Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best tires?

Here are the criteria:

1. Must come in LT245/75R16E size for Duramax.

2. Must have "E" load rating (we haul truck campers and tow)

3. Must be very off-road capable (sand, snow, and some mud)

4. Must be very good for use on snow covered and icy roads.

5. Must be suitable for driving 90 highway miles per day, driving to work.

6. Must be American made.

7. Please base opinion on personal experience.

Thanks for the advice!

Edited by: DuckDog

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm currently running Bridgestone Dueler A/T's (not Revos). They are okay, but I won't buy them again. I had BGF AT's on before this set and they were much better on snowy/icy roads and I got great mileage out of them. I also had 3 sets of BFG AT's on other vehicles while living in northern IL (similar conditions to what you see) and loved them. Edited by: WYO_DMAX

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tony,

The Pro Comps are not available in a "E" load rating. We need the load rating for hauling truck campers and other heavy loads.

WYO_DMAX,

I had BFG TA/KO's on my last truck. They were great tires. Also, thanks for the advice on what tires not to buy.Edited by: DuckDog

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Well, I can help you with everything except the "American made." I put a set of Dunlop Radial Rover A/T LT245/75R16E on in June. Been getting great wear, great traction and am very pleased with them with 6 months and nearly 20k miles on them. Also bought them at Sam's Club for $94 each!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
i run bfgoodrich AT KO's (hummer tires), load range D but rated for higher load than OEM firestone E's. look at actual rating vs relying on the range unless you just want a 10 ply tire. the KOs are said to go forever (60-70K with proper rotation), only have 1500 miles so far. only way to get the "best" tire is keep tryin em

Also, generally, your #3 and #5 contradict each other. not very many high mileage mud tires around
Edited by: ski1

·
Registered
11,955 Posts
3 conflicts with everything including itself.(see post on the snow tires) If it does great in the mud it will suck for everything else(except maybe sand or crawling) although it might be fine in deep snow.

For sand the biggest thing is flotation not the tread really. Wide is better and airing down is a big help.

Dunlops owned by goodyear and american made right? or at least american owned I do know.

I like my dunlops in the snow and rain(I plow so snow traction is important). BFG's are owned by the french so they wernt an option last time I decided on tires. I did like my yokos in the past(geolander 2's) and perelli scorpions are pretty good at's.

Cooper line seems to be well liked in the AT type tire and I might look at them in the future.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
3. Must be very off-road capable (sand, snow, and some mud)*

This means driving on unplowed snow covered or icy roads, sandy two track trails, and the ocassional mud hole in the trail. The kind of stuff you might encounter hunting and fishing on state forest land here in Michigan. I did not mean mud bogging or running sand dunes. My truck came with Bridgestone V-Steel highway tires, and they really suck in the snow. They are even worse in sand, and I would not even go in the mud with them. Even if BFG's were French owned, they have a plant in Ohio.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
DuckDog said:
Tony,

The Pro Comps are not available in a "E" load rating. We need the load rating for hauling truck campers and other heavy loads.

WYO_DMAX,

I had BFG TA/KO's on my last truck. They were great tires. Also, thanks for the advice on what tires not to buy.

They are available in a 265/75-16 in load range "E".

here at Pro Comp's

Part # 160265 rated at 3410 lbs load

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
DuckDog said:
I would like to go to the 265's to get the 3410 lb. weight rating, but I'm afraid of this damn GM Duramax change your tire size and we won't do your warranty work thing.

I would not worry about 1 tire size. They (265')s are stock on Tahoe's and Suburbans and I think maybe even the 1500 series.

They look much better with 265's anyway, plus the range fits the requirement.

GO FOR IT ..........

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Bridgestone Dueler Revo's meet all stated criteria except for the Made in America part. Where is Isuzu from?

·
Registered
148 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
With globalization, mergers, etc., you cannot jump to any conclusions, and have to read sidewalls to see where anything is made. The stock Firestone Steeltex is made in Canada, and the company is now Japanese owned. BFG is owned by Michelin, which makes many tires marketed here in a South Carolina plant. Dunlop, is now owned by Sumitomo, a Japanese company.

Here in Vermont, it is widely accepted that the best snow tire is a Nokian, a brand from Finland. I bought a set, and the sidewall says made in USA. I suspect they are made under contract to Nokian specs in a Firestone-Bridgestone plant.

I know somebody who bought a Dodge Ram 2500 because he wanted to buy American. His truck was made in Mexico. I told him he should have bought a Nissan, made in Mississippi. Boy, did he get mad.

·
Banned
2,067 Posts
Well Stated!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well, if you want to upgrade to a 265 the Nitto Terra Grapplers comes in an E rating for that size. And I can personally attest to the fact that they are great tires.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run the Toyo Open Country A/T in 285/75/16. Do very very nicely in all the aspects you have asked. I believe they are 8 ply. I drive 70-80 miles round trip work. Tires have done exceptionally well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
ski1 said:
i run bfgoodrich AT KO's (hummer tires), load range D but rated for higher load than OEM firestone E's. look at actual rating vs relying on the range unless you just want a 10 ply tire. the KOs are said to go forever (60-70K with proper rotation

Will these fit on a stock 2WD truck? I'm thinking of going to these and would like to hear what's required. Also, will one fit in the spare compartment? TIA

·
Registered
176 Posts
You can NOT get everything you want in one tire package, especially as you get into the extremes of each category you listed. You'll have to decide what's more important to you, and comprimise on others. With that said, I like Cooper MT's! But they wear out fast if you drive hard(pavement), but I love'em in the mud and snow(alot of my driving
). I'm actually NOT sure if they make that tire for a 2004 HD. I had them on a 2000(old body style) HD.

So far i'm happy with the factory all terrains.

Good luck!

Edit: They changed the name to discoverer STT. Here is the link.

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/selectorVehicle3.asp

http://www.coopertire.com/us/en/ProductDetails.asp?ProdType=SUV&id=28Edited by: 338_

·
Registered
63 Posts
i have had a set of cooper s/'s for winter and did great in the mud too. since i got a new truck i have cooper stt's now. great in the mud and deep snow but suck in ice. if i had to get a set just for winter months i would get cooper s/t's again. cheap and last a long time..

patrick

1 - 20 of 28 Posts