Diesel Place banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on my second set of Westin Nerf's - Black powder coating - in less than 18 months.

The powder coating is flaking off in pieces like the metal was dirty when they applied the powder coating.

Anyone else see this happening with theirs ?????

I will be getting a new set again under warranty....but who wants to do this every year ????????

Thinking stainless steel or chrome.........

How do they hold up compared to powder coated ?????

T
NYEdited by: GMC-2002-Dmax

·
Banned
449 Posts
The problem with the westins in they are an open tube. Water basically gets inside the tube and eats is away because it has no way of getting out. Since I havent really seen a set of sealed tube steps, I bought a set of Nasta Stainless bars which look just like the westin platinum bars. Same quality, but half the price.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The outside of the Tube is what has the flaking powdercoating.......once that flakes off it starts surface rusting immediately.

They are not rotted or filled up with water......just poor prep before the powdercoating is applied.

Guess I will check out NASTA's.........anyone here a dealer......???

T
NY

·
Registered
192 Posts
I've had Westin's on my four previous trucks. They were all chrome, and held up well, with the exception of a the set on my '99, which began to rust after about three years. Summit replaced them with no hassles, and reimbursed me for the return shipping. I've got the GM accessory bars on the D/A, and they have plastic gaskets at the tube ends, as well as a weep hole in the bars. They look well made, and carry GM's accessory warranty.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got the Westin chromes. They are a piece of sh#*t. They were rusting shortly after I put them on and I misplaced the bill therefore no warranty. They only way to keep them half decent is to use rust remover and polish them on a regular basis. Westin products are crap. If you're going to change buy stainless from another maker. Just my 2 cents!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have had Westin Platinum CPS on my last 2 trucks. They have not shown any signs of rust at all. IMO they are the best looking bars on the market. I wouldn't go with the straight chrome bars because they will rust. The CPS(chrome plated stainless steel) have a lifetime guarantee against rust. By the way, Minnesota fights ice and snow on the roads with straight salt!

·
Registered
386 Posts
I have the black Powder Coated Westins. Going on 7 mos, no rust problems. I live in SoCal though, so they are not subjected to sand and road salt.

Bill

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I have the stainless Westins, and the only place they are rusting are on the piece that holds the bar at the center.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
rtquig said:
I have the stainless Westins, and the only place they are rusting are on the piece that holds the bar at the center.

Same here!

My last set was Westin Chrome on my Z71, 7 years of wear and NO rust. Rocks, gravel, salt, sand, 170,000 miles. At least once a year I would clean all the tar & road crud off of them and give them a couple coats of Zaino, OR Wax before Istarted using Zaino.

Did you wax your Black bars?

A buddy of mine has a set of Black Westins on his CC 4x4. They have been there for 4 years that I know of. I dont believe they have any visable rust on them. But he is very meticulous and will wax them up a 2 or 3 times a year.

So you might try giving them a coat of wax more often.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I was prepared to put Westin's on my truck when I bought it until the distributor's said not to. That's why I went to Nasta bars. All the dealers up here said not to go with the Westin's due to rusting issues with salt. Plus the chrome plating tends to flake off when subjected to high levels of salt water.

The funny thing was, the dealers would have made more profit selling me the Westins.

They said "the company stands behind their product very well but how many times do you want to replace your nerfs?"

That's a good point. I like lifetime warranties, but I don't want to spend a lifetime replacing the product.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Had the Westin Oval Extruded Aluminum bars since Oct of 2002 and have recommended them and will buy them again. No powdercoating problems. Lifetime warranty is nice, too.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Tony, I have the Westin Platinum series which are chromed stainless. They are awesome and they have no signs of rusting or fadeing from the harsh CT winters that the truck goes through. You should take a look at the Platinum series while your shopping around, pricey but well worth the money.

·
Registered
7,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
duramax hd said:
Tony, I have the Westin Platinum series which are chromed stainless. They are awesome and they have no signs of rusting or fadeing from the harsh CT winters that the truck goes through. You should take a look at the Platinum series while your shopping around, pricey but well worth the money.

I was quoted $480..........

Have not really looked around for a beter price.

T
NY

·
Registered
434 Posts
Around $480 is what I paid for my Westing Platinum wheel 2 wheel bars. Only had them a couple of months and live in Texas. Not much salt on the roads around D/FW so they should out last me. I think they're sweet lookin'. Time will tell

·
Registered
11 Posts
Advance Auto Parts has the Westin Platinum Series - Crew Cab $399, Extended cab $378. These are the regular nerf bars, I don't know what their price is for the wheel to wheel version. I just ordered mine yesterday.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Hey, all. Take a look at Tube Tech. Had them on my old truck. I went with the Westin Platnum's, on my current truck. I liked the Tube Tech bars better. Had to do a set ASAP, because mother inlaw couldn't get into the truck. (may not have been a bad thing, in hind sight.....)
Westins seem to be holding up well, but the foot pad on drivers side has broke. I seem to step on the outside edge of it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts