Diesel Place banner
121 - 140 of 190 Posts

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
I think I’m going to attempt to make those plates myself rather than spend that amount of cash.If I can get it made correctly I can mail you the template.

· Registered
48 Posts
I think I’m going to attempt to make those plates myself rather than spend that amount of cash.If I can get it made correctly I can mail you the template.
That would be awesome. I’m dropping a couple grand in this engine rebuild so I will likely attempt a serpentine conversion late this year.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
That would be awesome. I’m dropping a couple grand in this engine rebuild so I will likely attempt a serpentine conversion late this year.
No problem👍As soon as everything arrives back from the shop I can simply lay the heads on the block and then I can begin figuring out the measurements.As soon as I figure things out I’ll get your mailing address and will send the drawings of the plates on paper or on some of that construction paper.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Nice gaskets👍

Reactions: OldsDiesel83

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #127 ·

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 · (Edited)
Today I purchased a 1978-1980 new old stock GM water in fuel warning system for the same truck I’m doing the 5.7 olds rebuild on.I figured it would be a good investment to detect the presence of water that could end up in the tank after a fill up.

My fathers truck never did have this warning system when he bought this truck back in 1980.But afterwards it was available as a kit in 1981 that you could adapt it to the older late 70s olds diesel trucks.Total cost was $169 delivered on eBay.The part number was GM 14035116.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 · (Edited)
Nice heater👍I can remember buying the very same one many years ago to put on my fathers landini tractor.Did you come across any more of those heaters by any chance?I don’t intend to use this truck during the winter months anyway when it is back together but it would be great to add the heater as a nice addition.

I just found one on eBay from Australia going for $300 shipped to my area.Not exactly cheap but great for someone in cold climates that desperately needs it.

· Registered
48 Posts
Nice heater👍I can remember buying the very same one many years ago to put on my fathers landini tractor.Did you come across any more of those heaters by any chance?I don’t intend to use this truck during the winter months anyway when it is back together but it would be nice to add the heater as a nice addition.

I just found one on eBay from Australia going for $300 shipped to my area.Not exactly cheap but great for someone in cold climates that desperately needs it.
I didn’t see anymore of them but I’ll keep an eye out

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Thanks👍

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #133 ·
I picked up a new block heater last night on eBay.Rockauto is sold out of these but I found one here in Canada on eBay.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #135 ·
Looks like a nice unit. I got mine from O’Reilly’s and it has been great. Looks pretty similar to yours.
The block heaters certainly make a huge difference in frigid conditions.I didn’t have one in place back in 06 when I rebuilt this engine back then but there is nothing like doing things the proper way and have one of these installed.

I just bought some arp 1/4-20 bolts for the lifter windage tray that keeps things secure in the lifter valley.Only two bolts keeps things secure so I figured arp fasteners will take the place of the original bolts.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
And you definitely will want these arp starter bolts which do fit the 5.7 olds diesel.Some 18-20 yrs ago I couldn’t keep traditional starter bolts on these engines.They would always break off below the threads every time on the outside bolt hole.

I started using arp starter bolts in 2006.I never had a starter bolt break off since.

Attachments

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #139 ·
Excellent I will add them to the overhaul parts list.

Thanks!
No problem.On another note I plan to buy the flowtech 11150FLT headers but I’m waiting to hear back whether the guy who recommended these to me had any starter interference or not.If he says no problems occurred I’ll let you know.

Reactions: OldsDiesel83

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #140 ·
I just got a message back about those headers.He says they are a go in the C10👍

121 - 140 of 190 Posts