Diesel Place banner
101 - 120 of 190 Posts

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·
Today I found a nice Napa cooling fan for this 5.7 diesel project on eBay.It’s reverse rotation since I’m using the 4.3 diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump and early 90s 4.3 tbi fan clutch.I still plan to use the serpentine belt pulley setup.Total cost for this fan was $82 delivered.More on the way….

Attachments

· Administrator
22,221 Posts
Today I found a nice Napa cooling fan for this 5.7 diesel project on eBay.It’s reverse rotation since I’m using the 4.3 diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump and early 90s 4.3 tbi fan clutch.I still plan to use the serpentine belt pulley setup.Total cost for this fan was $82 delivered.More on the way….
Nice find! (y)

Reactions: dieselolds

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Thanks OK.I bought the dorman fan blade for the early 90s Chevy tbi engine from rockauto to match the fan clutch for reverse rotation but when I came across this fan blade it looks much more robust with more blades on it.It should be a nice project when completed.More on the way…..

Reactions: OkDually

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #104 · (Edited)
Just a note to anyone rebuilding the olds engine is not forget to use two oil gallery plugs with the .040” oiling hole in the middle.One plug goes up front on the left side if standing in front of the engine block facing it and the other plug goes upon the right side directly in front of where the vacuum pump or distributor would go.

The one in the back oils the vacuum pump and cam gear as they mesh together and the plug up front oils the timing chain.Most shops will install regular oil gallery plugs with no oil orifice hole so be sure they do this right.Here are some pictures showing what I’m referring to….

The picture on the right is showing the back side of the engine with the 29/32” cup plug removed just above the cam bearing end plug.The orifice plug goes inside that hole followed by the 29/32 cup plug afterwards.

The lower picture shows two plugs circled in yellow.The gallery plug on the right has no hole which is correct.Only the left plug up front oils the timing chain rather than depending upon splash lubrication to do this.

Attachments

Reactions: OkDually

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Tonight on Amazon I picked up some arp 12 point 5/16-18 bolts for the olds rocker arm pivots.These are slightly longer than the original which I don’t mind.The original bolts stretch so I purchased a few packs of these to deal with that issue.Each pack of 5 bolts was only $16.Every other place I looked at was much more.

Attachments

· Registered
48 Posts
Just a note to anyone rebuilding the olds engine is not forget to use two oil gallery plugs with the .040” oiling hole in the middle.One plug goes up front on the left side if standing in front of the engine block facing it and the other plug goes upon the right side directly in front of where the vacuum pump or distributor would go.

The one in the back oils the vacuum pump and cam gear as they mesh together and the plug up front oils the timing chain.Most shops will install regular oil gallery plugs with no oil orifice hole so be sure they do this right.Here are some pictures showing what I’m referring to….

The picture on the right is showing the back side of the engine with the 29/32” cup plug removed just above the cam bearing end plug.The orifice plug goes inside that hole followed by the 29/32 cup plug afterwards.

The lower picture shows two plugs circled in yellow.The gallery plug on the right has no hole which is correct.Only the left plug up front oils the timing chain rather than depending upon splash lubrication to do this.
I ordered a softplug and oil galley plug kit from Rock auto... i don't think the oil plugs have these holes. Are they ok to reuse, or do you have a source for some new ones?

· Registered
48 Posts
Tonight on Amazon I picked up some arp 12 point 5/16-18 bolts for the olds rocker arm pivots.These are slightly longer than the original which I don’t mind.The original bolts stretch so I purchased a few packs of these to deal with that issue.Each pack of 5 bolts was only $16.Every other place I looked at was much more.
I am having derp brain, how many bolts are required? 16 right? did you have to buy 4 packs? I might buy some of these too

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #108 ·
I am having derp brain, how many bolts are required? 16 right? did you have to buy 4 packs? I might buy some of these too
That’s right.You’ll need 4 packs to do all the rocker bridges.That leaves 4 extra bolts left over.I think it’s a good upgrade over the stock bolts.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I ordered a softplug and oil galley plug kit from Rock auto... i don't think the oil plugs have these holes. Are they ok to reuse, or do you have a source for some new ones?
You can reuse them if you want.That won’t be a problem.Just ensure your old gallery plugs have the .040” hole present.

· Registered
48 Posts
Hi.The bore of the gasket is 4.170” and the manufactured thickness can be between .0499”-.0579”
Still collecting parts for the rebuild. Starting to get a good pile in the family room.

Can I order this head gasket with a bore of 4.170 even if I don’t know if the block may need a 0.020” or 0.030” clean up? I’d like to order it soon since I am unsure of the lead time.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Still collecting parts for the rebuild. Starting to get a good pile in the family room.

Can I order this head gasket with a bore of 4.170 even if I don’t know if the block may need a 0.020” or 0.030” clean up? I’d like to order it soon since I am unsure of the lead time.
I’ve used the .010 thicker head gaskets years ago on blocks that were never decked and I had no issues.On 5.7 engines I had rebuilt in the past usually .006-.007 cleaned up the deck surface.The 4.170” is well away from the edge of the bore.Even if you did go .030 overbore your still at the 4.087” mark.You can go ahead and order the gaskets.

· Registered
5 Posts
Cleaned up the cylinder head with a surface plate and some wet/dry sandpaper. The surface plate covered about 75% of the head at a time. I thought it was really flat at first, but it turned out that my 1.5 and 2 thousands feeler gauges were stuck together. I got it down to 1.5 (smallest feeler gauge I have) and called it quits. You can still see a little of where the last gasket was and if the light hits it just right you can see a bit of the original machining marks.

How big of a difference do the Cometic head gaskets make?
Electronic instrument Office equipment Gas Audio equipment Computer hardware

· Registered
48 Posts
Cleaned up the cylinder head with a surface plate and some wet/dry sandpaper. The surface plate covered about 75% of the head at a time. I thought it was really flat at first, but it turned out that my 1.5 and 2 thousands feeler gauges were stuck together. I got it down to 1.5 (smallest feeler gauge I have) and called it quits. You can still see a little of where the last gasket was and if the light hits it just right you can see a bit of the original machining marks.

View attachment 656237
nice job.

from what I heard the Cometic is thicker and made better so less chance of blowing head gaskets.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·

View attachment 656237
Nice cleanup on the heads👍

Cometic I’m sure is 200% better than felpro.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·
View attachment 656245

Bought this pump wrench last night also. Any other special tools recommended?
Looks like you have everything you need👍I’ve had some of those tools in the past but sold them.I still have the harmonic balancer tool and pencil injector removal tool which is definitely needed in pulling those injectors.There’s no getting them out without it.

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 · (Edited)
This is the kit needed to use the early 90s Chevy 4.3/5.0/5.7 tbi serpentine bracket system upon the olds 350.The plates in the kit pictured simply bolt upon the Oldsmobile cylinder heads.There was a guy in the US who did make the kits but he responded to me last night saying he was no longer making the kits at this time and that the 4.3 diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump was no longer available to make this work.

I have two of those hard to find 4.3 water pumps but the kit can be found online for $399 US dollars from another guy which isn’t cheap but is ready to bolt on once you receive it.I have everything purchased to do the conversion with the exception of this kit.I could probably make everything pictured but it would be nice to have a kit that you can simply install with no hassle.

Attachments

· Registered
48 Posts
This is the kit needed to use the early 90s Chevy 4.3/5.0/5.7 tbi serpentine bracket system upon the olds 350.The plates in the kit pictured simply bolt upon the Oldsmobile cylinder heads.There was a guy in the US who did make the kits but he responded to me last night saying he was no longer making the kits at this time and that the 4.3 diesel V6 reverse rotation water pump was no longer available to make this work.

I have two of those hard to find 4.3 water pumps but the kit can be found online for $399 US dollars from another guy which isn’t cheap but is ready to bolt on once you receive it.I have everything purchased to do the conversion with the exception of this kit.I could probably make everything pictured but it would be nice to have a kit that you can simply install with no hassle.
Awesome. Do you have a link to the kit?

· Premium Member
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
101 - 120 of 190 Posts