Diesel Place banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im not sure what is causing this but over the last 4 days the water in fuel message will come over the cluster for 5 to 15 seconds every 5 to 10 minutes it doesn't matter if i am at an idle or driving down the road.

i have replaced the fuel filter,water sensor and filled the truck clear up with fuel. as well as testing the fuel for water. it didn't change a thing.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Take it to the dealer...

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LOL im the parts guy at a chevy dealership.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I see you have replaced the WIF sensor. If that had not been done, then one step would be to disconnect the WIF sensor and see if the light still comes on. If it is not the WIF sensor itself, then you might have a short in some wiring somewhere.

Since you work at the dealership, do you have access to the truck manuals? There may be a procedure for diagnosing the WIF light.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
at this point im thinking that its broken wire thats grounding out.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
I'm gonna guess your harness is shorted out on the FICM bracket. Seen it many, many times!

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill check it out today thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
710 Posts
That circuit works by the water completing the ground, so you are probably right it is likely a wire in that circuit that rubbed through and is grounding out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am having the exact same problem with my '02. If you could, let us know if it was a wire grounding out. Thanks and good luck.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
no wires grounding out, they all looked good all the way to the FICM, i took off the sheathing because it looked like it had worn a little but none of the wires had any wear, checked for continuity in the wires both were good. i guess my next step is to flash the pcm and cluster or replace the cluster

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turned out it was the instrument cluster to anyone who was wondering. clusters for most 03-06 pickups, tahoes, and suburbans have now been put under a 70,000 mile GM warranty so if any of your gauges have been sticking don't hesitate to take it in and have a sweep test done, they will most likely replace the entire thing under warranty.
thanks for everyones help
Mitch

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
What year is the truck?

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mine is a 2003

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Hmmm...interesting. Thanks for posting your findings.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts