Diesel Place banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say I want to mix my own stuff.
I have ordered an EGT off ebay and I am going to turn up the injector pump when I get back home. The 6.2 can't take hills with a load real good and I don't need to burn a piston but I need a little more power.
I am more into cooling off EGT's and less into getting power form the water/meth injection its self.
What % do you mix water and methanol?
Does the methanol help the water vaporize or some thing, or is it just fuel to help burn off the water?

·
Registered
132 Posts
check out SnowPerformance.com. they explain allot about this stuff. I am thinking about buying the Stage 3 kit someday when I get the money.

Kris

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm building my own, like all ways.
I have the tank, lines and noid I am going to use. And I don't need a pump.
Just need to know what mixture of water/alcohol works good.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Biulding it yourself is cool but still check them out. For the info you are looking for. they explain allot about them on their web page and about the mix ratio. I believe I read you don't want to mix more than 50% meth. I like the stage 3 and how it will work with the computer in my truck. the older ones didn't. I would like to know more as you biuld it and how it works out for you. keep me posted with info if you don't mind. It would be really cool if you could show results on a graph with a dyno. before and after and with the diff. mixes. It is cool to just shoot water in an Engine and get better performance.

Kris

My e-mail is [email protected]
please let me know how things go.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I would guess that the methanol may be good for an additional 10% power, because it has oxygen in it. W/o a turbo, adding more fuel won't do much other than make a bunch of smoke. Nitrous would be a way to get more O2, but an expensive way. I would be curious if using lp and methanol could give you 20% perhaps.

·
Registered
217 Posts
water only OK

Water only will lower EGT and add a little hp. Add meth up to 50% no more for safety. injector size is important and verys with mix. I run about 25% in winter as anti-freeze but pure water to tow with. Get online and lookup water injection. There are better controllers out there then Snow P. I run the Verycool from Coolingmist.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Erkius;1581491; said:
Water only will lower EGT and add a little hp. Add meth up to 50% no more for safety. injector size is important and verys with mix. I run about 25% in winter as anti-freeze but pure water to tow with. Get online and lookup water injection. There are better controllers out there then Snow P. I run the Verycool from Coolingmist.
I checked out their web site, that kit looks pretty neat.

·
Registered
20 Posts
dcrzfitter;1572543; said:
check out SnowPerformance.com. they explain allot about this stuff. I am thinking about buying the Stage 3 kit someday when I get the money.

Kris

http://www.snowperformance.net/ much more interesting... .com gets a bunch of skiing stuff!

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What kind of flow rates am I going to need?
I looked at a lot of those sites but it dosen't tell me how much or how fast it uses water.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I think the flow rates will vary. It will all depend on the nosles you run and the length of hose to the nosle. I bet If you called one of the manufactures they could give you some close numbers.

After looking at the Coolingmist stuff I might go with one of them. It will be some time before I get any more toys for my Dmax. I got a trani to biuld first.

Kris

·
Registered
217 Posts
dcrzfitter;1626714; said:
I think the flow rates will vary. It will all depend on the nosles you run and the length of hose to the nosle. I bet If you called one of the manufactures they could give you some close numbers.

After looking at the Coolingmist stuff I might go with one of them. It will be some time before I get any more toys for my Dmax. I got a trani to biuld first.

Kris
I am runing four 4M nozzles on my truck. Set to come on at approx. 10 psi top at 25 psi. lowers my EGT's by 200 deg runing the Predator 85 tune. I have not gotten any DTC's running this.

Non-turbo engine try one 4m or two 2m nozzles and go up form there. each engine reacts differently so you will need to expariment.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
25 - 30 % with the SD kit gets me about a 200* reduction on hard pulls. The 50/50 mix will get you the most power...but it knocks like heii. I have run the knarly mix on occasion, without trouble, but it is a bit harsh.

·
Registered
217 Posts
oil pan 4;1605111; said:
What kind of flow rates am I going to need?
I looked at a lot of those sites but it dosen't tell me how much or how fast it uses water.
Flow rate depends on size of engine and HP you put out. I run four 4M nozzles. That equals 16 gal per hour (GPH)@ 100psi. With the variable controler (VC) this does not equate to allways running 16 GPH all of the time. That flow will only occure at full throddle. I set my VC to come on at 10psi and it reaches full flow at 30psi. I use about one tank (6 Gal) of water for a tank of diesel. This has worked good with the Predator 85 tune to lower EGT's by over 200deg on a hard pull.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Excuse my ignorance, but why make your own? According to Snow, the cheap $1.50 windshield stuff at Wally Mart is 40-48% meth anyway.
This is the first time i have head of water/meth more than 2 seconds of overhearing some else talk about it. Sounds too good to be true.
1) only $500
2) My trucks 1 gallon resivour should last entire tank of fuel
3) Refills are less than $2
4) gain of 50-100 hp
5) Much lower EGT
6) lifetime warrenty with Snow
7) Simple, fill with diesel at gas station and buy gallon of window fluid, bang! more HP.
Am I missing something? Whats the downside? Got to be a catch to this.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The $500 part is what does it for me.
I made my propane set up for well under $200.
All I need is a way to pressurize the mix.
I think I'm going to use some old fuel injectors for the injectors.
But I need to test them more to make sure they can take a mix of water/meth for a long time.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
i definately wouldnt put some blue window washer crap in my truck, mixing your own i think is a better idea that way you know you have good distilled water and fresh pure methanol.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Anyone ever run straight water? I'm sure you'll be down some power, but how much? I've never priced the meth/water. Is it expensive? How much if you make your own? If it adds upto 70hp, why go with propane? Both cool and add hp, but propane is a hassel and much more $.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My propane is a dream come true, How else could I spend $200 on a non turbo and gain 10-12hp?
You can get Yellow "HEET" gas deicer for $1/pt. Its pure methanol.
You can get it by the 55 gallon drum for $250 not counting shipping.
I was thinking of useing a water/meth/seafoam mix. Just a bit of sea foam to help clean the crap out of the motor.
I'm installing an EGT before much longer. Before I go MadMax with propane, water/meth and nitrous. Water/meth will be my next mod will be this because I can forsee having High EGT's with my truned up injector pump and propane injection while towing a trailer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Thanks for the info. Where did you source a propane sys for $200? Home built? Any source for methanol by the gallon? A 55 gallon gives 110 gallons of 55. Since I use one tank a month (occassional RV trips, some pleasure driving, but not my daily driver), that would last aobut 9 years!!! I've used seafoam in my vw diesel. Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
you should try to find out where the local racers get their menthanol. I pay $140 for a 55gal barrel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts