Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend here at work that just bought a 02 Dmax/Alli.He wants to add a box,but the biggest thing he wants from the box is smoke.He does not want to build the tranny up though.Said he wants more than just a haze,which is what mine puts out.For you guys that are going to say making smoke is a bad thing,he just wants to do this occasionally,cause he has some buddies with Cummins that smoke a good bit.What box makes the most without tearing the tranny up?Thanks and I think we will soon have a new member.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Generally a box that will smoke excessively is going to limp the tranny if ran hard. I would have to say the TST is one of the smokiest boxes, but the Quad 215 smokes quite a bit and is easier on the tranny. Edited by: CPMac

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
If i had to guess i would say a 1.04 predator on the 100HP setting. mine smoked like a banshee although it made less power than other boxes w/ less smoke.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't the Quad 215 limp the tranny easily?Thats alot of power.Also he does not care if it does not make as much power,mainly he just wants to blow some smoke,with his friends when they go places together.

·
Registered
494 Posts
DMAXPWR it depends on what gear your in when your blowing smoke.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
120 hp and above, they all blow smoke. I have driven quite a few different trucks with all kinds of programs. They smoke guys.

mike

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I think the smoke blowing will mostly be at low speeds,so probably 1-4 gears.Speaking of that,I have been wondering.Edge claims that you cannot hardly limp the stock tranny in gears 1-4 ,and have tested some pretty high numbers.On the 03 trucks you can lockout OD.So does that mean you can run high HP and torque numbers if you do it with the OD locked out?Probably a dumb question,but I was just wondering!Thanks for the replys!

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Isn't the rule of thumb when you do a dyno run to be in 1-1? No overdrive. The numbers don't mean squat as a rule, but you must have an equal benchmark for everyone to abide by. Then the #s begin to make sense(i said begin). Then we get into all the other variables that stars some crazy s..t.

·
Registered
494 Posts
5th gear usually limps first followed by 3rd. The more the lower rpm tq usually the more smoke, and low rpm tq is what is hard on a auto tranny. Most smoke is made with the Duramax before it gets a lot of boost so lugging it around will make more smoke. Like Mike said any of the big hp boxes will smoke pretty good and if you don't drive them carefully any of them you could limp the tranny. So if you got a Quad and accidentally limped the tranny you would already be set with a tool that would clear the code so you could catch back up with the Dodge boys.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I don't understand your question Mike. Any properly functioning dyno should be able to read hp properly in any gear but some light load dyno's won't do that well with diesel's in the lower gears because it doesn't load the engine enough to get an accurate reading.

·
Registered
91 Posts
100hp Predator smokes for me. It only really smokes on take off in first. It lets out a light puff in all other gears if you mash it. At WOT, it has a slight haze.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys that have the Predator,is that just a programmer?Also are you satisfied with it?I have seen some posts where people were downing it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
The predator is a programmer. All the predator versions I have been around drove fairly poorly in the top 2 settings and had excessive egt's for the hp output. Another drawback is it is vin locked so it is only useable on one truck and can't be changed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks CPMac.Thats what I was wondering.So basically if you don't like it,you can't sell it either?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I did handle a few to try them out but from what I mentioned and service I got from Diablo I won't sell another one unless the customer has his own reasons and requests it.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
CPMac

My point was; aren't all dyno runs supposed to be run in 4th gear and l/u clutch applied? I know you can run in any gear and post #s, but if you are doing some kind of comparison or evaluation between different trucks it would not be very clear. If you had some dyno sheets in front of you and each truck ran different gear how would you properly evaluate it?

·
Registered
91 Posts
All of the smoke goes with the high EGT's for only 100hp. It looks cool though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Quad + TSTcomp makes the most on my truck.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts

1 - 20 of 21 Posts