Diesel Place banner

1701 - 1720 of 1725 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That crush sleeve can be a real pain. When setting pinion depth, it's best to leave it out, when determining what shim is needed, then installed at final assy.
True story,
Back in the late 70s, my 1st 12 bolt rebuild, I put a set of 3.55s into my 65 Goat. When I installed a "new" crush sleeve, it requested a torque of something like 250 ft/Lbs to crush it, and set. I only weighed 165 (at the time :shake:), and I used a 3/4" 3' long torque wrench, under the lift to apply it. I was bouncing on it like a chin up bar, trying to get the torque wrench to click. After all was said and done, when I drove the car home, it clanged, and clunked and made all kinda nasty noises. I crawled under the car, grabbed the companion flange, and was able to find a ton of play in the pinion shaft. The crush sleeve never crushed.

When I explained my dilemma to my Pontiac hi-po mentor, who was much older than me, with mucho racing experience, he said he doesn't use the crush sleeve. He puts a liberal amount of blue lock-tite on the pinion nut, torques it to the required rotating torque, then dimples the the nut at the threads with a small punch, to help keep the nut tight. Swore he never had a problem.
So, I did as he recommended, and that rear lasted on the street as my DD for about 10 years. Took lots of abuse, (tri-power, and a Muncie) Lot's of full throttle powershifts. "Ahhh, the good ole days.':rolleyes:

So anyway, I hear there are some kinda new kits out there that's improved the crush sleeve dilemma. Most of the rears I've done after, I just re-used the old crush sleeve.

Reactions: juanfo

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
It almsot looks like it needs a thinner pinion shim as the drive side is a lil to far down IMO .... but I would double check the backlash and try loosening up a bit first.

I run some terrible patterns that lived a long time ...

:bigglasse

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Hey guys thanks for all the replys. I tried the shims I had 3 thou +-. Both other options had the pattern whacked out. Best of two evils pick your poison situation. Used gears and used carrier. Sealed up diffs front and rear. All new steering and knuckle ball joints, new front ubolts. Should've bought tons for the money but they're like unicorns down here and still had to rebuild. Getting ready to fire it up this weekend and shake down. Either the diffs blow up or survive. I had the option of buying factory unmolested front and rear ten bolts for $200 but said hey f it I need to learn to build gears anyway. Thought it looked easy on the how to's. Videos don't mention it's not the same getting it done on a lift in a pristine shop with new parts than wet cardboard in the mud with all used junk. What a slog. Got the daily tagged so that took a ton of pressure off the build and was able to get off the freakin motorcycle commute from hell. Unrelated :eek:fftopic:Here's the daily.

Attachments

Reactions: legendman

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Your DD looks pretty rad with them Pirellis Juan. ('Cept the rims look to be missing a lug or more :rolleyes:)
Hoping for the best from your gear work. Good luck, and stay in touch.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Hey Joe thanks for the heads up. The lugs are there the studs are just really long so they can only come off with a deep socket to prevent theft. Truck is doing good. Ran it around the block and the front end is a lot tighter with all the new ball joints.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
LOL. The lug statement was a bad joke, Juan. Meaning you have a vehicle with only "4" on each rim. We're use-ta having at least 5, maybe 6 0r 8 even.
Glad to hear the truck isn't "wining" or clunking. Nice work.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Yeah I know right like 8 lugs on each wheel should be enough jjj

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Should've stayed at 3 inch blocks, good thing didn't go fives. The drive shaft got left with only a half inch of splines engaging. Now drop the shaft to get stretched 2 or 3 inches on the last week before christmas and half the population already on vacation.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
"What did I do with my 6.2 today?"
I "started it!" Because my 93 GMT400 6.2 has become my "fill-in" truck, till I can O/H my 83 dually, my poor 83 is being seriously neglected. Sitting behind my garage, out of site. I did put a new charge on my relatively new 900 CCA NAPA commercial batteries, a few weeks ago just to keep them alive. And I started it a few weeks ago too, when it was cold. It didn't start too easy, (as it never does below 50°), but it did finally light off, and I warmed it up about a half hour.

Today, (nice and warm out) it's almost 65°, (and Juan is laughing:)), it started pretty easily. And now it's running, so I better not forget to shut it off.
Take care men.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts
Today, (nice and warm out) it's almost 65°, (and Juan is laughing:)), it started pretty easily. And now it's running, so I better not forget to shut it off.
Take care men.

It was awesome today for the 11th of January, pretty sure some records were broken.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
That's great Joe I left some batteries without a charge and lost the set, they were working fine otherwise. Waiting for that summer weather.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cried as I tried to start it after a head swap. Then pulled apart the steering column while I wait for a new ignition cylinder and turn signal switch. I also started finishing up the wiring for all the lights everywhere.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Bought a cummins :confuzeld:cbadge2:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Picked up a 97 2500 2 wheel peeler for 2k. The trans in it was "slipping" when I got it. Guy ran it low on fluid... Put some fluid and got 1-3 back, but OD is smoked. Doesn't get enough line pressure to grab the gear. Engine is going in my '86 and I'm trying to track down a 6 speed and the ridiculously rare Dodge 29 spline NP205.

In other news, started into my D60 swap! Gotta change steering boxes tomorrow then I can start bolting things together!

My friends always asks me why I bought a forklift, this here answers it (to lift $hit). That thing is pretty sweet, though a pain in my butt. Has a Perkins in it! Darn near every hydraulic seal leaks though... I need to rebuild the mast pretty bad.

Attachments

·
Registered
82 K10 6.2
14 Posts
Last night I went to change my crossover tube gaskets because of a small coolant leak that I noticed. After I got everything back together, I could see it wasn't the gasket leaking, it was a crack on the inner pass side bolt ear.. cracked right off as I took it back out. Found one on ebay from texas. Always something.

·
Administrator
16,936 Posts

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Picked up a 97 2500 2 wheel peeler for 2k. The trans in it was "slipping" when I got it. Guy ran it low on fluid... Put some fluid and got 1-3 back, but OD is smoked. Doesn't get enough line pressure to grab the gear. Engine is going in my '86 and I'm trying to track down a 6 speed and the ridiculously rare Dodge 29 spline NP205.

In other news, started into my D60 swap! Gotta change steering boxes tomorrow then I can start bolting things together!

My friends always asks me why I bought a forklift, this here answers it (to lift $hit). That thing is pretty sweet, though a pain in my butt. Has a Perkins in it! Darn near every hydraulic seal leaks though... I need to rebuild the mast pretty bad.
So what 6 speed are you using cause a 6L80 is 32 spline ?

1701 - 1720 of 1725 Posts