Diesel Place banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never even heard of these before Thursday last week. A guy on a camping forum turned me on to them.

Seth McGinn's CanCooker - Cater to your Crowd - Slow Cooker - Crock Pot - Steam Cooker

We were discussing the best "big group" camping meals and he told me how you can feed 15-20 people with one of these, all in one pot with no work, once its loaded and set on the burner. I read up on some recipes on their website and thought it might be just the thing for the 4th of July get together.

I ran up to the local Bass Pro on Thursday night and got one, and the grate you can set in the bottom (its sold separately, but it's a good idea to have one)

So Friday night, I loaded it up with the following (in order of how I put it in the can):

2 quartered onions
5 lbs peeled russet potatoes (cut into 8ths)
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 bag (a pound maybe) of baby carrots
3 lbs Polska Kielbasa
10 ears corn on the cob (broke into halves)
3 lbs Chicken tenderloins, heavily dusted with lemon pepper.
1 stick butter
1 can Budweiser.

Clamped on the lid, put it on my rocket-burner camp stove, and put a penny over the vent hole. When the steam moved the penny, I turned the heat down to medium, and set the time to 1 hour.

Total prep time, about 10 minutes. Total time from "Hey, lets get dinner going" to stuffing my face, about an Hour-20. The aroma while cooking would have to be smelled to be believed. Better than new-car smell. After an hour, I killed the burner and let it cool for about 5 minutes. I dumped the whole mess out in a very large aluminum tray and rang the dinner bell.

The result? OMG! The onions practically liquified in the beer, very soft and translucent. The potatoes and peppers were perfect. Soft and tender, but not 'mushy'. The carrots were good enough that I had quite a few, and I really don't like carrots. The corn was just the way I like it. Very hot and crisp, not overcooked or mushy at all. The Kielbasa was as good as any I have ever had. Well cooked, flavorful and juicy. The chicken was good as well. Of course, you cannot brown chicken in steam. I prefer a bit of brown on my chicken, but the flavor and juicyness were spot on. I had the can about 7/8th full and fed 6 adults, 4 teenagers, and 2 pre-teens, with a quite a bit left over. If you pack it tight (which apparently is OK), I can easily see it feeding 15-20 people

Lessons learned: More green/red peppers. I did not know who all liked peppers. Turns out everyone did, so there wasn't enough. I might try to brown the chicken a bit next time before I put them in. Or maybe afterwards on the grill. I'll have to play with that a bit to see what works. Also... one can of beer is plenty. I was worried that it will all steam off, but there was still enough liquid in the can to put out a good jet of steam from the vent hole even after an hour.

My verdict. Shut up and go get one.

Tim

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I have never heard of a Can Cooker before. Looked at the website, looks very interesting and your write-up sounds great. Keep us in the loop on other recipes you use!!!

-Mark

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Keep us in the loop on other recipes you use!!!

-Mark
I did a second can over the Labor Day holiday. I left out the chicken tenderloins, but dropped in a 3.5 lb beef roast instead. O. M. G. It was spectacular.

I marinated the roast overnight in 1 cup soy sauce, 1 cup Worcestershire sauce, 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar, a tablespoon of brown sugar, and a good dash of Montreal steak seasoning. when it came time to pour in the beer, I added about half the remaining marinade in the bag as well. About the best roast I ever made.

Tim

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
That sounds awesome!!! You are making me drool!!!

·
Registered
8,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I got a Jr. CanCooker for Christmas. I wanted the smaller one for home so I can 'experiment' with different recipes.

My oldest boy was home for college, and had a bunch of friends over on Saturday and he asked me to make something in it for them. I gave the Jr Can a good shakedown cruise with the tried and true potatoes/kielbasa/chicken tenders

The whole house smelled AWESOME with this cooking.

Tim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts