Diesel Place banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone suggest a chip/box to use without gauges? I would keep it on lowest setting. Also, yesterday went from stock tires to 265/75/16. Any box to update computer? Is there a noticeable differance in shift points, MPG's with the 265's? Thanks.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Both the Quadzilla and the Predator allow for tire size changes to be made. The Quad runs cooler EGT, but the Predator has real time data monitoring, so either one would be great. Even on the lowest setting, you will notice a BIG difference.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't know of any box that is to "hot" on the lowest setting except the first generation Predators. I've towed very heavy with the Juice 30 and the Quad 50 tune. Safe EGT's here. I currently have a Quad 135 in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I notice you guts who responded saying it would be "cool" have larger exhaust or straight piped. Will EGTs still be safe (at the lowest power setting) with stock exhaust and intake? How about pulling a 11K fifth wheel trailer up a 7% grade?

Another question, are both Quadzilla and Predator specific to a VIN? Or can you sell it to someone else if you sell your rig at a later date?

I have heard that both can have problems with LT models (Onstar?) particularly with 03 and 04 years. Does anyone know if this is true or is being corrected if it is true?

·
Banned
328 Posts
On our lowest setting egt's are almost unchanged from stock. The 70hp is pretty "cool" as well. This is with a stock exhaust. When we do our tuning we use bone stock trucks.

It is true that LT truck shave given tuners some problems in the past, but we belive we have ours fixed now.

We marry your VIN, but once you return it to stock you can sell it if you want.

You should see at least a 10% increase in fuel mileage, but a lot of people see more than that. The flip side of the coin is that some people that drive really hard don't get any mileage gain.

Not sure where you are from but If you need a dealer pm me and I will find a dealer near you.

Thanks,

Quad

·
Registered
367 Posts
Does the Quad unit give you 2 power levels like Edge & Predator so that tow/haul mode is set at one level and normal give you another power level ?

·
Registered
704 Posts
InTentsDmax said:
Does the Quad unit give you 2 power levels like Edge & Predator so that tow/haul mode is set at one level and normal give you another power level ?

The Quad unit gives you 4 levels to choose from, but whatever level you choose, you will have for both T/H and normal modes.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
there is six of us where i am from that run the vanaken smartbox E, we all pull trailers some of the time. and all of us keep it on the 110hp setting,we do not have gauges and never had problems, our trailers weight about 8000lbs, and we all drive like hell,great mileage as well, our dealer sells them, so he said no problem with warrenty: va is well none for their low egt temps,the 5 other trucks are bone stock, a combined mileage of over 100000, miles,

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Many of us feel and will tell you that you are asking for trouble if you plan on running a box without gauges. It is amazing just how hot the egts can run when you are goofing off.

Example: I run the Superchips Tri-tuner. The manual states that you can use the Tow-Safe (55 hp) to tow to the limits of the vehicle without gauges. However, they recommend having gauges when you use any of the power settings. My 5th wheel loaded and ready to go weighs in between 9,000 lbs. and 9,500 lbs. depending on what we pack. Towing the trailer up a 5% grade with the Tow-Safe (55 hp) tune will easily push 1,300 F pre-turbo. I have to force a downshift by turning off the OD to get the temps back below 1,200 F. pre-turbo. If I did not have gauges then I would be easily exceeding the accepted "safe" temps. Now, granted, exceeding the temps a few times won't leave you stranded, but exceeding the temps continuously will surely catch up with you (russian roulette).

Just my opinion, you need to decide what you are comfortable with. BTW, the Autometer Pyro Gauge can be had for $135 from Summit Racing. Cheap insurance in my opinion.
Edited by: cdhd2001

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Quadzilla, could you elaborate on how the Superchips programming works compared yours?

Thanks

·
Registered
341 Posts
Speaking of heat, I saw a cummins last week with a Very large tailpipe coming out behind the rear mudflap... And the mudflap was nearly melted through.

Looked inside - no guages to be seen.

I should have taken a picture... I think that guy is pushing his luck...

·
Banned
328 Posts
I haven't ever seen the programming, just from watching the scope all they change is fueling. Also everyone that runs them says they get really really hot. I think SC and Diablo are having a contest or something?

We change multiple fuel and timing maps, as well as several other things...

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Quadzilla, could you read the my first post on the following thread and give me your opinion of the temps based on the conditions?

Superchip Review

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed a super chip. Tried it on max first of course to see the power. I was going to hook to a trailer over 6000 pds so I changed back to stock, then tried to program the lowest setting. I got an error message, call superchips. I tried to take it back to stock and couldn't. Kept getting the error message. Truck wouldn't start. I called superchips and they suggested I call GM and dont tell them I had a chip installed. Long story short, it blew the computer. Price one of those and see how you feel. My truck is 2003 3500 GMC SLT.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
jorge,

Lowest price on the PCM is $850. There is a chance of having a fatal error when using ANY handheld tuner, regardless of brand.

If you did not tell the dealer about the chip, it should have been covered by warranty. BTW, the PCM has a 80,000 mile warranty.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
704 Posts
It seems if the aftermarket tune is still in the PCM, that the dealer would find out as soon as they hooked up the tech 2. Then they would probably charge for the PCM, labor, AND towing. I guess it is worth a try though.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If the PCM is toast the Tech 2 wont help.. I know a guy that screwed his PCM with the diablo - something about the code load hanging.. Anyway - took it to the dealer and tehy hooked up the tech 2 - Nothing, nadda - Had to replace the unit.. So you may still be able to get away with it. Just remember - if you're going to fry it, fry it good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts