211 Posts
brushed the snow off of her and ordered her new plow
blizzard 8611LP
started to fabricate a snow blower shelf that will bolt onto the sander

Reactions: wbens

·
Registered
131 Posts
I didn't do much today to the truck other then drive her to work and back! BUT a Bird did try to break my windshield by flying straight into it! Definitely not something you are expecting at 6 in the morning!!

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I thought about my truck sitting at the dealer, wondering if the tech working on it is scratching the heck out of my painted bumper cap like the last time they had it. . . .

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I thought about my truck sitting at the dealer, wondering if the tech working on it is scratching the heck out of my painted bumper cap like the last time they had it. . . .
Makes my groin hurt thinking about that...

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I'm driving it to work soon. It's filthy. It's low on fuel. There's sand/salt all over the floormats.
Hopefully I can change all of that this weekend.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Brought mine to the dealer to get the annual done. Asked about the recall I got re; the ignition and was told the parts were on back order. They called yesterday to tell me the parts are in so, the truck goes in on Monday. Apparently it's an hour job. Has to do with the ignition being hard to turn to the start position and then may not spring back. On Star notified me first, then a call from the dealer, then a letter from GM the next day. Mine has never been hard to turn or anything else. 2011 GM Duramax, long box, 4x4, crew cab, 1 ton dually.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
I'm driving it to work soon. It's filthy. It's low on fuel. There's sand/salt all over the floormats.
Hopefully I can change all of that this weekend.
Sounds like my truck lol. I try to keep it clean but it's hard with a work truck. I consciously try to keep my truck clean, kick my boots together outside of the truck every time I get in, remove any garbage at the end of the day, etc., but it's hard.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Filled it up to the filler neck for an even $100.00. Must be my lucky day!

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
built and installed a "headlight brightner" basically 1/2 of a Kennedy Diesel headlight brightner kit like I had on the 04. Gets 14V directly from the battery to the headlights instead of the 1+V drop through factory wiring. hardest part was removing the air cleaner assy to get to the PS headlight bulb. Factory bulb socket on one side plugs into receptical that goes to 12V relay connected to the battery, then battery voltage goes to cable with a headlight socket for each headlight. Each headlight has a seperate short ground to the battery ground terminal on each side.

Will check it out tonight and see how much it helps the anemic lights, at least compared to the 04.

Reactions: BanksLB7Duramax

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
ups showed up with my all weather front and rear mats, front and rear GMC mudflaps, console organizer, console storage bag, just waiting for the Lund bug shield to arrive.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
well, took a drive to see if the "headlight brightner" mod I did helped the headlights. Answer is a definite yes. Still not as good as the 04, but a definite improvement.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
well, took a drive to see if the "headlight brightner" mod I did helped the headlights. Answer is a definite yes. Still not as good as the 04, but a definite improvement.
Got any photos or wiring diagrams with a parts list? That would be cool. Thanks.

Reactions: wbens

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Got any photos or wiring diagrams with a parts list? That would be cool. Thanks.
If you have a chevy the best solution IMHO is to just buy the headlight booster kit from Kennedy diesel. It has a well made wiring harness, weatherproof connectors, weatherproof relays, a diode kit to have high and lows on together all wrapped in a harness the correct length along with installation instructions.

For those with GMC's, the Kennedy diesel kit is in some ways overkill since it is a one headlight system. So, the solution is to buy the Kennedy kit and
a) use as is but leave 1/2 of it not connected
b) as I did, unwrap the cable, remove the un needed half, and wrap it back up and use it. This route is more expensive than building your own, but the Kennedy kit is so profession and looks so OEM. I used the Kennedy kit on my 04, and decided I'd pay the $ to save the time and have it look professional.
c) build your own using the kennedy kit idea as a model.

If enough folks ask, maybe he could build a GMC only kit, when I emailed he didn't have plans.

link: http://www.kennedydiesel.com/categoryresults2.cfm?Category=5&SubCategory=81

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If you have a chevy the best solution IMHO is to just buy the headlight booster kit from Kennedy diesel. It has a well made wiring harness, weatherproof connectors, weatherproof relays, a diode kit to have high and lows on together all wrapped in a harness the correct length along with installation instructions.

link: Kennedy Diesel

I am not sure the Kennedy kit will work in a 2015? I looked at doing it, but it did not specify that is was compatible with the 2015 when I looked a couple months back. There is a main harness that connects to a sub-harness on the back of the lamp housing. The sub-harness feeds each of the high and low beam bulbs. It seems unnecessary, but that's how they did it. The 2015 Chevrolet has a H11 bulb for low beams and a 9005 bulb for high beams. I installed H9 and 9011 bulbs respectively and I had to modify the H9 bulb socket to fit. The headlight bulb swap helped, but not a significant amount low beam, but high beams are really bright.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I am not sure the Kennedy kit will work in a 2015? I looked at doing it, but it did not specify that is was compatible with the 2015 when I looked a couple months back. There is a main harness that connects to a sub-harness on the back of the lamp housing. The sub-harness feeds each of the high and low beam bulbs. It seems unnecessary, but that's how they did it. The 2015 Chevrolet has a H11 bulb for low beams and a 9005 bulb for high beams. I installed H9 and 9011 bulbs respectively and I had to modify the H9 bulb socket to fit. The headlight bulb swap helped, but not a significant amount low beam, but high beams are really bright.
your probably correct on the 2015 chevy. The kit has plugs for 9005/6 which also work for HIR1/2 bulbs, so it may not work for the h9, it will work for the 9011 since it is the same socket as 9005. So modifying a Kennedy kit for 2015 chevy probably wouldn't be an worthwhile task.

Actually, the way he does it does work very well for a plug and play solution. no cutting needed and does get 14+V to the headlamps and has a nice way to have high and low on together.

anyone planning on doing that on a chevy probably should talk to John.

A kit will work on the GMC, but as I mentioned, your only using half of it since there is only one single filament bulb with a shutter for high/low beam cutoff.

I think part of the issue with either vehicle is the sharp cutoff with projector lights on low beam. Similar to the old Cibie "Z" beam 7" headlights in the 70's. Fine on flat roads or when the road drops away, not so fine when the road slopes up in front of you. Very noticeable.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I ordered a Corsa 8004000 drone-free muffler for my truck when I removed the DPF - I'm going to have the DPF flanged at the back end as well and have the Corsa flanged on both ends so when smog time comes I can just unbolt them, swap 'em, get tested, and put the muffler back in. Yeah, the Corsa wasn't cheap, but I know I won't have to worry about any droning when towing up grades.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I ordered a Corsa 8004000 drone-free muffler for my truck when I removed the DPF - I'm going to have the DPF flanged at the back end as well and have the Corsa flanged on both ends so when smog time comes I can just unbolt them, swap 'em, get tested, and put the muffler back in. Yeah, the Corsa wasn't cheap, but I know I won't have to worry about any droning when towing up grades.
If you plan to leave the DOC (aka CAT) in place, you wont need a muffler. Youll be drone free with just the DOC in place.

·
Bidness is Boomin'!
7,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Washed mine!! Hooked the hose to the drain petcock on my hot water storage tank. Lots of brake checks by neighbors wondering why steam was billowing up from my truck.

41 - 60 of 635 Posts