Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out the ratings for the 08' crew cab 4x4 dually. The literature does not give a weight rating of the vehicle, but what I've found in the internet seems to be an empty weight of roughly 6,700. The GVWR is 11,400 so that leaves 4700 for payload, people and misc. items? The trucks payload rating is 4706 so if you max the payload how can someone then get in with some misc. tools and a friend and drive it legally? Also, what is the GCWR. I can't really find that either. I'm guessing 15,900. So that would leave 6700 for vehicle, 4700 max payload, 700 pounds (two people, misc. stuff) and 3,800 trailering weight? I might seem crazy with these numbers, but could someone clarify for me. I'm going to be carrying a Truck Camper that weighs around 4,100, pulling a boat that weighs around 4,100 and carrying another 1,000 of misc. weight. Thanks in advance for the responses!

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
No the GCWR is 23,000K or so and that mean you can trailer up to 16,000lb's

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Look in the owner's manual.

The GVWR is 11,400, the GCWR is 23,500. To find the empty weight of your truck, get the cargo capacity from the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left rear door post and subtract it from the GVWR. The tow rating for a 4x4 CC (with the D/A) is 15,900...for a 5th wheel.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Payload rating is what is left after subtracting the truck's weight from GVWR. Everything that goes into the truck counts against the payload - the weight of the driver, friends, tools, etc.

"Max Tow Rating" IMHO is a useless number. If you fill a crew cab with a bunch of tools, fat arse buddies, etc, you may not have enough 'payload' left to carry the pin weight (or tongue weight) to get up to the Max tow rating. This is much more of a problem on ¾ ton trucks - especially Crew Cab, 4X4 diesels. Even if the truck only has 1 person in it, you only have a certain amount of payload left to carry pin or tongue weight.

I have a 37’ triple slide 5th wheel. I am running with about 2700 lbs of 5er pin weight. Loaded to camp with my wife, son, the dogs, full fuel tank, etc, I am a few hundred pounds under the GVWR, right at the front axle rating, no where the rear axle rating, and about 1500 pounds under the Gross Combined rating.

Before the 5th wheel, we towed a 28’ Travel trailer with a ½ ton Suburban. It had a Max Tow of 7400 lbs. There is no way our Burb (with us in it) could have ‘legally’ towed 7400 pounds. GVWR and Rear axle rating was shot at 6000 pounds.

By ‘legal’ I mean not exceeding ANY of the ratings listed for your truck. Front axle rating plus rear axle rating usually equals considerably more than the GVWR

When I went shopping for a truck to pull the 5th wheel we intended to buy, I wanted to be sure I would be under ALL ratings –Tires, Axles, GVWR, and GCWR. Right, wrong or indifferent – this was I chose to do.

Plenty of people tow 5th wheels ¾ ton trucks. I would bet many are exceeding GVWR or other ratings. A guy near me has a toy hauler that weighs a LOT more than mine. He uses a ¾ Chevy. I would not do that, but that is just me.

·
Registered
916 Posts
YA I see a lot of guys who overload their 2500 , I sometimes wonder about the legality of it if they got into an accident and if the insurance could reject the claim ?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
YA I see a lot of guys who overload their 2500 , I sometimes wonder about the legality of it if they got into an accident and if the insurance could reject the claim ?
If I was in that situation, I'd worry about the insurance paying, but worry more about getting sued.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
If I was in that situation, I'd worry about the insurance paying, but worry more about getting sued.
That's exactly why I now drive a dually. I pulled my trailer with my '05 CC SB SRW 4X4 for a year and the truck did quite well but the above mentioned items were always on my mind until I decided it's just not worth it. I love my dually now and wonder why I ever fought it. :D

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
or...
you can do what i did and go to the DVM and for 33 bucks get a commercial plate, and have dot inspect youre truck. My new legal GWVR, GCWR, GAWR's are now as follows: 11,600, 23,000, 4800(front) and 6800(rear) my weakest link now is my rims which are 3300lbs ea. with my limit is now 6600lbs gross for the rear axel. but now i know im legal.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
or...
you can do what i did and go to the DVM and for 33 bucks get a commercial plate, and have dot inspect youre truck. My new legal GWVR, GCWR, GAWR's are now as follows: 11,600, 23,000, 4800(front) and 6800(rear) my weakest link now is my rims which are 3300lbs ea. with my limit is now 6600lbs gross for the rear axel. but now i know im legal.
Details please...
How do they determine those numbers? I'd love to get my re-evaluated since I'm running 19.5's with "F" rated tires now...
Drawbacks? Do you have to have a CDL now to drive your truck?!?! Insurance?

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
Details please...
How do they determine those numbers? I'd love to get my re-evaluated since I'm running 19.5's with "F" rated tires now...
Drawbacks? Do you have to have a CDL now to drive your truck?!?! Insurance?
"MALIBU" helped me with some of the numbers, but as far as drawbacks, im now commercial so i have to stop and get weighed along with the other mother truckers. No cdl is what dot and dvm told me. i told dot that i wanted to increase gvwr to 11,600 and he said that "we can most likely do that" cost me 33 bucks for a new plate and dot fees.

blksmk whats your tire and rim capacities? they got mine from what my tires minus rims were

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
My aluminum rims are 2600 ea. and tires are 3860 per tire dual or 4080 per tire single.
I don't know what my inner steels on the rear duals are but I would imagine more than the aluminum.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
My aluminum rims are 2600 ea. and tires are 3860 per tire dual or 4080 per tire single.
I don't know what my inner steels on the rear duals are but I would imagine more than the aluminum.
my rims were 3300 ea. but the tires were 3850 ea. they had to rate off of the rims.

