Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to check out my winter front today before I really needed it. The grille cover went on easily and covered the most area for air to get in, but the lower unit was a pain to install and only covered up two small openings in the bumper. Has anyone just installed the upper only and been pleased with the results? It also would seem like a couple of simple plugs could be made to snap into the bumper instead of the large cover, has anyone tried to make something like this?

Joe

2003 Chevrolet LT D/A EC/SB

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Joe

All I use is the Upper portion do to the install of my Piaa airdam .... That took me away from that option, but worth it ...
The upper portion is the most beneficial part of the cover IMHO for warmer operating temps in below 30* temps ... The lower half only covers the intercooler openings ...

Mac

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Does anyone know of a place to buy the grille cover, I figure the dealer wouldnt be too cheap of a place to get one. I didnt get one with my truck when I bought it(used). I would like to get one though before too long cause it is already starting to break into the upper 30's.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Joe,

I only used the upper portion and it did help a lot with engine warm up and to maintain engine heat. Just before I got it on the temps dropped in the single digits and the engine just would not heat up and that ment little to no heat in the cab.
With the upper portion on all was well. But this spring when I took it off all kinds of sand and stuff had gotten inbetween the cover and the grill and scuffed up the plastic chrome around the grill
. When I get some time I am going to look into installing something behind the grill this year.

Steve

·
Registered
3,410 Posts
Don't like em. They will cause the bumper to rust with in a few weeks. The grille cover isn't to bad but it wears the chrome off the plastic cross bar.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can only use the grill cover due to Boss plow gear(no plastic below bumper)and agree with Mac, and keep it on all winter. But as HD says sand will get behind and cause problems if you don't clean on a regular basis, if Chevy,I have GMC no problem
I think the bumper rust is a Chevy problem too,maybe should have bought the "professional grade"

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was just thinking about the front cover this evening, as the temp is in the upper 30's. As already mentioned, I don't want to use the cover on my '03 GMC, as it will scratch the front chrome. I'm thinking about a sheet of plastic (around 1/16" thick) in front of the radiator. It looks to be pretty easy to install after taking off the upper radiator cover that is just behind the hood latch. I believe that with the cover off, the whole radiator area is exposed, and a piece of sheet plastic could be put in front of the radiator.

I've also thought about some Lund or Putco grill covers, but they don't cover the lower bumper air holes.

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
White Duramax said:
Does anyone know of a place to buy the grille cover, I figure the dealer wouldnt be too cheap of a place to get one. I didnt get one with my truck when I bought it(used). I would like to get one though before too long cause it is already starting to break into the upper 30's.
Keep an eye on Ebay .... There is a dealer in Florida (?) Georgia (?) that sells them cheap,Maypole Chevrolet .... I actually bought a set to have as a spare .... I was going to mod my original to fit a screen in bug season ...

Mac Edited by: Mackin

·
Registered
183 Posts
You should be able to make 2 pieces for the bumper holes without too much problem but I don't know if you need them and they might have to be removed if it gets warm.With the grill cover on I have towed 22,000 gcw on warm days and have not had a problem(bumper holes open).I think that plastic might be a good idea to cover the rad but I bet you will need 3/16 or 1/4 just to be safe, or well reinforced.Yes the grill cover will scratch the plastic if you do not clean real often

·
Registered
341 Posts
I used my front on my '03 last winter, but not that often. And I washed it when I took it off.

Has anyone put a thin plastic sheet over the edges of the "heavy duty" chrome grill (I have a GMC), then put on the cold front?

Would that keep the grains of dirt & sand from digging into the grill?

·
Registered
403 Posts
you guys need to find warmer climates...
I'm thinking about selling mine..... It's still in the plastic wrapper....

·
Registered
183 Posts
Nah I think the grill looks kinda
blacked out.People look twice to see what make it is with the grill covered
Than you hear oh he has the PRO MODEL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you suppose that something as simple as Saran wrap over the chrome bar on the Chevy grille would protect it from scratching??

·
Registered
11,646 Posts
I dont run the bumper cover as it dont have cutouts to go around the Western. The grill cover worked good for me, run it all season. I made sure the grill was clean and the cover was clean before installing it, took it off this spring and just washed it, not a scratch.. Maybe the GMC grills are indeed better... you know, professional grade and all.. besides scratches add charecter.

Eric

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
My experience is the same as dmaxalliTech. My cover was on very tight and never loosened up. Hopefully it will be as good this year. Ran the grill cover from Nov to March. When it cam off the back was a bit dirty but I simply brushed it off good and put it a way.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I bought an extra red "GMC" grill emblem & shaved the back flat, then sewed it into the center of my cover (where there is already a "GMC" logo in the vinyl).

It looks really good.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I ran both covers the first year and the grill cover again last winter. No scratches or rust either time. I cleaned the grill cover before installing last year. Later! Frank
Edited by: Frank Blum

·
Registered
817 Posts
I don't run the bumper, but do run a Lund plastic on the grill. It fits in-between the crome and has 3 pieces on the top and bottom. I modified mine to be able to have the clips attached to the grill so I can take off some or all of it with the thumb screws and put it back on quickly. I put the screws in the ashtray when not in use. The temp variation is too much here to be able to put it on and forget it. I have found that pulling just the center two sections when needed leaves me in good shape. I watch tranny temp to judge when to put on and take off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I'm surprised you need it at all in Texas! When new, I took one look at mine and ordered up a lund for the grill. Used it all last winter without issue and temps close to -40°F on occasion.

Hope to be installing a Webasto Blue Heat in a few weeks!

http://www.webasto.us/press/en/am_auto_heaters_734.html

·
Registered
817 Posts
My problem is it's cold in the morning and then hits 50-60 in the afternoon. If I want to get heat out before I pull into the parking lot, I have to use the block heater and the cold front. The only thing consistant about our weather is change.
For a 4th generation Texan, 30 is cold, -40 garantees death.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts