Diesel Place banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got some water in my fuel the other day. Naturally when you go back to the station, where I received the fuel they denied it. Showing me the analyzer strip with the water content showing .01 and said they don't try to get the water out until it reads 2.0 I have a primary fuel filter Racor R60T (10 Micron) which has a heater and water sensor in a plastic bowl. I drained this filter and saw the water on the bottom of a glass jar. I also drained the factory fuel filter TP1298B which I hardly got any fuel out about a shot glass. I was wondering about this, why not much fuel came out so I drained it again and less came out. I also use Stanadyne Performance Formula. I'm still finding a little water in the R60T.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I got some fuel this past friday, filled her up, 69$ Went home, hooked up to trailer next day and 5mins up road. Water in fuel light... Pulled over drained off factory filter, and aux filter. Happened for next couple days, did pulling all last weekend, Quite aggrivating!!! :mad: Seems to be all gone now though...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still don't understand why the factory fuel filter only little fuel came out. I have drained the old factory filter and a lot came out . This is the new recall filter which suppose to be a 2 media filter and I believe to be 2 micron. Maybe the 2 media has something to do with it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I don't know what kind of "strip" this guy was using or what the .01 or 2.0 readings stand for but, it takes expensive lab equipment to accurately measure amounts of water that are "dissolved" in diesel. There is water paste and strips that are made to detect a water layer at the bottom of a container of diesel. I have no idea what he was using. When agitated, water will suspend in diesel in globules but will settle out and form a layer at the lowest point of a container within seconds after the agitation stops (barring a very large dose of an emulsifier). The new OEM filters (Racor) are duel elements, both 2 microns and both chemically treated (Aquabloc) to block water and said to stop over 99% of any water in diesel as long as it doesn't contain alcohol, ethers or other polar emulsifiers. For what it's worth, when I asked three engineers, in the filter department at Racor, what would happen if the water trap and filter were to be filled with water from a contaminated fuel supply, all three said the "Aquablock" would hold and the engine would starve and stop. I'd consider draining the tank and lines if water keeps showing up in the R60T and, of course, never buy fuel from that place again. As to whether the "Aquabloc" performs as well as claimed, I will be testing it in the near future using an independent lab for the analysis. I have no idea why the factory filter had such a small amount of fuel. Did the fuel that was drained from the OEM filter contain water as well or just the R60T??

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The service station said they have some person check the fuel with a analyser once a week. And the 2.0 is when they will take care of the diesel any reading below this is acceptable. I asked what they do when a reading is 2.0 he said they drain the tank some until a good reading. As far as the factory filter the first time I drain it the jar tip and lose all the fuel which wasn't to much. The second and third drain ( factory filter) there wasn't as much water as the R60T. I'm still getting a little water from the R60T filter

·
Registered
574 Posts
The service station said they have some person check the fuel with a analyser once a week. And the 2.0 is when they will take care of the diesel any reading below this is acceptable. I asked what they do when a reading is 2.0 he said they drain the tank some until a good reading. As far as the factory filter the first time I drain it the jar tip and lose all the fuel which wasn't to much. The second and third drain ( factory filter) there wasn't as much water as the R60T. I'm still getting a little water from the R60T filter
The only thing I've known stations to do is smear some water paste (a paste that turns color upon contact with water) on their long dipstick and check to see how much water is setting at the bottom of the tank. Perhaps that is what he was refering to. If they're talking about "draining the tank" until it's at an acceptable level, it sounds like they're talking about pumping the settled water in the bottom of their tank out which they do. A good place to stay away from. I've seen some stations that have a filter w/water separator on the outside of the pump with the hose coming from that but not many. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
ASTM spec is 500 ppm (.05%) water and sediment, so it is hard to tell where they are getting that 2 number from. As c12719 alluded to, getting an accurate measure of the actual water content requires lab analysis (specifically Karl Fischer titration). The paste and strips more or less just tell you if there is free water present.

·
Registered
574 Posts
ASTM spec is 500 ppm (.05%) water and sediment, so it is hard to tell where they are getting that 2 number from. As c12719 alluded to, getting an accurate measure of the actual water content requires lab analysis (specifically Karl Fischer titration). The paste and strips more or less just tell you if there is free water present.
Thanks for the input as always. That's what I've read as well, 500ppm water and sediment max. Not going to measure amounts like that with paper strips. For fun, that's like 500 inches in 16 miles!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks c12719; This information was very important to me I thought the factory racor filter was 2 microns but I didn't know about the Aquabloc. I'm still draining the R60T, maybe this Aquabloc filter is why I'm not getting to fuel out of and no water signs. But the R60T still has a little water in it. If this continue's I'll drain the tank.
Thanks Again

·
Registered
334 Posts
When draining the factory if you have an extra hand slowly pumping the primer a couple times will move some fluid.

Opening the bleeder may work as well but haven't tried that yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts