Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the juice today and the guy i got it from wanted to know if the diablo ran cooler EGt's. one potential customer talked to a ford guy and he was told the juice will burn up your turbo. that he should get the diablo. any comments??

i guess on another note i shouldnt have put it on and ran level 4 all the way up at 10600# and all the way back loaded bout 17000#. oh well i guess i need guages.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
From what i have seen the hot oj ran cooler than the 100hp predator. Now that they have the updated predator i hear it is cooler, how much i don't know. By far the coolest box i have run would be the 215 quad i am running right now. Cruising around it is 100-150degress cooler than stock. She does get up there when you honk on her, but thats to be expected.

I haven't heard anything about the turbos.........unless your fooling around with the wastegate, i haven't seen potentially high boost readings from either the edge or predator, even stacked the most i seen was 33-34lbs and that was with the wastegate closed. If your haulin with those boxes, i would highly recommend getting gauges before you do melt something. You will be amazed at how much your egts change, going up a grade empty, let alone towing something. I like to think of it as extra insurance , so nothing goes wrong. Later Jeremy

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
The Predator just updated and mine will be back soon, I hope, but the Juice ran a lot cooler than 1.04 version of the Predator.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I think what the Ford guy may be talking about is overspeeding the turbo. Our stock turbo is rated to spin at 125,000 rpm, if memory serves. What a Banks engineer told me is turbo speed/reliability is their limiting factor.

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Propane will produce the coolest EGT`s But of the boxes I have tried to date, I would have to give the node to the Stealth.

I have had the 90hp Juice, the 140hp+ TST Powermax, the 100hp Predator, the 120hp+ Predator, the 135hp Stealth, and 100hp propane. (NO; Not all at once
)

The Predator 100 produced the most heat, then the 90hp Juice, then the TST Powermax and 120hp+ Predator are about the same, then the 135hp Stealth, the coolest without a doubt is the 100hp propane.

Don't forget all the power addons I mentioned can be set to much lower settings, and that will lower EGT`s with the exception of Propane. (the lower you set it the warmer it will get until back to stock temperatures)

The TST Powermax has by far the most power, so much you can not use nearly all of it, The Predator has the most usable toys, The stealth is probably the best of the ones I have used. (only because of the lower temperatures)

The TST Powermax has built in Boost and EGT gauges, and on the fly power/torque switching. By far the easiest to set up and use. So it is my favorite hands down. And once I have the tranny fixed the TST will be back in the thick of things.

I am one of thousands waiting on the release of the new hot Juice with the in cab controler/monitor

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok towing a combinaton around 17000 give or take with 90 hp juice what level should i use.... off? i dont have gauges...yet...nor do i actually own a juice box but i aint giving it back. and i do plan on gettign the xmonitor by christmas. or should i say for christmas.....

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
You are talking about towing 10,000 lbs with no gauges. Unless you have a good after market air cleaner and a 4 inch exhaust, I would say do not use more then 40-50 rwhp over stock. That kind of load with 4 inch exhaust and something like the stage II AFE air filter system you should be fine up to about 60 extra horse power. (that is 60hp over stock)

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
stealth 215 by far.....power and egt temp.

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
sdaver said:
stealth 215 by far.....power and egt temp.

If you call 1700°f plus cool...

ALL of the Comp units regardless of mfr. run at over 1600°f whether you see it or not. If you don't then your probe is too slow.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I tow on level 2 with the 90 HP Juice. On several occasions towing my 10K Wildcat last summer I had to force a down shift to stay out of the red zone. Later! Frank

·
Registered
994 Posts
Frank,

Have you ever towed in Level 1? How does it compare with Level 2 on the Juice (ie. egt, low end power, etc)?

Also, do you know if Level 1 is timing only or are they also adding additional fuel?

Alan

·
Registered
351 Posts
I always towed on #1 with my Juice. Never got to hot on any grade even at 26K gross. I would have to back out of the throttle on #2. I believe 1 & 2 are timing, 3 & 4 add more fuel.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i should drop to 1 for towing?

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts

·
Vendor
9,676 Posts
The above chart is wheel power NON corrected of Stock vs.Juice 1 and 2 levels. The difference in the onset of setting 2 is probably because I used the Hot Juice/Attitude on Level 1 (same as std Juice L2) to select max low boost fueling, and it likely gagged a bit. Juice 1 is an average out of the box Juice unit.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Maverick,

Thanks for the reply and info. I am looking to get just a little more power in the 1700 - 2000 rpm range of the motor. My travel trailer weighs just 6k pounds plus another 1k pounds worth of motorcycles/gear in bed of truck when going camping in the desert. Here in California, the max speed towing a trailer is 55 mph which means you can get away with 62-63 without attracting to much attention. This puts the DMAX in the 1800 rpm area. When pulling some of the major passes out of the LA basin, the stock truck will not hold 1800 rpm without down shifting. If you take the passes at 2000 rpm it goes right over them. So I don't need a 400 hp engine, just a little extra punch down low (1700 - 2000 rpm). I've really been curious about the level 1 on the juice. You don't hear much about it since most people buy these things for the max HP level.

John,

Appreciate you posting the hp/torque charts. I have really been waiting to buy a ECM re-programmer type box, the thought being this is/was the most eloquent solution. However, to date, most of what has been posted about these type of boxed indicate they are more slanted towards HP at the top end of the power band. Maybe the juice is the right solution, just using the lowest setting. I'll wait to see how the juice/attitude plays out. Let the bugs get worked out first. To bad we cannot get the Edge Juice fuel/timing profiles added to an ECM programmer.

The topic of this thread (lowest EGT) also caught my eye. I suspect the quad is getting the lower EGT by advancing the timing aggressively (??) Not sure if I want to go this direction either. In three or four months we'll see where everything stands and you'll be hearing from me.

Thank you for taking the time to reply,

Alan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts