Diesel Place banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The external oil cooler arrived a few days ago from Hong Kong.Very nice piece.I’ll take a few pictures of it and let you guys have a look at it.

I think in the next few days I’ll be taking both cylinder heads to a machine shop about an hour from me to get rebuilt.After those are rebuilt and ready I’ll take the block in next to get the cam bearings/freeze plugs installed and have an align hone done with the milodon main studs in place.

I have the bronze valve guides,seats and new GM valves to go with it among other things so I may as well get the ball rolling with that.More updates to come….

Reactions: OkDually

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here’s a couple pictures of the cooler.I choose the 10AN style which is 1/2” diameter oil cooler ports which should do the job nicely.The braided hose with PTFE inside with fittings should be here in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Last night I picked up a set of Bosch 80034 self regulating glow plugs from eBay for the 81 engine.It used to have acdelco 8G in it for years but four are swollen on the driver side while the passenger side was okay.I think it had to do with those two bad injectors on the driver side which probably didn’t help any.

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Anyway the heads are at the machine shop now.I dropped them off Friday.I don’t think they’ll need any work to be honest.They weren’t causing me any grief but I just want them to check the valve faces and seats and give them a good look over.I had them rebuilt about 16yrs ago by another shop and they have done well since then.

They told me it would be about a week or later before they could check them out.More updates on the way when I hear back the verdict on the heads.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Hey bud any more news?
Still waiting to hear the verdict on the heads.I took them to the shop 2 weeks ago so they should tell me something soon.When I did bring them to the shop the machinist told me they were extremely busy but they would look at them whenever they had the chance.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
trying to find a machine shop willing is a suprise to be honest!
Yes that’s true.They did a set of poppet heads for me way back in 1999-2000 time frame.They worked out well.I sent a pair of pencil heads to them to get checked out this time around.

They are still extremely busy.Never heard a word on the heads as of yet.

·
Registered
13 Posts
here we go!!!! eldorado photos for the newly acquired! Odometer says 57,328 k semi delieve it with pedals as they are?! thoughts? i always wanted a diesel eldo but I do not see many!

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Looks good.👍I always found the poppet nozzle engines great as well.I find injectors,injector lines and pistons are the biggest items that are hard to find.Obviously still out there but tough to locate when you need it.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I picked up a GM new old stock oil dipstick and tube to match last night for the 81 engine I’m working on.Still no word on the heads.I think next week I should hear something.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks good.👍I always found the poppet nozzle engines great as well.I find injectors,injector lines and pistons are the biggest items that are hard to find.Obviously still out there but tough to locate when you need it.
oddly i just got one brand new GM pencil injector and six new gm boxed poppets

·
Registered
13 Posts
the pencil shows to be for a 78 model? i didnt know each year had a different pencil? according to my snap on catalog it does. which btw i can haelp with part numbers!

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
There were a few different types of pencil nozzles.And of course two different ways of which they connect to the injector lines.The two styles were flare and ferrule designs.Flare type nozzles match with flare type injector lines and vise versa.

GM 22502367 or stanadyne 22259 with the red/blue strip on its injector body are flare type nozzles used on the 5.7.The nozzle with a strictly only blue strip is for the 260 diesel V8 while the pencil nozzle with the yellow strip is the ferrule type fitting nozzle used on the 1978 5.7 diesel.

Mixing flare type injectors with a ferrule line connection or vise versa will result in a leak and possible damage to the mating surfaces since they do not correspond with each other and some folks do not realize this when buying replacement injectors.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
the one i got is a gm # 558770
I’m pretty sure that’s the ferrule type nozzle used in 1978.Does yours have the yellow stripe?I have both ferrule and flare type injectors and can make up two sets.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
This morning I called the machine shop doing the heads just to see how things were progressing and right now both heads are in the hot tank getting the castings cleaned up.The machinist did tell me he spotted a couple tiny cracks between the valves but he said they are harmless since there is a bulletin about it.Anyway guess I’ll know more this upcoming week.

If that turns out okay I’ll bring the block in to get some work done on that.More updates on the way.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Here are a couple pictures showing the oil cooler line I chose to use with the 10an fittings.The hose has a Teflon liner inside rather than just regular plain hose so I think it will work well.A variation of different fittings came in the kit to make the job easier.More updates on the way.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 40 Posts