• Condo/ Townhome

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Apartment

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Manufactured Home - Single Section

• Manufactured Home - Multiple Section

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • RV (5th wheel, Travel Trailer, or Park Model Trailer)

• Alternative (Geodesic, shack, mud hut, etc.)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Edit. I have allowed multiple selections to be made in the Poll.

As per the poll, what do you call home? Have you lived in more than one type? What are your impressions and observations?

Just curious. My guess is that most people either rent or own a site built, with manufactured housing following close behind in 3rd place. What part of the country you live in will also affect the type of housing available.

My wife and I grew up in mobile homes, lived in apartments & duplexes, owned a site built house (tract subdivision) and now have acreage and soon to be delivered Manufactured Home.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Born and raised in a site built. 9th generation in that house IIRC. Getting ready to move into another site built next month on my own. I always liked the square footage of the older site builts. The downside is that they always seemed to be broken up in to too many rooms. Houses today seem to have alot more open space and are more ADA compliant. If i were to build a house in the future, it would probably be a multi-sectioned manufactured.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Born and raised manufactured home trailer trash. I have never lived in a site built home....not that theres anything wrong with site built house.:D

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Personally, I think that if you go with a site built house it should be a custom. Tract/ subdivision style homes are typically built really cheap and with little care or concern for the future home owner. First hand experience there.

Anyway, my wife and I have been debating for about 6 months on building or buying a manufactured home for our 3 acres of forest. The manufactured home option won last week and we close on the house end of the week. Price, financing, and quality construction made the choice for us.

·
Registered
31,525 Posts
All of the above for me. Last 20 years site built homes. The one manufactured home was going to be temporary while we built but we liked it so much we never built. They are quick and easy but resale is better on site built. Hard decision.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All of the above for me. Last 20 years site built homes. The one manufactured home was going to be temporary while we built but we liked it so much we never built. They are quick and easy but resale is better on site built. Hard decision.
True. However less iniatially invested and typically a shorter payoff. You have to decide how long you want to live there, what you want and can afford, and just how important is "resale" value to you.

Resale is dependent on many factors that can vary with local and national economy, interest rates, and supply & demand. Case in point, our last site built house sold for about $20k under the appraised value. However, I neither "made" money or "lost" money, just was able to payoff and walk away.:eek:

On a positive note, our Manufactured home will be payed off in 10 years with a smaller payment than our last site built. Plus it is larger and the floor plan is much more usable and suited to "us".

P.S. New site built houses today are built with 50% to 75% "manufactured" components including trusses, walls, fixtures, and cabinets. The two biggest differences between a site built and manufactured home is the foundation vs. steel chassis and the quality/skill of the worker building the house. Everything else is left over "stigma" from the past.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts