Diesel Place banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well a few weekends ago we had a nasty whiteout snowfall. Most of it had gone north, but in about 3 hours we got 6 inches of snow. Then the weather went from the mid 30s to single digit and 10 below zero for temps.

Well the following day when I went to work I shut down the truck and it just 'shuddered'. Think of how a dog dries it itself after getting out of the water. That's pretty much the feeling I had. At first I thought a motor mount was busted, then I figured it's probably snow buildup. So that night I pulled into the garage and hit the heater. It wouldn't bring the temps much over 40 with the winds and cold so just enought to melt the snow on the roof and chassis(or so I thought).

Well for the following the week the temps rose, and the shudder had gone completely away. However now everytime I slowed down I got this loud buzzing vibration. It sounded like a loose exhaust with a broken hanger. Nope I checked it twice, and couldn't find a bad spot(always the passenger side). The next day on the way into work it was horrible. Only during slowing down, so I thought maybe it was the skid plate had come loose. Like everyone else, I was getting worried and frustrated and couldn't find the source of the noise.

Pulled into work one morning, climbed under the driver side and look what I found.

In my almost 37 years of living in Wisconsin, this is the first time I've ever seen an iceball form around a cable like this. It doesn't quite touch the trans support except when at idle and the motor is vibrating the cable will flex enough to allow it touch the rail.

Just thought it was a weird enough occurence to share and let everyone know to always look for the simple things first.

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
The same thing happened to me 3 weeks ago, and it just went away, butthe same thing happened , it started right after a big snowfall, at least the next time it happens i will know how to get rid of it right away! thanks for letting us know!
Curry

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Frustrating untill you find it. I relief when you do.

Something I wouldn't have thought of.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts