Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been able to find anything specifically to clean up the ouside fins on the radiator. Brake cleaner has been recommended. Is this a good Idea?

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
i doubt i'd use brake cleaner, if i wanted to clean up my rad i'd remove it and soak it in soapy water overnight then gently hit it with the hose so as not to bend fins. if fins are bent use a nail file from the other side to straighten them out.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
edzzed;1567800; said:
i doubt i'd use brake cleaner, if i wanted to clean up my rad i'd remove it and soak it in soapy water overnight then gently hit it with the hose so as not to bend fins. if fins are bent use a nail file from the other side to straighten them out.
Thanks!! What about all those crusty old bugs...you'd think someone would sell something that you could spray on and then hose off.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
jifaire;1567848; said:
Formula 409 and soak ... lots.
Jimmy,

Don't forget to tell him he has to pull the rad to properly clean it. :)

It's on my loooooooong list of things to do.

Dave

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
if you look around auto parts places you can find a brush specifically made for cleaning and straightening the fins

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have used the coil cleaning stuff for A/C and refigeration etc. You squirt it on and it will foam up and has a pretty strong chilating effect. Chilating of course I don't know how to spell it but it lifts and breaks up the crud. Rinse and repeat until clean. You will probably have to pick and carefuly brush off the tough stuff no matter what you use.

You should be able to find it at hardware store or ask an A/C shop for some. Careful the professional stuff can be pretty harsh - watch overspray etc.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dave12;1567929; said:
Jimmy,

Don't forget to tell him he has to pull the rad to properly clean it. :)

It's on my loooooooong list of things to do.

Dave
I was planning on pulling it all the way out. I'm replacing the water pump and vacuum pump this weekend.

·
Banned
9,366 Posts
Perfect, MP ... you cannot BELIEVE the amount of crap you can get out of a rad once you get it laying horizontal on a couple of plastic 5-gal pails and soak it for a while.

Note - try to clean it someplace where you don't have to pick up the dead bugs when you're done. Like a Wal-mart parking lot, or in the employee parking at your local courthouse. (no wait, maybe that's not such a good idea...)

·
Registered
346 Posts
BilL Heath sells a cleaner on his web-site for radiator fins.

·
Registered
771 Posts
dmitch;1568098; said:
BilL Heath sells a cleaner on his web-site for radiator fins.

He also reccomends using a commercial grade air conditioner coil cleaner from a heating and air conditioning store or scrubbing bubbles a tile and shower cleaner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts