Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the truck last night, and plan on putting the break-in miles on it this week. This is my first diesel, and I'm looking for advice to keep it running long and strong. What is reccommended for a new LLY truck? I've read the posts regarding secondary filtration, and I plan on that ASAP. Anything else that should be addressed right away? Any tips on what direction to go in filter-wise? We'll be towing a 35' camper through out the warmer months, and I'll drive it a few days a week, but it won't be a daily driver.

Thanks,

MarkEdited by: 99 31U VERT

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
Mark,

do a search on the forum as there have been many many many threads on secondary filtration.

basically it all boils down to personal preference and mounting location. most of the kits out there will do just fine. there are 3 major kits- mine (nicktane-CAT), Greg's (Racor), and John's (Mega-Baldwin). GM also makes a kit which is basically a copy of Greg's from what i've heard. Beyond that some poeple make their own from pieces, but as i said do a search for either of the 3 types and you'll get more reading that you probably want..

Nick

·
Registered
817 Posts
One thing you should do is check all fluids, especially the diffs and make sure they are full.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ok I read some posts about this secondary filtration and I have some ? Why is it needed? Is the oem filter not good enough? This is my first diesel so take it easy on me. I don't drive in very dirty conditons.Edited by: edgey dmax

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Nick, I'll do some research over the weekend.

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts