Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to diesel, and I was working in one of my houses today. When I got out of the truck, I accidentally did not turn the key off all the way, and it sat in the up position where you wait for the glow plug light to turn off, for a few hours.

Well, I get back in and go to turn it on, and it just cranks. I turned off the key for 5 minutes all the way, turned it to the glow plug position, and the light does not even come on for a split second, and it won't start.

Did having the key fry the plugs? Or did they drain that second battery thats in there (which I am only assuming has something to do with them.) Thanks and I appreciate the patience for reading this.Edited by: lookslikeahog

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Give some more specifics on your truck, put them in your signature line so you don't have to keep reposting, it helps to aid in troubleshooting your ride.

Depending on what equipment you have several things to check, Batts and batt connections 1st, if those are good, is starter coming up to speed, then glow controller, and plugs.

I'm hoping for batts, charge both as the operate in a parallel 1 bad will pull down whole system volts always replace in pairs look for mfg lot date it's better to have batts built same time frame.

Glow controller is supposed to cycle on and off glows to prevent overheat, if batts are good you can test glows by going to output side of controller energize glows direct to batt with momentary energize about 5 sec or so , really don't need glows on warm day +50F if batts and starter are in good condition. worst case scenario is bad glows swolen in holes, as far as you know are these original glows, depending on your year may or may not be big concern.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This should fix my signature. My truck should be below. So perhaps I drained the batteries. No problems until this.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
I saw melted glow plugs from a guys truck where he left the glow cycle on all night.

have you checked the fuse?Edited by: quantum mechanic

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not yet. Just trying to figure out where to start. This is my first diesel. It did crank, but it just wouldn't start, so shouldn't it have started even without the plugs? It was like 70 or 75 degrees today.

If the batteries are too low, is there a way to jump these things?

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
Ouch 93 if that has original glows in them it's possible they are burned out & swolen the older trucks did not have the extended cycle glows.

But before we go there lets make sure you have good connections, batts & fuses, you can jump these but if bats were weak to start with and truck left on all nite will take a long time to jump better throw a charger on them disconnected from the truck. How is cranking speed, strong or weak, lotta white smoke out the pipe?

Edited by: Turbine Doc

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm, got it going. Let it sit all night, ran jumpers to one of the batteries, and it fired right up. Drove it for a half hour so and now it is back to normal.

·
Registered
16,971 Posts
It is not going to have anything to do with batteries, sounds like a typical, let me charge you 45 bucks an hour to fix something that I already know will take 20 mins. Check your glow plugs. Leaving them on for that period of time may have burned them out. You said the the truck will turn over so could not be the battery. Plugs, then go from there. Good luck

·
Registered
294 Posts
Now that it is running put it on charge overnight. Looks like all you did was run the batteries down from prolonged cycling of the glow plugs.

It would be a good idea now to cxheck the glow plugs. To do this remove the wire from each plug and with an ohm meter check the plugs continuity from the spade on the plug to ground. If it shows a short the plug is good, if an open replace that plug.

Depending on the block water temperature and the outside temperature you can go all day without the glow plugs cycling when you go to start if the truck was up to temperature when you stopped.

·
Registered
5,245 Posts
My k2500 '93 6.5 glow clycle only comes on when the block is cold, but the '94 and '96 cycle every start no matter how warm. The truck that I saw detonated plugs on was a '94 K3500.

·
Registered
595 Posts
When my trucks glow plugs started acting up, the light wouldn't come on, and the truck would just crank. no start. The terminal on the relay had melted its way off and it was hard to see because the boot was blocking the view. New relay $38 and good as new! Very bad to mount something sensitive to vibration on a diesel engine, kind of like trying to use the injection pump as a heat sink.

·
Registered
373 Posts
My Dad has had a few 6.2 Diesels in his time and he got fed up with the Relay sticking and burning out the plugs. His solution, which I use is to have the extended cycle plugs and use a push-button switch to turn them on. When I go to start my truck I just hold the switch on for a few seconds and it starts right up, then I cycle them on and off until the white smoke is gone. Its a real cheap easy solution, all you need is a couple of wires and a switch.

Cheers!

·
Registered
8,014 Posts
JJW I think you are referring to a momentary on switch, is that correct, for benefit of other spring loaded button that is only on while pushing button in, comes off when you let go so you don't forget to turn it off.

·
Registered
373 Posts
yeah a momentary is what I have, that way its completely idiot proof.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Im trying to diagnose my 95 with all the symptoms of a glow plug controller or terminal bad. I get the thing to crank a while and white smoke will appear but still no start . Glow plug check reveals no problems. Could you "point" to me where I would find the glow plug controller and terminal under the hood? Ive tried following the wire harness but near impossible.

The Boss

·
Registered
294 Posts
Boss

Start a new post and tell us just what you have done so far. What have you done to check the glow plugs, output voltage, plug continuty?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts