wide open RPMs for extended periods of time. Had a GMC 7000 with 3208 NA and that thing would fly easily could run 75 MPH and that was with a 5+2 Trans and a 3.90 rear

1 - 11 of 11 Posts