Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just figured I’d put something in the “all other GM diesel” section like we have in the 6.2/6.5 section.I didn’t do anything per say with my 5.7 diesel today as right now it’s not a daily driver like it used to be but I did pick up a set of new old stock perfect circle brand .030 oversize pistons from eBay today that might be handy down the road.

One 5.7 I own which is the very early 1978 engine has standard sized pistons in it and the 1981 5.7 I also acquired is punched .030 over but parts for these things are near impossible to find so I figured I may as well buy the oversize slugs while I had the chance to do so.If I don’t use them I’ll resell them and should get my money back no problem.

• Love
Reactions: OkDually

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perfect.👍Thank you.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Been years since I’ve seen a 5.7 or 4.3 here in SW MS,
Yes they are rare as hens teeth north of the border as well.At least in my area anyway.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I picked up a set of new old stock piston rings that are .030 oversize to fit the 5.7 diesel.I may never use these of course but they may come in handy later on.They were made back in August of 1987.Total cost was $56 shipped to my door which I think is a fantastic deal.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
While browsing eBay I came across 24 good used pencil injectors with some victor reinz head gaskets.The injectors are a mixture of flare and ferrule type versions but they are in good shape I have to say.

I also picked up a Kent Moore pencil injector removal tool.This tool is a must when trying to remove those pencil injectors.Using a prybar in attempting to get them out sometimes will work but usually it causes more harm than good.

I had a different Kent Moore pencil injector removal tool years ago but it didn’t work as well as this version.Here’s what arrived today:

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Today I sent off the pencil injectors I bought back in 06 or 07 from eBay to have accurate diesel in Michigan test them and fix whatever problem they have in my fathers 1981 5.7 DX.

They came in GM boxes with 22502367 on each box with blue/red stripes around each body and looked to be super clean and brand new when I installed them but ever since they were put in place the engine would spew unburned fuel smoke out the driver side tailpipe for about a minute and then would run normally.I think they must be leaking down overnight or something,etc.At that time the engine was fully gone through with all machine work done with new glow plugs etc.

Before I had the new injectors installed back then this engine had reman units in place which didn’t pose a single issue.There was absolutely zero smoke after start up so since I had the new injectors purchased I figured it would run better with those but it turns out it ran worse so there is obviously a problem with these new units.

Tim says he’ll check them out and see what’s going on with them and go from there.The problem didn’t start until those were installed.I should have an update maybe in a couple weeks to see what the verdict is on those.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim from accurate got back to me a few days ago and said he checked all eight and six of them were absolutely perfect while two were faulty.So he tracked down two reman pencil injectors which should do the trick.

Crazy how these were new old stock injectors still in GM boxes and two were found to be bad right from the get go.I guess just because they are new doesn’t mean they are going to perform like they should.

I’d recommend accurate diesel to anyone needing injector service or whatever else you need.Great people to deal with.👍

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also picked up a set of new Hastings piston rings just recently.The part number is 2M5610 and are .030 oversize.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After some searching I found a guy willing to sell a set of new .030 zollner brand 5.7 pistons with pins and locks for $450 plus $75 freight from the US.Still cheaper than uem/dualoy brand pistons that summit sells for $525 plus freight and customs fees once it crosses the border.

• Love

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice find! (y)
Yes I think so too.Just planning to freshen up my fathers 5.7 engine sometime this year if time allows it.Just accumulating the parts for now.I went through it back in 06 but it has racked up a few miles since then and it’s been sitting for several years without being used.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have accumulated about 95% of the parts I need for a rebuild of the 81 DX engine.I picked up a new sealed power cs718 camshaft last night along with a few parts from rockauto this morning such as ventilation filters,grommets for the valve covers and a acdelco 6.5 thermostat since alot of the aftermarket thermostats have small openings for coolant flow.

I’m also thinking of using the brass T fittings the john Deere pencil injector use combined with 5mm ID return hose.It’s a nice setup.

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The zollner 030 pistons arrived today.They look good.Has some cosmoline on them from back in the day but are definitely brand new with pins and locks present.

I also went ahead and purchased 8 brass T fittings that are shown in my last post.It should look good when it’s all assembled.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pretty much All the parts I need now for the upcoming rebuild of the 81 engine has been gathered up.Two other items I’ll get later are arp head bolts (180-3601) and the main stud kit from arp (184-5402)

I did find several reman federal mogul connecting rods with new bushings in place in case they are needed along with new old stock GM valves from eBay.Valve seats were purchased from Rockauto.

• Love

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This evening I went ahead and found a set of new milodon main studs for olds 455/olds 350 diesel from eBay under part number 81215 for $160 shipped to my door.The arp studs were alot more money so I went with milodon since they too produce some of the worlds best fasteners.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Nice find ! (y)
Absolutely.I think so as well.I bought them from jegs on eBay so I couldn’t lose for that price.I have arp main bolts in the engine right now from back in 06 when I first rebuilt it but even the arp bolts were shorter than the originals at that time.I hesitated at first in using the arp bolt kit but did so anyway but this time i’ll definitely use the studs in that area and grab whatever block material is available for extra support.Another item I recently purchased was part number 22575 from milodon which is their chrome moly oil pump driveshaft.

Guess I got away lucky with the shorter arp bolts but this time I’m definitely taking no chances.The milodon kit will replace it.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Today I bought a few more goodies from eBay and rockauto to finish off what was needed.First off was bronze valve guides made by perfect circle along with new valve springs.78-80 springs are a different part number than those used from 81-85.

The last thing I purchased was the arp head bolt kit.I did some searching around and although arp fasteners are reusable providing they aren’t stretched,I don’t want to do this a second time and experience a head gasket leak.I’d rather spend the coin and purchase new head bolts which is what I did.

Prices for everything this time around has certainly skyrocketed compared to the last time I did this.

In the near future I plan to get a new external oil cooler from eBay with 10an fittings and braided line to ensure the oil stays at the proper temp but it’ll just be a cruising vehicle when it’s back on the road and ready.

Pictures will be posted when I dig into this project soon.

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The external oil cooler arrived a few days ago from Hong Kong.Very nice piece.I’ll take a few pictures of it and let you guys have a look at it.

I think in the next few days I’ll be taking both cylinder heads to a machine shop about an hour from me to get rebuilt.After those are rebuilt and ready I’ll take the block in next to get the cam bearings/freeze plugs installed and have an align hone done with the milodon main studs in place.

I have the bronze valve guides,seats and new GM valves to go with it among other things so I may as well get the ball rolling with that.More updates to come….

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Here’s a couple pictures of the cooler.I choose the 10AN style which is 1/2” diameter oil cooler ports which should do the job nicely.The braided hose with PTFE inside with fittings should be here in a few weeks.

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Last night I picked up a set of Bosch 80034 self regulating glow plugs from eBay for the 81 engine.It used to have acdelco 8G in it for years but four are swollen on the driver side while the passenger side was okay.I think it had to do with those two bad injectors on the driver side which probably didn’t help any.

Attachments

·
Ronald Reagan fan
5,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Anyway the heads are at the machine shop now.I dropped them off Friday.I don’t think they’ll need any work to be honest.They weren’t causing me any grief but I just want them to check the valve faces and seats and give them a good look over.I had them rebuilt about 16yrs ago by another shop and they have done well since then.

They told me it would be about a week or later before they could check them out.More updates on the way when I hear back the verdict on the heads.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts