Diesel Place banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's the general consensus on how much hp OVER STOCK that the STOCK Allison can handle? Is it 100hp over stock? 85hp? Just looking for a general rule of thumb. Just got a Predator 2.02....should I stay at the 65hp tune or should I go to 85hp?

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
With an LLY 70-80hp IMO.

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
What's the general consensus on how much hp OVER STOCK that the STOCK Allison can handle? Is it 100hp over stock? 85hp? Just looking for a general rule of thumb.
On AVERAGE, most LB7's can handle +100 RWHP.

On Average, most LLY's around +85 RWHP.

Some Allisons are stronger than others from the factory and can handle more power. Some are weaker. It is luck of the draw.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
From experience, my allison held ~125hp just fine for almost 19,000miles. It wasn't until I added the VA and was running 450hp/820trq that I had any problems. Even so, my C4 were slightly burnt and C3 looked good still.

Just my experience, but unless you plan on a new tranny, I would stick around 75hp.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
I was running 85hp and slipped mine yesterday. I guess I'm not one of the lucky ones. 12,383 miles on my truck... Dealer, here I come, after removing tunes. ;)

·
Registered
16,610 Posts
Not much point in taking it to the dealer if you slipped it once. I doubt they will do anything for you since your fluid will likely not be burnt and everything will act fine on a test drive. Plus there isn't much point in getting it repaired to stock and then laying the extra power to it again, you will be in the same boat in no time. JMO

·
Registered
747 Posts
I've got the Economy version of the PPE set to 140 and haven't limped. But then again, thats 140 crank hp, not whp. Max, is drivetrain loss about 17 to 20%?

·
Registered
587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ummmmmm....Can't you clear it with the predator????

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
That SES light will clear its self with a few key cycles....It will stay in memory though till a TechII erases it

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
Ummmmmm....Can't you clear it with the predator????
No, the Predator can't clear it. It cleared finally this afternoon. Any Suncoat dealer/installers in the Baltimore region? I'll be upgrading soon! Doesn't look like the stock Allison will last much longer. Besides, I want to play.

Guess it's time to pay.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
If the tranny you get is anywhere near what my new toy is, you'll love it. It is tons of fun to drive now...Good luck!

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
If the tranny you get is anywhere near what my new toy is, you'll love it. It is tons of fun to drive now...Good luck!
Not to highjack this thread...

I've seen several members sporting the "Al-ienator Trans" logo, emblem, signature, etc. Where do I find info on them?

·
Registered
458 Posts
Google?

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
JakeGMCHD(Al) is from Wisconsin, he builds them. PM Moss022 or bobo. They both run his tranny and like them.

·
Registered
89 Posts
where in wisconsin?

·
Registered
747 Posts
where in wisconsin?
U.S.A. Not trying to be an a**, its just one of my pet peeves on this site when threads start going a different direction than what its titled. Don't take it personally.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
PM who I mentioned above and they can tell you. I think its the Southern part of Wisconsin though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts