Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on the fence as to if I should purchase a Weight Distribution hitch or not. I'm going on a trip (about 7 hours) with my 24' H&H car hauler and I've got it loaded and I took a test drive and here's my current observations: total weight of the trailer is going to be approximately 8,000 lbs. It's loaded evenly throughout. The truck/trailer sits pretty near level. the back end of the truck is 2-3" squatted. Trailer is pretty much level. When I hit bumps on the highway, I get the bounce a little bit (at 65 mph). Plus, I'll have 4 passengers that aren't accounted for yet. WHat do you think?

THis link has the picture if you need a visual.

http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43036

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Probably be OK. If you had a smaller truck I'd say yes, but that combo should be fine. On a bumper pull, I've pulled tractors, trucks (CC D'max's) and many other things. I never even concidered a WD hitch untill I bought my TT (8000# dry, 12000# fully loaded) and only use it when pulling the TT.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Probably be OK. If you had a smaller truck I'd say yes, but that combo should be fine. On a bumper pull, I've pulled tractors, trucks (CC D'max's) and many other things. I never even concidered a WD hitch untill I bought my TT (8000# dry, 12000# fully loaded) and only use it when pulling the TT.
WOuld you run a sway control on this same setup?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Equal-i-zer Hitch

When buying our (previous) 27ft Sunline travel trailer (6-7k loaded) to go with our (previous) F-150, I did a bunch of research on http://www.rv.net and decided that weight distribution and anti-sway was a MUST. With a HD truck and some air bags, you might not need the weight distribution... but I would still be concerned about sway (I've read too many horror stories, and have seen it enough times on the road).

Options:

1) Hensley Arrow Hitch. Will eliminate all sway, but is VERY expensive $2500-$3000. Way to much IMO.

2) Reese Hitch w/sway bar. Can pick one up anywhere, work well, but not best bang for the buck.

3) Equalizer Hitch. Best option IMO. http://www.equalizerhitch.com. Provides weight distribution and excellent anti-sway (no sway 99.9% of the time, and barely noticable sway under the WORST conditions... for example, 50MPH winds across the AZ dessert). Installation is fairly simple, hitching/unhitching is very easy/simple, and no creeking noise since they started using teflon pads on the brackets. Was never dissapointed with this hitch travelling over 15k miles. We bought ours from RV Wholesalers: http://rvwholesalers.com They are currently selling them for $399 with free shipping. --Paul.

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
Pulling my TT with my old setup WD hitch (E-Z Lift) it took 2 sway bars to keep it kind of steady. Then I bought an Equil-I-Zer WD setup, totaly different. The anti-sway is built into the WD bar system, 110% better than the old setup and absolutly no sway and total control at all times. The only one better is the Hensley Arrow, but I'm not paying $3500 for a WD hitch.

·
Registered
500 Posts
You may not need a WD hitch for WD, but you might for sway. I don't know what kind of WD hitch you have, but I have a Reese WD hitch. I bought a set of HP dual cam sway controllers ($264 approximately) to hook up to our TT. It weighs in at about 11K loaded but has a tongue weight of 750 lbs (depending on interior weight distribution). I found I didn't need the WD hitch for "sag" reasons, though I did need it for TT weight hauling reasons. The sway cams made a huge difference - making the truck/TT feel and drive like one unit, especially with crosswinds. 18-wheelers didn't bother it since it was more like driving a 18K # vehicle vs a 7K vehicle with an 11K vehicle along for the ride.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
You'll probably be okay, but when in doubt, do it.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I ran the WD on my 28' car hauler and didn't see a difference. Truck really sagged in the back so I ended up putting an airbag system in.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I ran the WD on my 28' car hauler and didn't see a difference. Truck really sagged in the back so I ended up putting an airbag system in.
Hitch wasn't adjusted correctly.

Jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here's my .02 cents... I have pulled a TT for a number of years and would not pull one without an equalizer hitch with an anti-sway bar system. Why? For the safety of myself, my passengers, other drivers, my TT and my Dmax.

·
Registered
800 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
My camper is only a 27ftr and I run full hitch set-up withe sway bar....tows that much nicer,just feels better goin' down the road, no bounce,no sway, wind doesn't bother me. Kind of a pain in the butt for backing it up and all,but very worth it to me

·
Registered
311 Posts
My .02. Weight dist, not an absolute necessity but it will aid in ride quality. Sway control, how much value do you place on your life and the lives of your passengers ? Four years ago, my aunt and uncle were pulling a medium size TT between Cadillac and Grand Rapids, MI. They topped a hill with a curve and the TT started swaying and got the better of the truck. The whole rig flipped on its side at highway speed, killed the uncle, not a scratch (physically) on the aunt. MSP determined improper adjustment of sway control (too loose). Sway control is very necessary, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your input everyone. The shop has my trailer and I'll GET IT this afternoon. WD hitch, sway control and mirror extensions. My thoughts were this:
PROS: 1)The safety of the passengers. 2)I want to cruise 70+ mph and don't want to worry about controling the rig. 3)Don't want to let the Ferd pulling the other trailer pass me. 4)Spend a good bundle on the Truck, trailer, snowmobile and the insurance company already doesn't like me. 5)everyone would be pretty pi$$ed if their sleds got messed up/ruined their vacation.

CONS: 1)Spending money on things that don't look cool and aren't used frequently. 2)I didn't want to spend the money. 3)Having the trailer bounce off of the side of my truck. 4)letting the fords and dodges go by (while giving me the finger) 5)Submitting another insurance claim 6)going back to the hospital

·
Registered
500 Posts
So let's see:

Sway control - around $250
WD - $500 - $3000
Flipping off the Ferds and Duds - priceless

Is that close? :D

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Dont forget that running a WD hitch will also aid in braking. The WD will transfer weight to the front wheels, even with ABS it still helps to have the weight balance of a WD hitch.
I think some states require them over 5000# trailer.

Scott

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
So let's see:

WD - $500 - $3000

:funnypost You beat me to it.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So let's see:

WD - $500 - $3000

:funnypost That's pretty funny. I needed that!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hmm...

A lot of the construction trailers I see do not have WD hitches. I wonder if the sway is caused by the tall trailers with long sides catching wind? I will be pulling a Case 440 Skidsteer - dry weight around 6k# + trailer 2k#. My company uses Ford F350 v10 gassers to pull skidsteer, 2k# steel, trailer and bed full of stuff with no problems.

A month or so ago I was pulling 6k# worth of steel that was a little far back on the trailer and the trailer sway scared the he11 out of me. Definately dont wont to go there with the new truck. The problem was 20' steel doesn't sit well on an 18' trailer. My new trailer will be 20' so I don't see that being a problem again. The loader is easier to deal with since I can park it on the trailer where ever I want. I'm thinking if the truck squats a couple of inches that should be enough tongue weight.

Your thoughts would be appreciated...

·
Commissioner Gordon
5,139 Posts
I never had a problem with sway until I pulled my TT. A 10' wall is one he!! of a wind catcher.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts