Diesel Place banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Truck is a 2001 3500 dually with a factory installed 2004 Duramax engine. Water in fuel light was flashing every 2 or 3 minnutes when cruizing. It needed the recall fuel filter so I had a dealer replace it and the tailgate cables on the recall. No lights for about 60 miles and then started flashing again. I drained the new filter and thought that was it as the light didn't appear for another 20 miles or so. No water appeared in the drained fuel. Light seems to stay on longer at slower speeds. Tank is 1/4 now so guess it would be wise to have it drained. Or would putting some 90 isopropyl alcohol in the tank do it?

I have an appointment Thursday with a GMC dealer in this little town, but the Mgr. didn't impress me.

Ken

·
Registered
12 Posts
You said you drained the new filter and no water appeared to come out. I would guess that the water in fuel mechanism located in the bottom of the filter is probably filled with crud and sticking giving you a false signal... I usually blow mine out with compressed air when swapping fuel filters.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Truck is a 2001 3500 dually with a factory installed 2004 Duramax engine. Water in fuel light was flashing every 2 or 3 minnutes when cruizing. It needed the recall fuel filter so I had a dealer replace it and the tailgate cables on the recall. No lights for about 60 miles and then started flashing again. I drained the new filter and thought that was it as the light didn't appear for another 20 miles or so. No water appeared in the drained fuel. Light seems to stay on longer at slower speeds. Tank is 1/4 now so guess it would be wise to have it drained. Or would putting some 90 isopropyl alcohol in the tank do it?

I have an appointment Thursday with a GMC dealer in this little town, but the Mgr. didn't impress me.

Ken
:eek: Alcohol? That's a no-no; no alcohol or additives with alcohol.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I saw the other post on water in fuel right after I posted this so no alcohol in the tank for sure. I had the same problem getting much fuel to come out of the drain. Maybe 8 oz. very slowly. cracked the bleeder screw and that helped a little. Going to try draining again, but why didn't I find any water?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If you are not getting any water drainage - the sensor may be bad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have them check the sensor and drain what's left in the tank. Hopefully that will take care of it. It'a still running great so hard to believe there is much water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts