Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I upgraded my Edge and added the Attitude 02/08/04. I was only a few days out from making a two-week Florida run when I got it and was disturbed to find that it was alarming, showing a black screen with a BIG number on it (something like 89864.8) and my engine would not start/run. Unhooking the attitude solved the problem. I called Kennedy and Aaron at Edge, Aaron offered a replacement, but I was literally leaving the next day. He suggested popping open the case and checking that there was no strain on the wires, which I did, hooked it up over the fender and it worked!! Re-ran the wire through the firewall and it didn't work. A lightbulb went on and I ran it over the fender again - no problem. Apparently there was some sort of interference underdash (maybe my Isspro pyro amp down near the firewall grommet?) I ran it through the weatherstrip and out through the fender and it's been that way for nearly 2 years and over 41,000 miles.

Well, last Thursday I go out at "Oh-Dark-Thirty" to go to work and I crank twice with no start. I glance over at the 'Tude and it's buzzing and showing the interference number display! I pop the hood, unplug the Attitude and she cranks right up. Since the hood is open, I go ahead and replug it and drive to work with no problem. This morning, no fire and the Attitude whacko display again. Since it's really snowy and nasty, I don't want to risk a flameout on a dark desert 2-lane and getting rear-ended by a bus so I've unplugged the Attitude and left it that way. Confirmation "blips" show that my Edge has dropped back to level 2 from my setting of level 3 - but that's fine for icy roads.

Looks like it may be time for an A2! (or EFI Live instead!)

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Could the display wire be kinked or flattened, maybe between door and weatherstripping? Sounds like a broken wire.
My memory is faint, but weren't we allowed to use this Edge with the display disconnected? I was thinking it will work, but you would loose out on the highest power level, and I don't remember how you then would change power levels. Maybe it was back to the "press brake peddle three times thing".
Can anyone verify this?

·
Registered
12,262 Posts
Yes

You use the ign off but in run,shift lever level of HP level and throttle to the floor,confirmation comes by motor blips.
I know you lose a level but unsure of which.

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No pinched wires, I'm pulling the Attitude and seeing if Edge can help me out. Yep, can still set the chip "manually" with the throttle dance, but it resets the oil minder too and you can't go to level 5. Still running around in level 2 with no Attitude. My EFI Live commerical is arriving in a couple of days, so I'll probably be pulling the Edge soon too (and plugging my driver's manifold since I have Isspro's on the A-pillar).

·
Registered
772 Posts
Tom, the oil life minder takes three taps on the peddle to reset. The Juice only takes two.

TC

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, thanks for that info! I've always hit the go pedal four or five times for both (seems like you HAVE TO to clear the dang oil minder!) Good to know, I'll try a "twofer" and see if I can get my Juice back up to level 3!!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Hope it works. The one problem I had with my Juice was that it wouldn't respond to any number of taps. But since Edge replaced it two is all it takes.

TC

·
Registered
6,504 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, push come to shove, I could always reconnect the Attitude in warmer condtions (it seemed to go South due to very cold temps and I only had problems with morning starts at "Oh-Dark-Thirty" in very cold conditions) and set it to level 4 and unplug. I'm not really bothered by level 2 versus level 3, those are the only levels I've used on the Edge anyway, level 2 when towing and level 3 the rest of the time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts