Diesel Place banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 03 D/A A/C has been very poor whenever the temp gets above 85 deg. Above 90 it was downright uncomfortable. The past couple of weeks it has been above 100 in the heartland.
I never put a temp probe on the vents but I would sweat and would have to run the A/C blower on high continuously. I took the truck to the dealer and suggested he check the TSB's for 03 on A/C. He claims that none were applicable, however, he did order a new part. After further questioning, he claimed that another truck owner had claimed the same problem and was adamant that it be fixed (friend of dealership owner). They tried everything to no avail. They then found that the "orifice tube" was sticking and replaced it on his truck w/success. It supposedly controls the amount of freon flow in the system. The service writer claims they informed GM and a TSB was to be issued soon. They replaced it on my truck and what a difference. I now love my truck again and can drive it in comfort with the blower on 1 or 2 after just a few minutes.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yea I have the same problem. Anytime the outside temp gets above 95 you can feel the cab starting to heat up even with the blower going full blast.

Orifice tube. Sounds kinky.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I believe there is a TSB for poor A/C performance with some rather detailed instuctions for checking it out. One of the things they have found is that purging and recharging the system to something less than original specifications improves performance greatly on many units.

Hadn't heard that about the orifice tube. Have to log that one away in the ole noggin.

Fortunately, mine seems to be working pretty good even in 100 degree temps. I do have this sorta "seat of the pants" thing that tells me it does not work as well as the A/C that was in my '01 6.0L gasser! I've seen '02 folks post that their A/C freezes them out. Kinda gives me a totally unscientific hint that perhaps they changed something between the '02 and '03 models. Hmmm, orifice tube??Edited by: gwmayes

·
Registered
6,063 Posts
i believe it had something to do with the AC system being overcharged...

·
Registered
14 Posts
I noticed the weak A/C in my rig this past summer for the first time. Some days when it was 95+ degrees and 90+ humidity, the thing just would not cool even on max fan speed and max cool. I found that if I turned off the a/c button and recirculate button for about five minutes and then turned them back on, that would fix it for awhile.

I have found this to be the only problem I have had on my rig and Fall is almost here so If the problem persists, I will deal with it next Spring or Summer.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Diesel Pusher--My 01 did the same thing when I went to W.Va. three times this pass two years and I found that the cooling coils would freeze up with all the high humidity up there and if I turned it off for about 5 minutes it would start working again. It works fine down here in West Texas with our low humidity so My dealer did the old "Could not Duplicate" trick and I am stuck with it until I go back to the High humidity area.

·
Registered
14 Posts
TX-Dmax:

Thanks for posting. That explains it then. I was coming back from the beach, The Outer Banks of NC and come to think of it, it was plenty humid and then again, it is always humid here in the ATL. That explains it then. Thanks again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts