Diesel Place banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a toolbox for my new truck and the weatherguard box's have caught my eye. Specifially the model 127 aluminum saddle box. They look to be well made boxes. Are they worth the extra money over say a husky box from homedepot or a crafstman box in terms of construction and how long they'll last? I haven't gotten a chance to look at any of these boxes up close yet. Just pics on the internet and trucks driving bye.

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
They are the beast available. I have used them for years and never an
issue. They are pricey but you get what you pay for. I have a black
aluminum cross box, was around $650. It is the large size

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well over the years I've learned that it's cheaper to buy the expensive stuff in the long run because it generally lasts so much longer than the cheap stuff. The guys around here have the box I'm looking for for around $500. it's not the big one though, it's 20" wide.

Good to hear that they are some of the best out there though.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You can't go wrong with Weatehrguard toolboxes. They are top quality toolbox manufacturer. I have two of side mounted toolboxes and love them. Open and close very easily, thus very secure with red weather lock. Alot of people have them too.

Only problem is when it is very cold (usually 10F and below) for a long period of time, the gas shocks does not function fully so it makes horrible sounds when opening but there's nothing you can do about them. All other toolboxes shocks do the same things too. Edited by: wxmn6

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just a suggestion. If you are going to use your toolboxes a bunch like I use mine for tools and supplies. I work road construction so I'm in mine all the time. I had a cross box but then went to side boxes. I love the side boxes much better for the fact you don't lose as much bed space and you don't have to get up in the back of the truck to get to the bottom of you cross box. Just a suggestion to keep in mind when getting some.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Yep, that's why I got the side toolboxes. Easier to get into plus it doesn't take up much bed space. Still can slide in full sheets of plywood.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I've had the mid-size cross box and really liked them. Although...I had two problems.... some tools/gear were just to big to fit. Try fitting your recharging Boshe or DeWalt tools in one of those..... big problem or a small suitcase. The other problem I had was removing to tools. I seemed to have developed the best way to scratch the hell out of my truck.
Ohyeah, my 4-wheeler would not fit in the back.
So I went back to the crossbox. I have had the 111 and the 117 and both are GREAT! The 117 is about the best box, overall. The 111 can be a PIA but it is BIG and ROOMY and weighs a 105lbs....... empty.
One thing that I really like about the boxes is that they are just a little shallow...sort'a. You can always find your stuff in the bottom. It's not soo deep that you loose your tools. And, you can still stack about 8+ sheets of 1" plywood in under the toolbox.
After that, you're just over the tailgate a smige. LOL

WeatherGuard is one of, if not, the best toolbox out.

If it's cold or not.......try not to force the box open, just help it open. Forcing the box to open will kill the shocks.

Burner----------------->

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys this pretty much sealed the deal for me with the weatherguard. Now just gotta wait till monday since the only dealers around here that I've been able to find aren't open on the weekend.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
HAha, so you slam it down and it opens back up? Sounds like the box is mocking you...slam my lid and see what you get!
hahaha

But really thanks for the info, I'd probably have done that and gone "huh...stupid POS that everyone said is supposed to be the best"

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The weatherGuard has a great seal. The problem arises when the air relief holes are blocked. The box tends to seal pretty tight, slamming it increases the air pressure within it...making it not want to shut. The locks are very roebust and need some pressure to lock. You'll see a lot of boxes that are only 1/2 way shut, only one lock is latched, from people trying to "slam" the box closed.

Burner------------>

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahh, it all makes sense now. Sounds like a minor inconvenience for someone who lives in the pacific northwest. Can you get it shut from just pushing down on one side of the truck? Also does it require pushing both lock latches in to open or will one latch actuate both sides?Edited by: WAskier

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
The locks are ambidextrous, you can open the box from either side. You can also lock one side of the box and leave the other open. Doing that will let you in from the un-locked side. 10" off the corner and some pressue will or should lock both locks on any of the toolboxes. The "big" box will take more effort, due to the torsion effect from such a large lid. It sure is nice using your elbow on the push-lock button to open the box. I've had to do the many times with dirty hands.

Warning...... never, never, ever use acid cleaner to wash the box. These boxes are coated and will clean up with just soap and water. The box will shine for many years if you wash it with the same stuff you wash your truck with.

Burner-------------->

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Awesome, thanks for all the help Burner! I can't wait till tommorow when I can go buy one

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
From what I saw at my dealer, I went with a Payload toolbox - I believe it is manufactured by Delta. It was far more rugged in construction, with the box made from a single piece of heavier gauge aluminum - no folds or welds to break in the bottom. Much more rugged stiffeners in both lid and bottom. Oh, and REAL handles / latches. I'll take a stainless paddle handle over that dinky red push button any day.

Either way, their seems to be nothing but good feedback for the weatherguard. I just thought the construction / features of the Payload were FAR Superior...

Ty

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Those deltas are nice looking too but I'm gonna have a tonneau cover of some sort on it so I like the idea of being able to open it from the side. And the latch mechanism might get blocked by the tonneau too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Weatherguard all the way!

I have the big/deep box with the 1 pc lid. 3 years old and still popping open as new. Money well spent!

black boxes look good and dont show the dents like my silver though. Just an Idea

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the big cross box and 2 side boxes (WeatherGuard) in black.Never even considered another brand,used them before and will buy them again.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hmm, too late on the black box idea. I picked up my very own model 127 box yesterday and it's awesome
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I had one little problem mounting the box though with it pushed all the way towards the cab the J hooks on the forward (towards the cab) holes didn't have anything to go into so I turned them forward and put them into the lip on the front of the box. This puts them at a really crappy angle. Anyone have any suggestions for this? Will it hurt the box at all? Maybe I can find some J hooks somewhere with a longer reach.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
...... what I always do. I drill "another" hole in that section of the box just above the stake pocket. The J hook is long enough to hook into the meaty part of the bed (that round part on the side of the pocket) without any dammage to the lip. I also get some natural tree rubber and place it under the length of the side, about 2" x the length and recessed about 1/2 inch. I've found out that the boxes are toughfer than the truck! The box will dimple the truck if just the factory stuff is used. I also get three pieces of rubber to cover the inside of the box to keep stuff from sliding around. Natural Rubber is really fexible and generaly has a tan color, it's easy to see the bottom at night. Also, if you have a mini wheel or something, grind off the first J hook just above the zerk nut. I found out the hard way that that J hook can open fingers pretty well....... it really "peels" the fingernails off.

Oh yeah, don't pace the box against the back of the bed. Leave about 1/8 to 1/4 inch between the box and bed. All kinds of stuff will pack in that little crack and leaving some space allows you to pressure wash it out. Well, that and the fact that the lid can hit the glass if you're on a bad angle.... the rubber will help out on that as well.

Can you tell I really like the boxes?

Burner--------------------->

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.