Diesel Place banner
141 - 160 of 190 Posts

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
I just visited Amazon and bought two packs of these stainless header bolts for the flowtech headers I plan to put on this 5.7 diesel.Parts are coming together gradually.I don’t have much now to purchase as only the headers remain along with the early 90s alternator for the serpentine conversion and finally make those two templates for the 4.3 tbi Chevy brackets.

Attachments

· Registered
48 Posts
I just visited Amazon and bought two packs of these stainless header bolts for the flowtech headers I plan to put on this 5.7 diesel.Parts are coming together gradually.I don’t have much now to purchase as only the headers,early 90s alternator for the serpentine conversion and finally make those two templates for the 4.3 tbi Chevy brackets.
Ah yes it’s all coming together.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #144 ·
I plan to talk with the machinist and get his views on the lash caps I’d like to use.The valve stems tend to take a beating on this type of engine.I’ll see what he has to say and I’ll let you know what I find out.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 · (Edited)
Moments ago I found these high strength bolts with washers for the oil pump.They might be arp but I don’t know for sure.I guess I’ll know when they arrive.With years of heat cycles they are probably tired as well.It was only $17 shipped to my location.Here’s some info I found regarding the description….

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #146 · (Edited)
I went ahead tonight and bought the flowtech 11150 black headers for this project.I got them from summit racing on eBay.I’m told they should fit no problem.The grand total was $512 delivered.

I’ll probably hit them with some duplicolor ceramic high heat paint before they are installed.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 · (Edited)
I took two sets of valves over to the local cylinderhead shop. They had to go through all of the intake valves to save enough for a set. They charged me 60 to grind the 16 valves and a extra few.
View attachment 656500
That’s a great deal👍All my parts are still at the machine shop.Still waiting for the shop to let me know when it’s ready for pickup.

I picked up some stainless arp bolts for the lower crankshaft pulley.A ford 302 serpentine pulley is needed to make the serpentine belt conversion possible.I have the pulley here.I just need to redrill it to allow me to bolt it up to the olds harmonic balancer.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 · (Edited)
I came across some arp bolts to keep the intake manifold bolted down firmly.The last thing you want is to reuse those old fasteners which could be stretched and twist off when you torque them down,and not to mention you don’t want to have coolant getting into the oil because of a stretched fastener up front or at the very rear of the intake manifold.

Four bolts are 2” long while eight others are 2.75” long.This only applies to the external EGR intake manifold with single stud air cleaner.The internal EGR with 2 stud air cleaner uses bolts that are different lengths under the intake cross over.

These arp bolts are 12 point and use a 7/16 socket.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
It’s interesting to think we might be the only three building an Olds diesel in North America right now
You could very well be right on that one👍We need to keep these time capsules alive.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 · (Edited)
Spent the morning lapping all thevalves. As I was doing that I put the valve retainers in the cleaner. I'm assuming a portion of the clips were a different metal. View attachment 656525
View attachment 656522
I was able to buy new melling valve lock replacements from rockauto several months ago along with the valve seats.The valve locks are usually hardened steel.

Reactions: OldsDiesel83

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #155 ·
Reactions: OldsDiesel83

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
These are the valve stem seals I’ve been using the past 20 plus years on this engine.They are far superior to the nylon umbrella seals that were used in production.Rockauto should have these.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #159 ·

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
Another bolt that some olds guys might be interested in is the harmonic balancer bolt with hardened washer.The part number is 180-2501.I’ve bought two of these back in 06-07 when I rebuilt both 5.7 engines a year or so apart.

Attachments

141 - 160 of 190 Posts