·
Registered
7 Posts
4,706 as a payload number? Did you get that from the glove box camper rating? If so this is a big improvement over the 2006 CrewCab Dura\Ally model I last checked. That trucks camper rating was below 4,000 lbs. I would recommend double checking the number on the sticker in the glove box. While I guess 6,700 lbs dry weight for the truck could be correct. My 02 reg cab 8.1\Ally was listed as a dry weight of 5,990 lbs. I would have thought both the diesel and extra sheet metal would have weighed more than 710 lbs.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
4,706 as a payload number? Did you get that from the glove box camper rating? If so this is a big improvement over the 2006 CrewCab Dura\Ally model I last checked. That trucks camper rating was below 4,000 lbs. I would recommend double checking the number on the sticker in the glove box. While I guess 6,700 lbs dry weight for the truck could be correct. My 02 reg cab 8.1\Ally was listed as a dry weight of 5,990 lbs. I would have thought both the diesel and extra sheet metal would have weighed more than 710 lbs.
I think that cargo capacity of 4706 is either off the glove box sticker, (which is NOT the true cargo capacity, it has to do with slide in campers) or is incorrect. My truck (CC D/A 2wd) has a capacity of 4257 off the sticker on the left rear door post...Tire and Loading Information...that's the sticker you need to use.

·
Registered
6,810 Posts
i would go off the lowest rated componate.
2600lb rims x4 is 10,400 for the rims on the rear axle.
rear spring cap is 8200 plus a 1000lb for the wheels and axle itself in shear weight gives tottal 9200lb.
IMO there is no point an going over unless you run heavier springs or go air springs. your std air bags(air lift, firestone etc) dont cut it for increasing capacity you will have to get semi grade bags 10" dia bag or bigger to get it kinda like a kelderman air ride setup ;)

for your dually the rear spings is the limit on how much you can put in the bed....you will flatten the springs before you come close to maxing the tires. even 9200 gross axle rating plus the 4800 in the front will net 14,000 GVW and possible 25,000-26,000 GCVW

like i told honda if DOT says yes everything is copasetic and in good working order for the weight rating who is to tell you no? DOT has the finaly legal say and is the governing body over such matters

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I think that cargo capacity of 4706 is either off the glove box sticker, (which is NOT the true cargo capacity, it has to do with slide in campers) or is incorrect. My truck (CC D/A 2wd) has a capacity of 4257 off the sticker on the left rear door post...Tire and Loading Information...that's the sticker you need to use.
well now that i have a higher gvwr, i do not use the tire and loading info anymore.

·
Registered
814 Posts
well now that i have a higher gvwr, i do not use the tire and loading info anymore.
I've never heard of such a thing, I would think your truck is stuck at a 9200 GVWR no matter what you do to it. I don't think the GVWR can be altered. If you feel the need to "alter" a GVWR of a power unit, you need a bigger power unit.

or...you can do what i did and go to the DMV and for 33 bucks get a commercial plate, and have dot inspect your truck. My new legal GWVR, GCWR, GAWR's are now as follows: 11,600, 23,000, 4800(front) and 6800(rear) my weakest link now is my rims which are 3300lbs ea. with my limit is now 6600lbs gross for the rear axel. but now i know im legal.
Don't get license plate ratings get you confused. You can put a higher rating on your license plates, and it doesn't make your truck capable of it. Most states will gladly take the extra money for plates if you desire. You can get an 80,000 lb apportioned license plate for your 3/4 ton, but it will cost around $1800. :) We ran apportioned tags at 34,000 on our 06 dually LBZ. We usually weighed in around 26,000-29,000 with a full load on a 3 car trailer, but didn't feel comfortable with the 30,000 plate so we paid extra for 34,000. (Ohio does 4,000 increments, starting at 6000, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, etc)

Does your DOT inspection indicate that they have revised your GVWR? Usually a DOT inspection just indicates that everything is in working order.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
I've never heard of such a thing, I would think your truck is stuck at a 9200 GVWR no matter what you do to it. I don't think the GVWR can be altered. If you feel the need to "alter" a GVWR of a power unit, you need a bigger power unit.

Don't get license plate ratings get you confused. You can put a higher rating on your license plates, and it doesn't make your truck capable of it. Most states will gladly take the extra money for plates if you desire. You can get an 80,000 lb apportioned license plate for your 3/4 ton, but it will cost around $1800. :) We ran apportioned tags at 34,000 on our 06 dually LBZ. We usually weighed in around 26,000-29,000 with a full load on a 3 car trailer, but didn't feel comfortable with the 30,000 plate so we paid extra for 34,000. (Ohio does 4,000 increments, starting at 6000, 10, 14, 18, 22, 26, 30, etc)

Does your DOT inspection indicate that they have revised your GVWR? Usually a DOT inspection just indicates that everything is in working order.
at least in arizona, the dot man told me that he couldnt change my GVWR if i had stock tires leafs etc. Because i do have higher capicity rims and tires, a add a leaf, and air bags, he based all the numbers on those components. he had a fancy diddley calculator that he used to make the new GAWR's and GVWR. and Yes it can be done, just gotta talk to the right people and go to the right places.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts