Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to upgrade my factory Bose 6 disc Non-Nav radio to one with a full size screen to use for backup camera and with bluetooth for connecting my phone and retain the steering wheel controls like factory. I don't necessarily need the Navigation since phones do this so well anymore.

What radios are you guys using that can do this?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2007 Klassic CCSB 2500HD. Six-gun w/speedloader, iDash, and EFILive.
1,078 Posts
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX, backup cam, headrest monitors, and the box that retains bongs and steering wheel controls. Pretty sure the newer ones have the option of connecting wirelessly whereas mine has to be wired. Kind of a pain on long trips because I don't like overcharging my phone. You can get a cheaper model that doesn't play DVDs if you're not needing to entertain. Spotify and Waze are good for me, but I do listen to books on Libby on the longer hauls. Plus I can "ok Google" text messages, calls, and nearly everyone else, hands-free. But, this is Android.

·
Registered
1997 Grumman Olson 12 ft step van, NA 6.5 diesel (RPO L57), 4L80E transmission
34 Posts
Radio? Luxury.

This was what I used for a year in my van:

Camera lens Reflex camera Audio equipment Camera accessory Electronic instrument

·
Premium Member
18,194 Posts
I had one similar...
My first foray into electronics was when I was 8 yrs old. I used a government cheese box, and drew on knobs and a dial, then cut the end off of a Christmas light set, stripped the wires, twisted them together, and connected them to the "radio".
Took out all the lights in the house, when mom and dad weren't home, of course.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
572 Posts
I upgraded to a Escalade luxury touch screen navigation head, six CD player and the upgraded Bose amp. All the steering wheel controls work, XM radio and rear passenger console radio controller work as designed . This required re-pinning 23 wires, running 13 new circuits and adding a gps antenna and speed sensor. The “take off” system required programming due to the anti-theft feature by a dealer. I’ve had this since 2006 without fail.
I also added an interface for the back up camera.
I will say the modern Bluetooth heads are awesome but for now I’ll stick to my Cadillac sound.
BTW, my rig had a factory sub woofer that came to life with the upgraded system. Apparently the rigs back then either had a Bose Luxury or Premium sound package (found on glovebox sticker) got the sub installed during assembly not knowing which system it would be classified as. When it’s further along assembly and is classified SLT (Bose premium) they never use the already installed sub. Not sure how they do it today but back in 05 that was the norm.
I remember my wife coming home from work and seeing my new rigs dash completely dismantled wires all over the place and asking “will you remember how it goes back together”? My honest reply “ I think so”…she just shook her head and went in the house. The GMC dealers service writer also had doubts about the modification and informed it would cost me $98 wether it worked or not. Five minutes later a young man drove the truck around and I heard the thumping sound of the woofer. I did provide written instructions on the programming process. I puledl all the information and schematics from The Diesel Page. The head, six CD changer, and larger Bose amp was sourced from the same eBay seller for $800. The GPS antenna and interface was also sourced on eBay as was the flush mount camera.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Radio? Luxury.

This was what I used for a year in my van:

View attachment 646985
I love it! Not a radio guy either. Wife gets in my truck and always goes to turn on the radio, first thing. Then immediately asks, "You still don't have any stations preset?" Hey, I've only had the truck for 16 years. And back up cameras? Well then I can't claim "I never saw that pedestrian." ;-)

Another anecdote.... I was 16 and so proud of the loud bass kicker I added to the old truck. Playing it for Dad he said, "Wow, hearing must get better with age because I know I don't need my radio that loud."

Enjoy fellas. Just making a couple of funnies (y)

I did have the bosses trucks upgraded years back. Put the back-up cam lens in the tail light. You couldn't even tell. Doing that gives you greater options of cams. And a monitor override switch so he could have the back up cam on at anytime. Not just when in reverse.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Check out Crutchfield. I've been buying auto and home electronics from them for 30 years. They are the best at what they do.
I've got JVC/Kenwood stereos in my truck and Suburban. They have bluetooth, USB, satellite radio, and CD players. I've never gotten into all the cell phone base stuff because I spend so much time in places with no service.

Firestopper, it sounds like you went to a huge amount of work to make a "factory" stereo system work. Why did you choose to stick with factory equipment instead of aftermarket? In my experience the cheapest aftermarket speakers, amps, stereos, etc. are generally better than the best factory stuff.

·
Super Moderator
2005 GMC 2500HD
572 Posts
Check out Crutchfield. I've been buying auto and home electronics from them for 30 years. They are the best at what they do.
I've got JVC/Kenwood stereos in my truck and Suburban. They have bluetooth, USB, satellite radio, and CD players. I've never gotten into all the cell phone base stuff because I spend so much time in places with no service.

Firestopper, it sounds like you went to a huge amount of work to make a "factory" stereo system work. Why did you choose to stick with factory equipment instead of aftermarket? In my experience the cheapest aftermarket speakers, amps, stereos, etc. are generally better than the best factory stuff.
Honestly, at the time I did the upgrade the truck was just under a year old. I never had navigation or a back up camera. The aftermarket options in 05-06 were limited and would have disabled my steering wheel controls, OnStar, rear consul radio and possibly my XM. The trucks system looks completely OEM. At the time I also purchased two lifetime XM radio accounts, one being the GMC. Todays aftermarket options are far Supirior to what I have but a head unit alone would come close to what I had in the entire system.

I do agree with your Crutchfield recommendation. My 82 FJ40 land cruiser has an Alpine (Crutchfield) head with bluetooth, phone features and streaming music from my phone is absolutely enjoyable. The sound coming from the rear Polk speakers are fantastic (also Crutchfield). My 2000 Silverado got all new (front/back) speakers from Crutchfield.
The only thing to consider when buying from Crutchfiled is never buy the their lowered or even medium range products.
They are awesome in that they offer a wide range of quality and affordability but one can become disenchanted with rapidly deteriorating sound from inferior components.

As for the amount of work and $ I've invested (still am) in my 05....You have no idea brother. All I can say is I really enjoy learning and being challenged. My rig is mainly been used for pulling trailers and some over the road traveling. The current milage is just under 100K. The rig is my second newest vehicle and at 16 years old she still looks and drives like new. As for the sound, she still has a crisp sound but that's only a matter of time before she gets a speaker upgrade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts