Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been beat to death, I hate to start another thread, but I gotta know.. Why is there a need for a secondary filter? Why not just replace the OEM filter more frequently?

And while I'm about to change my OEM filter (10k miles) is there a better aftermarket replacement?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The problem is that the OEM filter is only capturing roughly 50% of the contaminants in diesel fuel which cause accelerated pump and injector wear rates. The diesel fuels we are buying are either not filtered or minimally filtered for particle fractions less than 30 microns in size; thus millions of abrasive particles per gallon go through our Duramax pump and injector with the OEM filter. Depending on diesel fuel source quality/dirt level, significantly shortened pump and injector life. Secondary filters can provide up to 98%+ filtration efficiency in capturing the 5 to 10 micron size contaminant which results in a huge reduction in the target wear causing contaminants and fuel system and many level increase in fuel system life and engine performance.

George Morrison

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. Is there a better direct replacement for the OEM filter? I'm planning on adding a pre-OEM filter but I'd like to replace the OEM with a better unit as well if there's one available..

·
Registered
394 Posts
No, that is the problem; there are no 'better' OEM style fuel filters currently available. At this point the GM filter is it. There are other 'brands' but all are re-branded OEM.. The only options are to add supplmental filtration or do as I did, put in your own 1,000 gallon tank equipped with a 2 micron desiccant breather and 2 micron beta 2000 fuel filter providing 12/10/8 ISO cleanliness fuel into my tank.
George MorrisonEdited by: Georgecls

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's too bad.. You'd think that in the three years the duramax has been out somebody would have started making a better OEM-replacement filter.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I still want one of you smart machinist type guys to manufacture an adapter to allow a good filter to be screwed onto the stock base. I've heard rumors of someone doing just that. I, for one would pay hadsomely for such an item. You would lose the water in fuel sensor, but that wouldn't bother me too much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A64 pilot,

There is an adapter out there! About a month ago there was a thread on the other page about a guy who had made one in his garage. Don't remember his name, but you could probably find it on search. If I remember correctly, it adapted either the CAT or RACOR 2 micro.

Left some serious concerns tho about warranty problems taking the OEM off.Edited by: chipper

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
That thread died because of the mods at the 'other page' screaming vendor vendor, you must pay extra

It seemed there's more to adding an adapter than just making it, unless someone pulled him aside and they're working on the marketing aspect of it.

·
Banned
6,539 Posts
BROKER...... what's your opinion?

·
Registered
448 Posts
chipper,

What I want is an adapter that can be screwed on or off so that the reinstallation of a stock filter should be simple if your worried about warranty concerns. It may of course also require the filter head to be shimmed out some also.

·
Registered
340 Posts
a64pilot,

That is what he had made. I think there was also a thread on WWW.pickuptrucks.com about this. On second thought I think that is where it origionated.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I looked for the link and didn't have any luck but I like the idea. Send me a PM if you find the link I am pretty interested in this way of gettig around GM and their crapy fuel filter.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
I have thought of making something like that but here is what prevents me:

1) warranty - some liability is surely incurred when you remove the OEM fuel filter from someone's 40k truck.. not sure if i want that to be me. IMHO the OEM filter needs to stay

2) multiple filters are better than one, at least i think so. george has proven filters in succession work better as the second doesn't have to work so hard. if i can run a CAT pre-oem and the OEM filter, why would i want just one when i can have two?

3) water seperator - i do think that you should keep the oem as a water seperator. i've never seen any water in mine, but think it really should be there even if you emulsify (which i do).

4) granted the idea sounds neat, but i guess i wonder why would you want to do that when we already have a couple excellent aftermarket filtration options. i do like the idea, but if i were faced w/ the choice of secondary filtration or an OEM replacement, i'd take the aftermarket for the simple reason that i think 2 filters are better than one.

then again i think its neat to show off the cat stuff too.. just today at the gas station i showed a cummins owner the filter.. "Damn, you got a CAT filter on that rig? That's cool" was what he said.. not that this last part really matters to anyone but me

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Roger that, but with a pre-OEM setup, it's not going to catch rust that originates from the POS OEM filters. I agree that two filters are better than one, I'd just rather have two CAT filters on there and no OEM junker.

Is there any point in ever changing the OEM filter if you've got a pre-OEM setup? I mean, anything small enough to get through the pre-OEM will go right through the OEM like it's not even there, won't it? So will the OEM ever trap anything at all?

·
Registered
448 Posts
chipper,

If you find out how to get one, I want one too.

Diesel power,

1. I would be removing it, it would be easy to undo, so I don't worry about the warranty.

2. multiple filters are better, I agree absolutely! I just think it makes more sense to filter say to 10 microns first then to 2, not the other way around.

3. I emulsify, I don't think it's an issue for Me, I can only speak for Myself.

4.Why does it have to be one or the other? I'm thinking both to be honest. See #2 above. I think that two big Cat's would beat One Cat and the stock filter.

Edited by: a64pilot

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and I like it already. I have been a machinist for nearly 18 years and I like A64Pilot's idea of having 2 filters, first one for catching the big chunks and the second for the smaller particles. I have never changed the fuel filter in my truck and now I am scared to. I have 40,000 miles on it and this is my first diesel. I have always been used to changing the fuel filter at 50K. As soon as I get my truck back from the dealership I will be looking at the installation of a new filter and a pre-filter. I will be looking at a way to design an adaptor to fit an aftermarket filter in place of the OEM. If I have any luck I will post it and let everyone know. My only question is where can I get one of these RACOR filters? Is this an order on-line item only or would any parts store carry them?

·
Registered
448 Posts
acehi,

Any filter you can get that fit's the stock mount so far is a Racor, no matter what it says on the can. I think a screw on thread adapter would do what I want, of course the threads on the replacement filter would have to be bigger than the stock ones of course.

BTW, don't wait until you make something, change your filter now!!! Filters appear to load up and release alot of the contaminants they have been trapping over time if the are run too long. I don't know if the restriction get's so high that the filter element finally tears or what, but bad things happen. IMHO a lot of the injector wear is from uninformed owners not changing their filters early enough. But, I'm of the opinion that fuel can't be too clean. I just want to double filter is all, with the capability of reinstalling the stock filter by merely screwing off one filter and screwing on the stock one.

·
Banned
1,492 Posts
hoot said:
BROKER...... what's your opinion?

We like our set-up.(Twin Pre Racors) But i will agree that a better OEM would be nice.We bought a cutter and were equaly upset with a few rusted OEM filters.Mind you we have cut 22 filters and only 4 were rusted.Poor quality control IMO.We have no issues with injectors right now but the 1 incedent on the #8 injector on the 02.

I think my trucks do well on injectors due to little idleing ,constantly running and lack of frequent stop-start-go situations.I believe preassure boxes can hurt also,but that is another story.

With what we have to work with,i can only say change the OEM filter frequently.Edited by: BROKER

1 - 20 of 61 Posts