Diesel Place banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a few different ones out there (Napa, AC Delco, Racor). Are any of these factory replacement filters any better than any other? Particularly the fuel filter. Does Napa make a better one than AC, or are they the same filter with different brand on them?

Thanks!

·
Registered
183 Posts
The fuel filters are all made by Racor, regardless of what brand name it's being sold under. Buy the least expensive one you can find! As far as the oil filter, it's recommended to stay away from the cheaper ones like Fram and go with ones from companies like Wix or Baldwin. I just stick with the OEM oil filter. Edited by: bluenote

·
Registered
20 Posts
Juice, the last word that I heard around here is that Racor is the only source. Delco's and etc are relabeled Racors. AFAIK

·
Registered
92 Posts
I talked with a Baldwin factory tech rep today, and they build their own OEM, at least according to him. They are currently retesting theirs because apparently Racor has rerated their for 2 micron. I think you can buy the Baldwin equivalent for slightly over $18 per copy from WestFleet on the internet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
silatman said:
I talked with a Baldwin factory tech rep today, and they build their own OEM, at least according to him. They are currently retesting theirs because apparently Racor has rerated their for 2 micron. I think you can buy the Baldwin equivalent for slightly over $18 per copy from WestFleet on the internet.

This is interesting anymore to the story

·
Registered
747 Posts
silatman said:

I hope that rep wasn't bs'ing you. Anyone know how to get absolute proof of this? Not questioning you silatman, I would just like to be absolutely sure of this. I don't think this being true would stop me from adding the Nicktane though. I spoke with my service manager today and he okayed the Nicktane, gauges, and exhaust. He said he hasn't heard of any injector problems
, but encourages extra filtration in a diesel. He also thought gauges(egt and boost) were a good idea and thought they should be installed from the factory. He said as long as I don't mess with the catalyst(he thought all '04's have the cat; he knows different now though
), no problem on exhaust.

I didn't bother to mention either juice or quad is in my future.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you do a search through this site (and others) you will find a lot of info on oil and fuel filters. The latest scoop/summary based on my findings:

Fuel Filters:

As already mentioned, all Racors under various labels. They do not do a great job considering the requirements of the Bosch system. Most folks who are concerned add a secondary (pre- or post-OEM) filter. Do a search on Nictane, Kennedy MEGA, Racor, or Stanadyne and you will get more information that you can digest in one setting. I plan on purchasing a Nictane myself due to reliability, ease of installtion, filtration capability, access/price of replacemen filters. Just my opinion. I think everyone in general would agree that the ultimate solution would be a spin-on replacent for the existing OEM filter. GM's blessing would be the icing on the cake! But, who knows if this will ever happen.

Oil Filters:

There is a thread on this board that has some mfg supplied ratings. I think we have info from Baldwin, Fleetguard, AC/Delco, Wix, NAPA, and maybe a handful of others. Although unconfirmed, it has been stated more than once that Baldwin makes the filters for Amsoil (take it with a grain of salt, FWIW). All said and done - I think the Baldwin came out on top but all appeared to do the job fairly well. The only negative consensus was to be cautious of the Fram. This may be urban folklore at this point - but I tend to agree personally. Baldwin's are cheap anyways. Picked 2 up today for $7.07 each in Chicagoland. FYI - some other sites have rated the Mobil 1 filters very high. Don't bother looking for them for the Duramax though. I checked with Mobil and Champion Labs personally and Mobil does not have one made for this engine. The Mobil1 stuff is quite pricey anyway. If all else fails and you just can't decide or find the brand you want - just go to the dealer and buy a Delco. I think they are around $11-$12.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
665 Posts
silatman said:

I have a spare Fuel filter in my tool box right now. It is in a clear palstic bag (No Box) with a BALDWIN sticker on it and the filter has RACOR stenciled on it. Edited by: Bill Gisse

·
Registered
92 Posts
Well guys, maybe I got BS'd. Blue Ice, I was by no means suggesting that Baldwin or any other OEM is sufficient filtering. I am going to install a Racor 660 as a pre.

·
Registered
398 Posts
silatman said:
Well guys, maybe I got BS'd. Blue Ice, I was by no means suggesting that Baldwin or any other OEM is sufficient filtering. I am going to install a Racor 660 as a pre.

I think this would be A wise choice.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
BKG-22 said:
The only negative consensus was to be cautious of the Fram. This may be urban folklore at this point - but I tend to agree personally. Hope this helps!

Does this look like "urban folklore" to you?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Idle_Chatter: Thanks for the pics - had not seen those specific ones yet. I certainly agree that the Fram filters appear to be "less than adequate" - to put it nicely. As noted in my original post, I personally stay away from Fram anyway. The only reason that I interjected the "urban folklore" comment is:

1. Up until you, I have never actually had any communication with the author/owner of the pictures and negative information I have seen on the Fram filters. Thus I was never 100% certain of it's authenticty or accuracy. It made sense based on the context and corresponding pics - but who knows what "agenda" others may have had and I would not want to persuade someone to jump to my conclusion without them doing thier own homework and research first since I have not seen this first hand nor do I have any hard data to back this up other than a handful of threads and pics from the internet.

2. Up until your note above, all the SOURCE information and pics I have seen related to this topic are really outdated. There are a couple of sites that show a filter studies, but they date back several years ago since they were updated in some cases. Although unlikely, the studies performed on various filters (including Fram) may not necessarily reflect the way the filters are manufactured today. Once again - I throw in my opinion that I stay away from them regardless, but I cannot personally vouch for how well they are currently constructed or what materials are used.

That being said - your pics are pretty clear on construction and material. Would not want one on my ANY of my vehicles. How long ago were those pics taken? I am currenly running an M1 filter on the '03 Yukon and the truck still has the factory filter on it (only about 1800 miles on it in total). I just purchased 2 Baldwin filters and a case of Devac 1 yesterday in prep for the first oil change.

BTW - the one "official" peice of information I did see on the Fram's was actually published and distributed by Cummins. They cautioned to Cummins service centers that they should avoid the use of Fram oil filters and the use of Fram may void the warrantee because they did analysis on a trashed engine and found traces of the silicon (used in the contruction of the Fram filter) in the oil and they felt this was a major factor in the engine failure.

Of course, Fram quickly followed up with rebuttal that went something along the lines that they subsequently worked closely with the Cummins team and determined that the silicon was likely NOT from their filters but they changed the design/materials in that filter anyway to ensure there were no doubts. Fram stated that thier filter continues to meet or exceed OEM specs. Interestingly enough, I never saw Cummins retract or clarify thier initial recommendation of not using Fram. Cummins owns Fleetguard so i would assume they have a vested interest as well in steering folks away from Fram.

Thanks again for the picture! Good supporting information.

·
Registered
303 Posts
All, What is GM's recommendation for Oil filters other than using their own brand (AC Delco) ? Is anybody using Baldwin, Wix or Fleetguard ?

Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts