Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How big and heavy are you towing with a 2500 HD D/A mine is 9000 lbs.fully loaded no problem but I might want to go bigger but I have a max pin wt.1800lbs. and the max according to chevy is 13,200 max loaded trailer.I do not doubt the truck can handle more wt. it is the weight over the axle and tires I am more concerned about.:cool:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Our Cedar Creek 5er has a 2K pinweight and weighs right around 11K loaded for a trip. It is 10K empty and has a GVWR of just over 12K and we have towed it once at close to that max weight. Truck pulls it like a dream. In fact, our last 5er was closer in weight to what you currently have and there is virtually no difference in the way this truck tows that one compared to our current one weighing a ton more.

Here is a pic of OUR TEAM ready for travel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just upgraded from a 34.5' Montana to a 37.5' Alpenlite. The dry weight on the Alpenlite is 13,400. Pin weight 2600. Loaded I'm probably 15,000. Went to 265 tires and added air bags. Only pulled the new one about 600 miles all in the flat land. Truck has plenty of power and handles fine. No chip or tunrer, 4" Banks exhaust and KN air filter, full gauges. I'm sure the weight police will be after me for my confession.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I just upgraded from a 34.5' Montana to a 37.5' Alpenlite. The dry weight on the Alpenlite is 13,400. Pin weight 2600. Loaded I'm probably 15,000. Went to 265 tires and added air bags. Only pulled the new one about 600 miles all in the flat land. Truck has plenty of power and handles fine. No chip or tunrer, 4" Banks exhaust and KN air filter, full gauges. I'm sure the weight police will be after me for my confession.
Same here. My SunnyBrook is 14k loaded, 21k GCW. Also went with 265 "E" rated tire (3400lbs each), and 5k AirLift bags-- truck sits nice and level, and tows smooth. We took a 6000+ miles vacation last year out West (steep terrain) and had no issues whatsoever. Didn't have the chip then, but did have the 4" exhaust. Plenty of power, but EGTs can be a concern. Should be interesting heading out West again this summer now that we have a Edge EZ-- which so far has given more power without increasing EGTs. Also plan to try a homemade boost stick to bump up the boost from 22PSI max to about 28PSI max-- which I hope will help reduce EGTs. Also need to remove that all-season screen (should have done that on our last vacation, but too late now). --Paul.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Weighed mine before i parked it for the winter. Drivers were 4210 Rear was 6106 and the duals were 10141 Combined was 20457. You can definately tell its behind you but still tows well. I have pulled the same trailer with a dually and the diference is night and day. If i was to go any long distance with it i would definately look into a dually. Pics of setup are in garage :cool:

·
Registered
58 Posts
RK- I pull a 31 ft Alpha Gold which weighs 14,000 lbs. We just got back from our first trip with the new truck and I just can't stop grinning. I was able to pull the trailer up a 3 mile 7% grade at 50-55 mph with pedal left and the temp gauges including EGT never moved above the normal ranges. My 97 Dodge deisel would only pull it up about 25 mph with the gauges buried in the red. Bought the best truck available in 97 and bought the best truck available in 06 IMHO.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I pull the 35' Sportsman Ultra New Vison. Dry weight is 10k and max is 12.5k. I never had it weighed but I know when I'm loaded I'm pushing 12.5 if not more. Not one bit of trouble. In fact when ppl are following me somewhere they all comment on keeping up and how they hardly see the brake lights coming down a hill. Gotta luv that allison.

Just put a set of air bags on it in Nov. and 265's so I'm curious to see how it rides now with them. Also hoping to have the Edge before long here. Can't wait for the next trip. When I bought this camper I had a 03 ext cab with the 6000 vortek. It pulled it but it took every, I mean EVERY horse that it had to get up some hills. I don't think you'll have any problem unless you go Extremely bigger IMO.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Weekend Warrior LE3905. I'm probably at 14k loaded.

I've got a 4" lift so, put the air-bags on.

Put the Edge w/ Attitude, Cold air intake and 4" exhaust on for more towing power.

Put the 45 gallon gas tank on so I wouldn't have to stop so often. Don't want to have to bring that rig in for a landing for fuel too often.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Cedar Creek 29LRLBS goes about little over 10k empty,figure close to 11k with all rv gear(crap) aboard. Pin weight is 1690 empty. Trucks pulls it great,a lot better than last 2500hd 8.1,smoother and a lot less effort.

Sierra8.1:ro)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a 29' Liberty 5er trailer weighes 10,140lbs loaded pin weight 2,050lbs combined 17,680lbs. Pulls great, bought the trailer in September so haven't pulled hills in 90+degrees yet but so far no problems. Was a little rough going on bumpy roads til I installed some Bilsteins now it is much better.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My 31' Sunnybrook is about 11k with 1800# pin weight.
Mileage around 11-12 towing it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
38 foot triple slide 13480 lbs loaded for the road

·
Registered
69 Posts
I pull a Montana 2955RL (33 ft) which gives a total 17860# and about 2100# pin. I shift as much weight to the rear as I can and sometimes keep extra water in the tank which is all the way aft.

It sits perfectly level. I have no power mods. Added the ODLO and use it on some rolling hills and down mountains.

Average about 14mpg towing on non-mountain roads without strong headwinds. Overall towing average is about-12. Plenty of power for me. 22 mpg empty.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Rig in the sig, pulled 10k miles with the 01 then got the 05 now 06 dually, both pull like a train, the Dually just that much more stable in the cross winds. SRW dose get better fuel milage than the 05 did, first long trip with the 06 in about a month, but mileage looks to be closer to the 01's.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Our Cedar Creek 5er has a 2K pinweight and weighs right around 11K loaded for a trip. It is 10K empty and has a GVWR of just over 12K and we have towed it once at close to that max weight. Truck pulls it like a dream. In fact, our last 5er was closer in weight to what you currently have and there is virtually no difference in the way this truck tows that one compared to our current one weighing a ton more.
Mine weighs a little more. Only pulled it once so far but was up a good hill (north on 101 through redwood country). Had no problems at all.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I pull a 35' Chateau. It isn't as fancy as some but has a back bedroom for the grand kids or friends. It weighs almost 9K empty. Hardly know it is back there. Truck is stock and it runs up and down the hills in upstate New York at any speed you want to go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey CODMAX, what is an ODLO?

·
Registered
617 Posts
5er in sig is 18,700lbs loaded according to CAT scales, GVW is a hair over 25K. Pull it all over the country, nary a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
38.7 Montana Quad slide 3400RL 2006

Pulling with a 2002 Duramax Crew Cab, 14,000 lb loaded maybe ,2,800 on the PIn,in the Process in getting a dually,this is a little bit heavy for the 2500 HD,it pulls just great, but i'm over my gvw. I will feel safer in the dually.Just my opinion.:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts