Diesel Place banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im completely redoing my fuel system with 6an fittings, steel braided line, pre LP 30micron spin on filter, Raptor 100, 10 micron spin on filter and a feed the beast IP fitting.

Anyways I dropped the tank to clean the inside, remove the sock and paint the outside of it. When I pulled the sending unit out, it is covered in what looks like a white wax or something around the tank ring /lock ring. Is this some sort of sealant? I was planning on getting a new o-ring but now sure if thats all I need.

Thanks

·
Registered
100 Posts
When I redid mine I just removed the wax. Upon re-install I just used the o ring.

I could be wrong but 100,000 miles later, no problems.

Brian

·
Registered
5,868 Posts
I just used a crapload of grease on mine

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
That's how they come from the factory. Go to your local hardware store and get a wax ring for a toilet and melt in on there with a torch.

Reactions: 56pan

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
That's how they come from the factory. Go to your local hardware store and get a wax ring for a toilet and melt in on there with a torch.
?????? An open flame to help seal a fuel tank opening??? Please tell me this is an April Fool's Day post!

The rubber O-ring seal for the fuel tank sending unit is replaceable and available at most parts stores. The white wax-like substance is most likely lithium grease applied to keep the retaining ring from tearing the rubber as it's rotated into the lock position. I lubricated mine with some liquid dish soap. ~FH

Reactions: Freddyack

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Iirc ,I believe I slathered some silicone over the top of the edges of the metal ring after installation, just to satisfy my paranoia

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
?????? An open flame to help seal a fuel tank opening??? Please tell me this is an April Fool's Day post!

The rubber O-ring seal for the fuel tank sending unit is replaceable and available at most parts stores. The white wax-like substance is most likely lithium grease applied to keep the retaining ring from tearing the rubber as it's rotated into the lock position. I lubricated mine with some liquid dish soap. ~FH
Umm...... You're not pointing the flame directly at the tank. :rolleyes: You hold the wax ring above the sending unit and let it drip onto it. I've done it 3 times without killing myself...Diesel doesn't explode anyway, it just burns.

·
Registered
320 Posts

The wax-like substance isn't lithium grease to help the o-ring seat, it is a hard wax that covers the ring/seal/everything. I just did mine and had to chip it off - looks exactly like GM melted a bunch of wax on top of the ring clip until the recess was full.

Personally I thought it was aftermarket, seems like too good of an idea to come from the factory :whistle:

I just smeared about half a tube of grease on mine when I put it back in - figure that should keep things from rusting.

Given that diesel requires a ton of heat for combustion, I'd say you'd be fine melting a wax ring like mentioned assuming you don't point the flame into the tank. Completely up to you though, I would just go the grease route and be done with it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.