Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what causes the gm flywheels to go bad. I was trying to explain it to the people i work with that its necessary to replace the flywheel and about how i was going to buy the single disk kits from the crank it up diesel guys. they think it rediculous to spend 1600 for a clutch they think i should get another stock clutch. so if any one has reason for why the flywheels are junk and idea of whow to explain let me know. thanks.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
from my recent experience with the new clutch , flywheel throw out bearing and etc..... in our 2002 duramax on the farm here. the original flywheel is dual mass which means it is two seperate pancakes attached to one another with the ability to spin seperate from one another a small amount. this is to help get rid of vibration and clutch chatter from what i have heard. this make the flywheel to unstable to machine according to my local machinest. so when clutch wears out pitch the flywheel out. also there are springs attached between the pancakes of flywheel in a radias like on a older vehical clutch disc and they break and the flywheel rattles from not having any resistance between the pancakes. the clutch cover has the supposed ability to ajust itself as there is no other way to ajust the play. did I do ok? I was typing while marty g was answering

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is excellent information and very thouroughly decribes what the dual mass flywheel does, how it works, and why it goes bad thanks.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Good expaination farmer...basically the springs cannot tollerate the continous abuse of diesel torque and eventually fail. The flywheel has more and more play between them and fall apart!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts