Diesel Place banner

1681 - 1700 of 1725 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
We'll see if I get energetic enough to actually slap the big dual piston calipers on my D60 from a newer truck (2004 3/4ton ish)

Reactions: Bigboytoys

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Ya the driver side can be reused and the outer passenger side Ubolt buuut the it's wider cause it's made for 3in springs and one major hiccup I ran into, the inner bolts and the plate have to be absolutely perpendicular to the diff.

View attachment 620248

So my fix was to custom fab a 9 degree wedge plate to put under the plate, through bolted to the spring pack like a reverse zero rate block.

View attachment 620244

View attachment 620246

F'n tall truck problems ...

:bigglasse
What material did you use to make the wedge? aluminum, steel?
Asking because I have to make some 3 inch lift blocks to level out the back of my truck

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
I used steel.

Bottom layer was 1/2in plate with 5 pieces were welded on like steps, starting with 3/8ths to 1/8th then ground down.

You can use square tubing as long as you drill the top centering hole, then the bottom pin hole, dropping in a cut down bolt the same size as the alignment hole in the spring perch's into the lower hole from the inside of the square tubing, 3/4in I believe, welding the head to the inside, then plate the ends.

IMG_9308.jpg

Yes, I have made blocks before.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I threw my 87 on CL. $1500 for a running truck seemed reasonable. If it doesn't sell by the end of the month I'll part it, all the options will be great adds to the stripper cab I'm building.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yep, that's it. had a guy come to look at it yesterday and get lost. Got a bunch of great spam. And CL now charges for vehicles for sale! Guess I'm going to move to the Face swap boards...

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Dude that's nuts. Cl charges for car ads now? Pphhh..m may as well use ebay now. Screw paying for cl ads. Worthless!

I finally got around to tinkering on the 85. Finishing up some of the minor details.

Rolled out a glow plug control panel the other day. The wire leads for the wts and wif are patiently waiting behind the panel for installation in the panel. I'll get to it at some point. May use the OEM lighted insert. Or some simple LEDs. Haven't decided.

Nice to be done with most of the dash carrier and instrument panel. A few of my lights need to be replaced. They went dead. Or maybe something more nefarious... however I'm banking on dead lights. I did use the original lights. Should have just bought some new ones. :facepalm: noticed that last night.

Had some fun last night and drove her around a bit.

Made another intake pipe as well. Fear not.. the filter location is temporary. Not going thru the hood just yet. Want to finish the overall design on the 94 first. But it's always fun making new parts!

Installed the seatbelts and the majority of the remaining interior crap... seatbelts, sun visors.. mirror... 4wd panel... all those tiny little details.

I hate the camo seat covers. If I keep this thing I'm getting some black covers.

I guess at some point I'll reproduce the OEM door panels in sheet metal. Been contemplating that. The plastic ones are totally fine. I just dont like plastic.

Anyway... just making a 6.2 post. Been a while.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
The seatbelts themselves were a bit dainty. So I removed the cover and cleaned them up a bit. Still functional. Now presentable. I like not having the cover. You can manually articulate some of its features. :thumb:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Dude that's nuts. Cl charges for car ads now? Pphhh..m may as well use ebay now. Screw paying for cl ads. Worthless!

I finally got around to tinkering on the 85. Finishing up some of the minor details.

Rolled out a glow plug control panel the other day. The wire leads for the wts and wif are patiently waiting behind the panel for installation in the panel. I'll get to it at some point. May use the OEM lighted insert. Or some simple LEDs. Haven't decided.

Nice to be done with most of the dash carrier and instrument panel. A few of my lights need to be replaced. They went dead. Or maybe something more nefarious... however I'm banking on dead lights. I did use the original lights. Should have just bought some new ones. :facepalm: noticed that last night.

Had some fun last night and drove her around a bit.

Made another intake pipe as well. Fear not.. the filter location is temporary. Not going thru the hood just yet. Want to finish the overall design on the 94 first. But it's always fun making new parts!

Installed the seatbelts and the majority of the remaining interior crap... seatbelts, sun visors.. mirror... 4wd panel... all those tiny little details.

I hate the camo seat covers. If I keep this thing I'm getting some black covers.

I guess at some point I'll reproduce the OEM door panels in sheet metal. Been contemplating that. The plastic ones are totally fine. I just dont like plastic.

Anyway... just making a 6.2 post. Been a while.

Daaahng, I am so in awe of such a nice clean engine bay !!

So what are your plans for the intake/filter?? Snorkling ??

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
I've been working on a few designs. In the future for the end product will be snorkel compatible yes. I do ford water but haven't had a need to worry about snorkels however the option is nice. Just in case. You never know.

I've been planning on this for some time now. Maybe a few years but it finally got to the point on the 94 where I had no choice. Lower the IATs or do damage. Guess sometimes a need is the best motivation

I plan on manufacturing a fully integrated filter housing that mounts in between the turbo and upper intake plenum over the passenger valve cover. Utilizing a velocity stack at the filter entrance (pointing stright up) into a hole in the hood, that's covered by a nice hood scoop (that I'll likely have to roll out on the wheel and roller) and I do plan on making some attachment form to apply an optional snorkel down the line.

The primary motivation was to gobble up as much cold air as possible.

Here's where I am now (on the 94, still running the ds4... idle fuel usage is 40mm^3 / mega torquey) its temporary but works great. Sorta an eye sore however I've also gotten use to it and alot of people comment on it being pretty cool. My typical response is "just wait till its done" lol

Been thinking about adding some louvers on the driver side of the hood to reduce engine and residual bay heat. Likely will follow thru on that shortly after the completed intake mod is finalized and complete.

They're both a bit dirty... haven't had baths in a few months. Lol. When I finally swap over to the nv45 and db2831 on the 94 I'll be repainting and doing some mega makeover work on it as well. Custom faded red. :hehe:

Attachments

Reactions: legendman

·
Registered
144 Posts
I was trying to get my Coolant Crossover pipe on, etc.. But I wanted to Double-Check and make sure nothing else needs to go on in the FRONT before I do so, Called it Quits for tnite getting late & I can start back up tmr early...

By then I should be able to get my P/S Pump all painted and the new rubber lines on, 700r4 Kickdown Bracket installed, and Coolant pipe with Thermostat.

Then, It'll be down to my P/S Pump to get installed, Intake Gaskets, & Fuel line, and then Tear-Down the Brackets for the Alt Clean those up and Repaint & Install... etc. :rolleyes:

Reactions: jnlperformance

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts
Sorta an eye sore however I've also gotten use to it and alot of people comment on it being pretty cool. My typical response is "just wait till its done" lol

Put a Pro Stock hood scoop on it, now that they changed to EFI they don't need them.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I plan on manufacturing a fully integrated filter housing that mounts in between the turbo and upper intake plenum over the passenger valve cover. Utilizing a velocity stack at the filter entrance (pointing stright up) into a hole in the hood, that's covered by a nice hood scoop (that I'll likely have to roll out on the wheel and roller) and I do plan on making some attachment form to apply an optional snorkel down the line.
Careful on the stack opening. I remember velocity stacks people used on street strip cars, sometimes the air would flow over the top, and cause mixture distribution problems on carbs. Seems with the filter you have, you would need an excessively tall scoop, which might have the local authorities hounding you. Because you're just feeding a turbo, it probably won't be as sensitive. Looks like a cool idea tho, once you get it perfected. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
My relatively inexperienced gear setup brain says the first needs shimming, second looks OK, but could be a little more towards the middle.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
Left picture is drive, right picture is coast.
I got desperate and already pressed the bearing.
Having serious doubts and second thoughts now.
Thinking of buying a new bearing and changing the pinion shim from .039 to .036

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Juan, most gear manufacturers give a depth dimension on the pinion gear. sometimes it's even stamped into the gear itself. I'm not sure what your rear is, but is the carrier also shimmed, or it's it adjustable, like Ford 9"? It would make it easier to get close. But that drive side needs help.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,761 Posts

My one and only attempt at setting gears is when I put 3:73s from a K5 front axle in a 10-bolt, I never really got it where it needed to be after wasting multiple crush collars and ran it close enough.
Well that thing howled at highways speeds, I guess it stayed together and made a trip from Connecticut to Maryland from what I read. :facepalm:

1681 - 1700 of 1725 Posts