Diesel Place banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not that this comes as a suprise to anyone, but I stumbled across this on alldata earlier regarding custom tuning, etc. Good thing we all don't give a rip what GM says! :D

Bulletin No.: 06-06-01-007
Date: April 04, 2006
INFORMATION
Subject:
Information On Identifying Duramax(TM) Diesel LB7, LLY, LBZ Overpower Engine Breakdown or Non-Function Due to Aftermarket Power-Up Devices vs. Non Overpower Engine Non-Function of Pistons, Cylinders, and Valvetrain Components
Models:
2001-2006 Chevrolet Express, Silverado
2003-2006 Chevrolet Kodiak
2001-2006 GMC Savana, Sierra
2003-2006 GMC TopKick
with Duramax(TM) 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel Engine (VINs 1, 2, D - RPOs LB7, LLY, LBZ)
General Motors Position On Aftermarket Power-Up Devices
Important: General Motors does not support or endorse the use of devices or modifications that, when installed, increase the engine horsepower and torque. Refer to bulletin number 04-06-04-054 - Warranty Admin. - Non-GM Parts and Accessories (Aftermarket).
Important: For further information on aftermarket power-up kits, refer to February 2006 Emerging Issues Course Number 10206.02D. In Canada, information on aftermarket power-up kits will be covered in the April 2006 TAC TALK program.
Aftermarket power-up devices are non-approved by General Motors. These devices are usually piggy-backed in the main engine harness or remain connected to the diagnostic connector to upload the calibration to the ECM. Recent warranty reviews of returned engines show engine breakdown or non-function due to power-up devices that are utilized for increased horsepower and torque. The following information will assist technicians in identifying overpower engine breakdown or non-function due to aftermarket power-up devices vs. non overpower engine breakdown or non-function.
Non-GM parts can alter the design of the vehicle. GM dealers need to be aware of the quality of parts being installed on vehicles. If failure occurs as a result of installation of sub-par parts, warranty coverage may be denied. Refer to Service Bulletin Number 04-06-04-054 Warranty Admin. -Non-GM Parts and Accessories (Aftermarket).
Installed Power-Up Kit
Aftermarket power-up kits have become a very popular add on for performance-minded customers. These devices can add horsepower and torque and can add additional stress to the engine. These aftermarket calibrations take the Duramax(TM) powertrain outside of its design torque and horsepower rating. They do this by altering air/fuel ratios and injector timing, resulting in excessive cylinder pressure and temperature. When these calibrated parameters are altered, it will upset the design balance and can lead to a reduction of engine life expectancy. Generally, in inspection of Duramax(TM) engine failure due to power-up failures, two or more cylinders will be affected.
Installed Power-Up Kit
^Once installed, the calibration may mask itself with the factory original calibration ID and may remain the same.
^A Tech 2(R) will not positively enable you to identify the use of a power up device.
^Some companies that offer power-up devices claim increases of 150 or more horsepower and 300 or more lb/ft pounds of torque.
^A vehicle that is used to the power-up device potential 100% of the time will see earlier engine wear and breakdown.
^A vehicle that takes advantage of additional power, but on a less frequent basis, may not see premature engine wear and breakdown until later in the engine's life.
^A vehicle not pushed to its limits of the power-up device often may not encounter premature wear and breakdown until after the engine is out of warranty.
Duramax(TM) Powertrain Horsepower / Torque Ratings
The following horsepower and torque increase over the past years required new internal components to accommodate the increase.
^LB7 - 300 hp with 520 ft/lb of torque for model years 2000-2004
^LLY - 310 hp with 605 ft/lb of torque for model years 2004-2006
^LBZ - 360 hp with 650 ft/lb of torque for model year 2006
LBZ Improvements
To reliably achieve an increase in 50 horsepower with 45 ft/lb torque, the Duramax(TM) diesel had to be revised in many areas. A few of the revisions on the 2006
LBZ were:
^New pistons with a revised compression ratio.
^Wrist pins that are larger in diameter.
^Connecting rods with added material to increase the I section strength.
^Engine block and machining changes.
^Cylinder heads.
Duramax(TM) Life Expectancy
The Duramax(TM) 6.6L V8 Turbo Diesel Engine is sold with a warranty of 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers. The Duramax(TM) has been tested to survive upwards of 200,000 miles/320,000 kilometers. The Duramax(TM) powertrain is designed for reliability, peak horsepower and torque within its design limits. When a customer installs a power-up device, it drastically reduces the mileage ratings.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Here are a few examples listed to detect failures as a result of aforementioned "Power-up" devices...

Important: Cylinder Wall Spotting (commonly referred to leopard spots) is from the induction hardening process of the top 1/3 of the cylinder wall. This is normal for the Duramax(TM) Diesel.

Identifying Overpower Engine Premature Wear and Breakdown

When premature wear and breakdown is encountered due to an aftermarket power-up device, it has some very specific characteristics to the internal engine components. The following list will assist in identifying these characteristics as you tear down the engine.

^Pistons will be cracked in the lip area, or a hole in the pistons.

^ Pistons can also be melted on the lip of the combustion bowl, or the top of the pistons can be melted.

^ Crosshatch will be polished off the cylinder wall in the major thrust face of cylinder below ring belt travel.

^ Piston pin bore will show signs of scoring, the wrist pins will be discolored, and can have oil coking on them. The connecting rod bushing surface will have accelerated wear. The above graphic illustration shows connecting rod bushing.

^ Oil coking on the underside of the piston between the wrist pin bosses.

^ Signs of bearing fretting will also be noticed on the connecting rod and main bearing caps. Refer to the above graphic illustration for fretting of main bearing cap 1 and back side of connection rod bearing 2.

^ Excessive heat in engine compartment caused by overpower device. Refer to above graphic illustration 1.

Non Overpower Engine Premature Wear and Breakdown

The following pictures show results of overheat, overspeed, low/no oil pressure or injector breakdown and how they differ from aftermarket power-up device premature wear and breakdown.

Engine Overheat

Overheat can be caused by a loss of coolant or a general cooling system failure. Some of the indicators of overheat are:

^ Melted pistons.

^ Head gasket breakdown or non-function.

^ Warped cylinder heads.

^ Crankshaft and connecting rod discolored.

Engine Overspeed Causes

If an engine has been run faster that design capability (redline), and has caused damaged as a result, it may be a result of one of the following conditions:

^ Leaking or failed turbo oil seals.

^ Oil evident in the intake runners and compressor side of the turbo.

^ Starting fluid use or alterative fuel added to the engine such as ether.

Engine Overspeed Results

The illustrations shown are indicators that an overspeed event took place:

Lack of Oil Pressure

Lack of lubrication causes rapid bearing wear or bearing to seize.

Engine Premature Wear and Breakdown Due to Improper Function of Fuel Injector

A fuel injector may fracture a piston or melt a piston but the damage will be limited to that cylinder only and all other pistons and cylinder walls are OK. In some cases hydraulic lock will occur on the suspected cylinder with an over-fueling fuel injector. Hydraulic lock on the suspected cylinder will cause a bent connecting rod. This can be verified with piston protrusion measurements.

Important: Copy aftermarket power-up kit check list when performing an engine disassembly investigation of overpower engine breakdown or non-function.

Aftermarket Power-Up Kit Check List

1. Piston cracked parallel to wrist pin.

^ Piston cracked in lip area.

^ Hole in piston connecting top of piston to oil cooling channel.

2. Melted Pistons.

^ Lip of combustion bowl melted.

^ Top of piston melted / missing.

3. Cross hatching polished off cylinder wall. Cylinder wall missing crosshatch on major thrust face of cylinder below ring belt travel.

4. Piston pin bore, Wrist pin, and Rod bushing.

^ Scoring in upper piston pin boss/black discoloration/oil coking.

^ Wrist Pin Wear.

^ Rod bushing surface worn and discolored.

5. Carbon coking to underside of piston.

^ Discoloration of underside of Piston.

^ Discoloration and carbon coking buildup on underside of piston between piston pin bosses.

6. Accelerated rod / Main Bearing wear.

^ Fretting on backside of bearing.

^ Bearing surface distressed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I realize this may be a welcome to last week type thing, but for those who haven't seen it, hope it helps.
That being said, HP Tuners I'm ready to void my warranty! LOL!!!

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
WTH......:eek: I had better take my tuner off or at least go down a notch or two. I need my truck to survive at least 500k miles.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
sounds like gm has no balls. like you said no surprise

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
I like how it says that it "may" void the warranty. Basically that means that they can't prove crap, but will try as hard as they can. Upwards of 150hp---if they only knew :D .

·
Registered
403 Posts
Can't fault GM for this kind of thinking. If it were your company and you built this product.........would you do the same thing or would you leave yourself wide open to warranty work caused by excessive modification? If they didn't adopt this mentality and just offered warranty on these things regardless..........you and i would not be able to afford these trucks simply due to having to charge a price far above what they do now to cover things like this. People that expect, and get away with, tearing their truck up and hiding things to get warranty coverage is driving up the cost everyone pays..........much in the same way crack dealing welfare people drives up taxes you and i pay.

·
Premium Member
20,561 Posts
This has been posted dozens of times before.

Note the "TECH 2 CANT POSITIVELY IDENTIFY..." part ;)

If you are smart there will be no problems.

·
Diesel Master, Formerly goth2o
5,510 Posts
honeybearz;1759527; said:
Can't fault GM for this kind of thinking. If it were your company and you built this product.........would you do the same thing or would you leave yourself wide open to warranty work caused by excessive modification? If they didn't adopt this mentality and just offered warranty on these things regardless..........you and i would not be able to afford these trucks simply due to having to charge a price far above what they do now to cover things like this. People that expect, and get away with, tearing their truck up and hiding things to get warranty coverage is driving up the cost everyone pays..........much in the same way crack dealing welfare people drives up taxes you and i pay.

True, but how often are these trucks having serious problems under warranty due to tuners? The bulletin focuses on long term wear. It's meant to have dealers void the warranty if they see signs of upgrades. That way they can blame anything that happens on the upgrades. That's a load of crap. It's all for the dealer to decide. If they question it or say no, that's it. LB7 injectors are warranted for 200K on 01-03's. I didn't know that until this site told me. I didn't receive a bulletin or extended warranty info from GM. Is that GM being honest???? I think not. My 01 was in for repair and needed injectors. I had to tell the dealer this. They didn't fix them, a local diesel shop did. After they found the bulletin, then I got a credit. Yes, I'm happy they complied, but If I didn't do the research, I'd have paid nearly $4K for something that is a GM defect.

Now for 01 LB7 head gaskets. Another GM defect that is 100% a problem with electrolosis due to long term wear. Mine went the day I put a tuner on @196K. All stock until that day. Yes, it was my mistake. No, they wouldn't have warranted them anyway, but what do you think the dealer blamed? They wouldn't touch it and I was paying for it! What does anyone in their right mind think? Yes, the tuner helped, but there was an existing GM (Isuzu) problem that made it happen that day. The gaskets were so weak to the point of failure. Head gaskets on a Duramax can hold unbelievable amounts of pressure. A small 75 hp tune would not make a good set set blow-no matter how many miles. There are tuned trucks with 300k + that have bottom end failures long before head problems.

I am hoping for the day that GM posts a bulletin for HG failures on 01's and ups the warranty to 200K. I'll jump all over that one. Am I being dishonest? I don't think so-maybe you do. The diesel shop said that if it didn't happen with the tuner, I would be expecting it any time. The entire insides of the gaskets electrolosized. There was no saying where the exhaust/coolant passed through. I paid $4,800 for that job that the dealer (of whom I had connections) sent me away. I'll gladly accept a check from them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.