Diesel Place banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the most weight you would feel comfortable towing with a dually, 4x4. Tri axle equipment trailer, skid steer, tools bails of wire that weigh about 1800lbs. Anyone??? Debating if I would be better off with a manual trans. THanks

·
Registered
260 Posts
GCVWR on both the stick and the automatic are the same in '06. I don't think there is a stick available in '07 anyway. My experience with a ZF-6 manual in a Ford soured me on them pretty quick. I would have zero issues trusting the Allison auto. I bought my truck to bumper tow 10,000# plus equipment (change out the stock hitch) and I had no qualms about choosing the proven Allison.

What is the most weight you would feel comfortable towing with a dually, 4x4.
16,000# ;)..that's what Chevy recommends.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
The Ally will be fine with the weight you're planning.The weak link is the stock receiver--get the beefiest Class V one available and you'll be fine.

·
Gone but not forgotten member!
14,325 Posts
I do not believe there is a weight limit on the Allison trans but there is a limit on the parking pall. Machinator will probably answer this one best.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Machinator;1633395; said:
Allison's good up to 30K. Your truck will break before the transmission.
are you talking about combined weight, truck + trailer, or a 30K loaded trailer?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The weak link is the stock receiver--get the beefiest Class V one available and you'll be fine.
Amen... anyone want to buy a stock hitch that's never been used? I changed mine as soon as the truck made it home.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I thought the pawl was rated at was 26K?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Guess its time to update myself...again.. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.