Diesel Place banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I received a call that my Mom was taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. She is one of those folks who is never sick, last time she was in the hospital was 41 years ago when my youngest sister was born! Won't go any further without saying she's home and doing fine.

The 653 mile round trip and the way our '02 3500 D'max preformed is the real point of this post. The above info is given not as an excuse but to explain my motivation to make the trip in a hurry!
To say I ran her hard would be a major understatement. Drove her on I-40 at whatever speed I could latch onto a group of vehicles traveling. This is quiet different for me, I usually set the cruise on the speed limit +5 and just ride. Much of the trip was made at 80-85 mph. The real WOW came when she went up Ridgecrest Mountain. Those who have traveled it (I-40 from Old Fort to Black Mountain,NC) will know what I am talking about. It is said to be the steepest 6 mile section of I-40 from ocean to ocean with a constent grade of 6%-7%. Not only is this grade steep, it is also (to say the least) rather curvy. With my Hot Juice unit set on the lowest setting, going up she never fell below 66 mph and much of the time was 70-72 (55 mph speed limit
) ... the impressive part is she never down shifted out of overdrive
. Drove a little saner on the return trip (but not much) and averaged 17.4 mpg for the entire trip!

To say the least ... I was impressed (not surprised) by the way she ran!

Jim

·
Registered
10,516 Posts
Hope your mom is okay, glad your trip went without incident.

J

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got Juice? said:
Hope your mom is okay, glad your trip went without incident.

J

Thanks for the good wishes ... as I said above she is fine now, in fact for a 78 year old lady, she is doing exceptionally well ... had to have emergency gall bladder surgery, when they got it out they found gangrene in it
our family is counting our lucky stars ...

Jim

·
Registered
149 Posts
Glad to hear she is doing better, Jim !

1 - 4 of 4 Posts