Diesel Place banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me the differences in water pumps and what years are different?I have an engine that needs a water pump and would like to know how to identify which one I need before I tear it apart.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should ad that it's a v-belt setup

·
Registered
81 Posts
I should ad that it's a v-belt setup
Use a marine one
they shift more water if you have overheating problems with twin thermo housing on fresh water side
My chevys are marine and shift 70 per gallons per minute through cooling raw water system i had a burst pipe on it and had 3 x2000ltr per minute bilge pumps running to keep up with flood !

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the twin thermostat mods and I don't have an over heating issue either. In fact just the opposite. I can't seem to get enough heat out of my K5 during the Winter mos. But that's a whole different thread. I replace the w pump 3 yrs ago . The engine is a '91 so I ordered a pump for a '91. When I got it it had a bolt pattern different to the one on the engine. So, I went back and got one for an '84. That one fit. The felpro engine gasket kit I have has 2 different gaskets . I have since gotten a timing cover gasket kit ( for other work that needed to be done) and it also has 2 different gaskets.
I want to order a new pump from Rock Auto but there are at least 3 different Delco part numbers between an '84 and '91. For a '91 their listing says there's 2 different pumps and to verify which one I need . Unfortunately they don't say how.
I just want to get the right one ahead of time.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
What thermostat are you using? It might be opening too soon,
get a stant if you can.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I don't have the twin thermostat mods and I don't have an over heating issue either. In fact just the opposite. I can't seem to get enough heat out of my K5 during the Winter mos. But that's a whole different thread. I replace the w pump 3 yrs ago . The engine is a '91 so I ordered a pump for a '91. When I got it it had a bolt pattern different to the one on the engine. So, I went back and got one for an '84. That one fit. The felpro engine gasket kit I have has 2 different gaskets . I have since gotten a timing cover gasket kit ( for other work that needed to be done) and it also has 2 different gaskets.
I want to order a new pump from Rock Auto but there are at least 3 different Delco part numbers between an '84 and '91. For a '91 their listing says there's 2 different pumps and to verify which one I need . Unfortunately they don't say how.
I just want to get the right one ahead of time.

Ya the reason is there is V belt used in real 1 tons, Blazers and Suburbans till 91 annnd serpentine belt used in the 1/2T, 3/4T and low spec 1 T all on the GMT 400 chassis from 88 on up .... and throw in 2 different power steering pumps ... now you see the issue...

What thermostat are you using? It might be opening too soon,
get a stant if you can.

Yes, get a Geni GM or Stant stat and you may change it in 7-8 years...

As for dual stat's, most just find them a PITA cause 1 will fail and can cook one side of the engine while the temp gauge doesn't move cause it's on the other side of the block ...

:bigglasse

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thermostat

Ah, ok that explains it. Thanks.

I'm running a Napa # 381-190 at 195*. I tested it in some hot water on the stove and it worked fine. I'm confident it 's the right one but if someone can correct me by all means please tell me. When I rebuilt the engine the block was hot tanked and the entire cooling system was new and I mean everything. I checked the HVAC controls and the blend door . All ok. I even run a factory squarebody winterfront and the heat still leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Ex- 6BT Square Body Man
9,785 Posts
Tell us more about this

84 stepside with 3-53T Detroit 5 spd O/D Spicer

Also any chance you can see any part #'s on the water pump that's currently on the K5?

All ok. I even run a factory squarebody winterfront and the heat still leaves a lot to be desired.
Maybe it's not working hard enough, when I had my plow trucks they would get so warm I'd have to roll the windows down.

Reactions: juanfo

·
Premium Member
1,105 Posts
I get all the heat I need through the unshielded floorboards, the hacked up doghouse and the holes in the firewall.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ya the reason is there is V belt used in real 1 tons, Blazers and Suburbans till 91 annnd serpentine belt used in the 1/2T, 3/4T and low spec 1 T all on the GMT 400 chassis from 88 on up .... and throw in 2 different power steering pumps ... now you see the issue...

As for dual stat's, most just find them a PITA cause 1 will fail and can cook one side of the engine while the temp gauge doesn't move cause it's on the other side of the block ...

They run best @180°stats mine run @195°

·
Registered
81 Posts

Hi
You can veiw one off my engines on youtube search chevy 6.5 supercharged it hangs from a crane lift with video going around engine showing a marine engine which are very differant ! But will get good view off waterpump and saltwater pump
There are two vids watch the one with water coming out off exhausts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tell us more about this

84 stepside with 3-53T Detroit 5 spd O/D Spicer

It's a 1/2 ton Chevy that I put a Detroit Diesel 3-53T with a Spicer 3853-B 5 spd overdrive into. Ran great at 70 mph and 22 mpg. Got coolant in the oil so now I'm building another one at 160 hp with jakes and a 6 speed Dakota trans.

Also any chance you can see any part #'s on the water pump that's currently on the K5?

The pump on the K-5 was a new ( from Napa ) not reman 3 yrs ago . Picked up another one from Napa yesterday same thing . Neither have casting numbers. They are so cheaply made they don't even machine where the rad hose slides on nor do they spot face the mounting bolt holes.

I have 2 unmolested 6.2's ones a 1984 and one is a 1988 . they both have the same OEM pump numbers 14024206.

Maybe it's not working hard enough, when I had my plow trucks they would get so warm I'd have to roll the windows down.
I think that's part of my problem. When I work it it has no trouble climbing on the temp gage.

·
Registered
177 Posts
wow you guys are recommending Stant? lately(last 10 years) I have had nothing but problems with Stant's. it's only ACDelco for me now-a-days. highdesertranger

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
Ya I would rather have a geni GM over a Stant.

Nother thing is CKO stuff is allllll over ... I swear there a cars/trucks in junk yards cause of that stuff.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts