Diesel Place banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What´s next for GM and their Duramax 6.6?

We are now hearing that the Defiance foundry is soon ending with greyiron blocks. From were will GM then take the blocks for the Duramax 6.6?
It´s been mentioned that a upgrade in Defiance would be too costly.
Upgrade to what?

I think the just upgraded engine will have a block in CGI in a year or two. Like Ford and Cummins V8 diesels. GM s V8 and one V6 from Mercedes are the only two V-diesels that doesn´t have a block in CGI. Is that what GM means with "global standards"

He also said that, if GM were to continue making the parts in Defiance, it would need to make substantial changes.

“To upgrade the equipment would have been cost prohibitive,” he said.

“I don’t know the age of the equipment, but it would have been significant to upgrade to compete at global standards.”

150 Laid Off From GM Defiance Foundry | GM Authority

General Motors plans cuts at Defiance foundry - The Blade

Please come with our own analyze of what´s up?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
My guess is the Dmax blocks will be foreign-sourced; GM is very PR sensitive, thus no mention of where production will shift to. Can you imagine the fallout if they announced production was moving to China?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Last time in 2008 when they were going to introduce the Duramax 4500 with a block in CGI, GM laid an productionorder at Tupy i Brazil but it was cancelled due to economical downturn.
Since then both Tupy and Teksid has established good CGI-capacity in Mexico. I think Mexoco is most likely with it´s strategic position inside the NAFTA. Ford are sourcing several CGI-blocks from there. China is coming, but not yet.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Interesting! Two things: Gary Arvan, the chief engineer of the Duramax, mentioned in a video of the new L5P that all major components were increase from 150 bar to 180 bar "cylinder pressure capability". This would include the block.

Also, their previous process of "inductioned hardened" cylinder bores are still being used in the L5P. What does 180 bar (2610 psi) translate to in torque? I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtXjEy5hkwA

·
Premium Member
17,862 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting! Two things: Gary Arvan, the chief engineer of the Duramax, mentioned in a video of the new L5P that all major components were increase from 150 bar to 180 bar "cylinder pressure capability". This would include the block.

Also, their previous process of "inductioned hardened" cylinder bores are still being used in the L5P. What does 180 bar (2610 psi) translate to in torque? I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtXjEy5hkwA
Gale Banks is wrting on his Facebook about CGI in the coming upgrade

" For our Marine engines and Motorsports applications that would be a game changer. The L5P version is not pushing your current casting limits at all. If we see 600 hp diesel pickups in a few years, then it would be CGI time."
------------------

But Defiance is ending it´s greyiron production soon. :clap:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
The release posted says "plans to stop making certain cast-iron engine parts" as opposed to 'all cast iron parts'.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Compacted Graphite Iron. It's what the Powerstroke block is made of. It's lighter than traditional iron blocks. Many think it's the end-all, be-all material for blocks, but it has some drawbacks.

·
Premium Member
14,363 Posts
When GM say upgrading isn't cost effective, it's corporate speak for "we can get the parts made cheaper elsewhere".

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
"...plans to stop making cast-iron engine blocks and cylinder heads." I totally missed that part of the article.
you missed the word 'certain', which is important because it can also be interpreted that some can/will continue to be poured.

·
Registered
73 Posts
The Cummins 5.0 weighs almost as much as the Duramax with CGI and aluminum heads. I don't see the weight savings there.

In the article below, it talks about a gentleman that was hired at GM and is quoted with the words, "I love diesels". It also mentioned that he does not seem willing to spend money on technologies just for bragging rights when existing ones will do just fine. Could that mean the same for CGI?

Who knows! They may still use it down the road. Here the article:

http://www.autonews.com/article/20140320/BLOG06/140329986/gms-new-head-of-powertrain-loves-diesels

1 - 17 of 17 Posts