Diesel Place banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done doing a service on my truck and decided to empty and refill the clutch master and when i removed the lid that must have been tightened to about 100lb ft :eek: the bellow that is under the lid was full of water on the upper side, as far as i can tell there was no water in the fluid but still it shouldent be anywhere in there. THe only place i can see that it came from was through the vent on the top of the lid that is right in line with thetop of the fire wall, water must have been leaking between it and the hood:confused: , has anyone seen this before and have any ideas for fixes??

Thanx for any input or help,
Caleb

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
Well, believe it or not, brake fluid does pull in moisture over time...
My guess in this case is condensation, but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Well, believe it or not, brake fluid does pull in moisture over time...
My guess in this case is condensation, but I could be wrong.
That would be my guess also

·
Registered
219 Posts
http://autorepair.about.com/cs/generalinfo/l/bldef_058.htm

Definition: The brake system uses a glycol-based hydraulic fluid. The fluid is "hygroscopic," which means it tends to absorb moisture over time (never leave a can of brake fluid open for this reason). Moisture lowers the boiling point of the fluid and causes internal corrosion in the brake system. That’s why the fluid should be replaced when brake repairs are made or every two years for preventive maintenance. There are several different types, based on the boiling temperature and other characteristics of the fluid. DOT 3 or DOT 4 is used in most passenger cars and light trucks. Use only the type of fluid specified by the vehicle manufacturer. Using DOT 3 in an application that calls for DOT 4 might create a safety hazard. DOT 5 brake fluid is different from DOT 3 and DOT 4 in that it is silicone-based. DOT 5 is NOT recommended for any vehicle equipped with antilock brakes - but it can provide long-lasting protection against corrosion for vehicles that are stored for long periods of time or are driven in wet environments.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes i would agree that brakefluid draws moisture, but in the resivor you have your brake fluid, then the gasket/diaphram/bellow peice and the the lid, the water was between the gasket/diaphram/bellow peice and the lid, (not even in contact with the brake fluid) but if the gasket/diaphram/bellow would get a pin hole in it or something it would fill the brake fluid with water causing me to have to flush the whole system, and thats something i just dont want to have to do!!!

THanx all,
Caleb

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
My guess would be that it is the plastic cap, is there a breather hole in it? I had trouble with the breather being blocked up and causing condenstion in my snowmoblile gas tank before. Just some food for thought.........

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it could be condensation, i doubt it there was to much( 2 mt dew bottle cap fulls) but maybe im giong to keep a good eye on it untill i figure out how its getting in there!

Hey Adam, Whats the BBQ sauce:confused: ?

Later,
Caleb

·
Registered
2,393 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that explains it, man i need to keep up on my food names here, pretty soon we'll all be running tuna fish and scrambled eggs:lol: !!!!!!!!!

WAY:eek:fftopic: HERE huh?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
that explains it, man i need to keep up on my food names here, pretty soon we'll all be running tuna fish and scrambled eggs:lol: !!!!!!!!!
:funnypost Gives me some more ideas though.......................

WAY:eek:fftopic: HERE huh?
Slightly :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Cap has a little rubber accordian type diaphram in the top of it so I really cannot see how water could get in unless the breather flap doesn't seal correctly. I would definately go with condensation because if the lid was bad it would have also allowed air into the system and not just water.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Caleb,

I've had that happen to me more than once. Since it fills up I can't figure how water off the windshield or someother source could magically get into the vent. I've bought a turkey baster and suck and refill the reservoir with fresh DOT 4 everytime I change oil and the boot always has some water in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts